Forty-two: lies and formality

Stiles' P.O.V:

I can't contain my smile as I stare at myself in the mirror. I can't believe I'm taking the most beautiful girl at school-which happens to be my girlfriend-to the winter formal.

They called me underdog, but guess what? I won.

I quickly drive towards Emma's house as excitement fills my senses. I haven't told anyone mostly because my dad isn't home and he hasn't been all day. I wonder what he's up to.

I wish my mom was here. She'd give me advice on how to treat Emma correctly, on how to make her feel like a princess. She'd know this stuff.

But when I knock on her door, I'm greeted by Lydia and her mother. "Hey," I awkwardly say.

"Hey, um, we need to talk." Lydia looks sad and nervous, which is odd in her.

She lets me in and I look everywhere before asking 'where's Emma?'

"I-uh, Stiles." Lydia sighs. "Emma asked me to go with you to the formal. Can you do that for her, please?" she looks at me with pleading eyes.

"But where is she?" what if something bad happened to her? I couldn't take it.

"I don't know," Lydia says, looking down. I know she's lying. "But I do know she wouldn't like you to miss the formal."

I sigh, running a hand through my hair. "Why won't you just tell me?" I say, my voice shaking. "Did she-uh, regret her decision?"

"What? Stiles, I don't know what she's up to, but I'm pretty sure she does love you!" Lydia insists. "I ditched my date, so please come and try to have a good time. I'm not that bad of a person." She rolls her eyes and I give up.

I guide her to my car and we drive in silence. She looks out of the window and I can't help but imagine what would Emma and I be discussing if she was here.

"Nice flowers," she comments, looking at the backseats.

"They were for Emma," I mumble, parking the jeep in the parking lot. "Wait here." I quickly get out, nearly falling down and run to the other side, to open the door for Lydia.

She gets down, straightening her dress repeatedly.

"Jackson, you look handsome," she says when he and Allison pass by us.

"Obviously," this jerk remarks. Poor Lydia, she really doesn't deserve this. "It's Hugo Boss."

"I don't care, I don't want compliments. I will not fall in the desire of society to turn girls emotionally insecure and pull their dresses out at the first flattering remark," Lydia says, more like speaking to herself.

I quickly look at her dress and hair, and wonder how many hours she spent getting ready.

"Well, I think you look beautiful." I look her in the eyes, meaning every word.

"Really?" she smiles and I'm happy that at least she's having a good time.

I offer her my arm and she takes it, as we make our way into the gym.

Music is loud and people are being happy. Stupid normal teenagers; I can see Scott hiding in the bleachers and Allison looking adorable. Lydia and I take one of the tables available and something to drink.

We make small talk at first, but then we just stay quiet. I can't help but think what Emma is doing right now. I have the feeling that Lydia knows exactly what's going on but doesn't want to tell me for some reason.

I see Jackson dancing near us and I know is to make Lydia jealous.

I roll my eyes and decide to help Lydia again.

"Do you want to dance?"

"Pass," she gives me half a smile. Am I really that bad? My own girlfriend disappears of the face of Earth right before the formal and now Lydia doesn't want to dance? What's wrong with me?

"Let me ask again," I say, standing up. "Lydia, get off your cutie little ass and dance with me."

"Interesting tactic," she smirks. "I'm going to stick with no."

"Lydia, get off!" I demand. "You're going to dance with me, okay? I know you don't want to be here with me, I know I kind of ruined your night, but I don't know what's going on and it's killing me! It's killing me not to know where Emma is, what she's doing, what if she's in danger? I can't be there to protect her! I know this is not your business and we're dragging you into it, but Emma is your friend and if you're not going to tell me where she is then help me not to think about it. We know how smart you are. We know one day you'll write some insane theorem and win a Nobel for it."

She looks down, before answering. "Fields Medal."

"What?"

"There's not Nobel for maths. Fields Medal is all I'm winning." She decides to ignore the part when I mentioned Emma as she drags me to the dance floor.

It's so much fun to dance with Lydia; she's really making an effort for me. I know it's for Emma, but I'd like to think  some

We're dancing a slow one, when she suddenly just stops.

"What's wrong?" I ask her.

"I need some fresh air." She lies. I don't need to hear her heartbeat to know so.

"You mean you need to go find Jackson." She doesn't say anything. Dude, she's really attached to him. "I get it, let's go." I walk her out of the dance floor and she waves goodbye.

"Thank you for tonight!" I call after her. She doesn't look back.

I sit down for a bit, trying not to overthink where Emma could be.

And minutes pass by, I don't see Lydia coming back and I start to worry.

Not taking it anymore, knowing that two girls that are important to me are missing, I decide to do something about it.

I try calling Emma, exiting the gym to hear better. Of course she doesn't answer and I don't even have time to call again when I see Jackson on his own.

"Where the hell have you been? Did Lydia ever find you?"

Jackson doesn't say anything; he's breathing hard and he smells like alcohol. "I was at the back of school...I-I was at the back..."

I narrow my eyes, picturing ten different stages. "What happened?"

Jackson looks a bit scared. Like a kid after he knows he did something wrong and it's waiting for the consequences. "Jackson, what happened?"

Nothing; he just stares at me, scared, breathing hard. Smelling like alcohol. "Jackson, what did you do?"

His eyes widen, breathing even harder. "R-remember that time, Mr Argent and my-my car..."

I look at him confused, why would he tell me...?

"You sold Scott out!" I accuse him. "That means you never found Lydia...oh, God, Lydia!"

I push past him; Lydia is out by herself with the Alpha running free through the woods. Why does our school have to be so close to the woods?

The Argents know Scott is a werewolf; they'll kill him any minute. What if Allison knows too? Would she kill him as well?

I run to the first place my mind can think off; the lacrosse field. I run as fast as I can in these stupid pants and when I reach the field I can't believe what's in front of my eyes.

"Lydia! Lydia, run!" I scream to the top of my lungs, even though there's only one thing on my mind.

Is that Emma?