Forty-three: hospital and formality

Emma's P.O.V:

Once I get to the hospital, Melissa is waiting for me. She embraces me in a tight hug, right before directing me to my dad's room.

"Deaton?" I call Scott's boss when I see him standing right next to my father. "What are you doing here?"

Melissa leaves us alone, that's when the vet talks. "I came to see your dad."

"Do you know how it happened?" Scott had mentioned something about Deaton knowing a little bit more than what he should.

"Sheriff said they were near the woods, a car accident had happen, when some animal jumped into your father and bit him." Deaton is examining the wounds in my dad's ribs. The same spot where he bit Scott.

"Will he...turn?" I bite my lip expecting an answer.

"It's hard to say," Deaton says. "He's not dying, at least."

"How do you know when they'll die?" I'm curious of how Deaton knows all of this stuff.

"They are in terribly pain, purple blood comes out of their mouth." I make a face, remembering all of the times Derek had thrown up dark blood in front of me. "Seen it before?"

"More times than I'd like to." I weakly smile at him and then I look at my dad. He's asleep and he doesn't seem to be in pain at all.

"Is it possible not to die but not turn at the same time?" I ask one more time.

"There are rare cases of immune people," Deaton explains.

"What are you, exactly?"

"I'm just a vet." Deaton shrugs.

"Bullshit," I mumble. "I should go now."

"I wouldn't confront the Alpha by myself, Emma." He warns me when I'm halfway through the door.

"Are you a psychic?"

"You should probably go find Scott first."

I nod, quickly thanking him as I make my way out of the hospital. I wave goodbye to Melissa when I bump into someone. I look up to meet Peter's eyes. All the anger I feel towards him is replaced by fear when he looks back at me with that psycho look he always wears.

"Good," he states. "You are going to do exactly what I'll tell you if you don't want to end up like your father."

"Why would you do that?" I ask my voice breaking. "What the hell do you want from me?"

He laughs, evilly, reminding me of Kate. "I want your little boyfriend to show me where Derek is."

"How in hell would he know where Derek is?" He grabs my wrists and I immediately shut up.

"What's going on?" Melissa approaches us. Peter lets go of me and slightly pushes me towards her.

"We, uh, Peter offered me a ride to the formal. Maybe I can still make it to one last dance." I nervously smile and Melissa believes it.

She lets go.

"I knew you wouldn't disappoint me, Emma Lee." Peter smirks, dragging me out of the hospital and into the woods.

"Don't you have a car or something?" I complain, because I'm still in heels and because I rather be with him on the road, where there's other people.

He suddenly stops, smiling like a mental one.

"Lovely Emma," he whispers, showing me his teeth.

"Please don't kill me." I don't even give two steps back when I fall down in these shoes. "Please, I'll do whatever you want."