Thirty-six: Sheriff and wolf's bane

Emma's P.O.V:

After Lydia told me how she felt about Jackson, I felt different. Like, when I was with Allison earlier, she made me feel like she was obligated to tell me everything.

Lydia, instead, made me feel like she needed me. Like I'm important in her life and she trusts me enough to tell me these things. I like that feeling.

I helped her get ready for the game and she even let me use some of her clothes because, as she said, "I need to look cute on my boyfriend's first game."

Stiles isn't my boyfriend, but I didn't complain; her clothes are cute.

I'm not sure about Stiles, he looked very suspicious all day. I wonder what he's getting into and I'm kind of offended that he didn't invite me. After everything we've gone through these past months?

Lydia and I get early to the game. She leaves me alone to go buy some food while I save a couple of seats. But as I spot Scott looking desperately while talking on the phone, I know something's wrong. And-in fact-Stiles isn't here.

I go to the bench, where Scott is frantically standing and on my way I walk into Coach.

"Emma!" he acknowledges me. "Where the hell is Bilinski?" it takes me two seconds to realize he's talking about Stiles. I won't ask.

"That's what I'm about to find out, sir." I wave him off and sit beside Scott.

"Dude," he's saying into the phone, "you're not going to play if you don't get here in time." He pauses to listen what his best friend has to say. "I will."

He hangs up and phone and sighs, putting his head in his hands. "Stiles says that he'll be here, but he's a little bit late."

When Scott finally looks at me, it hits me.

"He won't come, will he?" my voice shakes. What is he up to?

"Scott, what is he doing? What did he find out?" I panic. Is he in danger?

Scott looks at me, confused. "Why do you suppose that he found out something?"

"Because that's how Stiles' mind works." I roll my eyes. "You know he wants to play more than anything, but there's got to be something big enough for him to miss it."

"What's bigger than first line for Stiles?"

"You," I sigh and he looks up at me. "You are important enough for him, okay? He knows something he's not telling us. Where's Derek?"

"Probably hiding," Scott mumbles. "Okay, here's the plan: if Stiles doesn't call in an hour, you get me out of the field and we go find him. Meanwhile..." he looks behind his shoulder, "you gotta entertain his dad."

And just as I leave, Jackson appears. "Does she know, too?" I hear him ask and I scoff as I walk back to Lydia. Sheriff hasn't got here yet.

Does Jackson actually think he's the only one who knows?

I see the Argents near us. I roll my eyes because I hate people. I wonder where Stiles is. Dude, does my mind really works that fast?

Lydia asks me if it's okay if she sits with Allison and I couldn't be happier about it. She's back.

I see Sheriff when the game is about to start and it's my time to act.

"Hey, papa Stilinski," I greet him.

"Where's Stiles?" is the first thing he asks. "He's not on the field."

"Stiles?" nervousness gets me because I don't know where he is neither. "He said he was running late; he'll be here soon," I assure him, though I have a strong feeling that he doesn't believe me. "Do you want to take a sit?"

He just nods so I go take a seat as he silently follows me.

"So..." he starts. "What is exactly going on between you and my son?"

"Oh," I laugh. "Is that how you interrogate your suspects, Sheriff?" he laughs with me. "I don't know. We used to hate each other...but now, things are different, you know?"

"I'd like to know why." Oh, I'll tell you why; our best friend is a freaking werewolf, bitten by a psychotic Alpha who's killing people and now we're involved in a huge supernatural mystery along with discovering who this massive killer is in order to get Scott back to normal again.

"I don't have a car. Stiles offered me a ride one day and it became usual."

"He's had trouble developing relationships ever since his mother..." he sighs. "It's good to know that he loves you." My eyes widen at the Sheriff's confession.

"How do you-how...?" I try to ask.

"The way he looks at you," he states. "The way your eyes lit up when I brought him up."

"Why?" I have to ask. "My dad doesn't like...us, together."

Papa Stilinski just laughs, like what I just said doesn't make sense at all.

"It is completely different: you are your dad's little girl, and the fact that you're hanging out with my son isn't funny for him at all. But me? My boy just got a beautiful and smart girl all for himself; I couldn't be happier about it."

"Thank you, Sheriff," I smile at him and he hugs me.

"Now, where the hell is my son?"

"He'll be here any minute."

He doesn't get here until the match is over.

His dad is already gone, like everyone else. I'm sat alone in the bench, my favourite bench, with Scott's lacrosse hoodie on, because it's really cold out here.

As soon as I see him jogging towards me, I stand up and open my arms for him.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," he says repeatedly, once he holds me close.

"Shut up, Stiles," I cry out, because I was the hell worried for him. "Why didn't you just tell me?"

"You were so happy," he sighs, holding me even closer. "I'm sorry, Em."

"Where were you? What were you doing?" I can't help but ask.

"Derek's uncle," he says, his eyes going wide in fear. "He's the Alpha, he almost killed me."

"You were about to die, you fucking idiot! I should have gone with you." I stand up and reach for his hand.

"Why?"

"If you die, I die with you."

"That is so cheesy, Emma."

"It's true!" I can't help but smile, because he's already smiling back at me. "Let's find Scott, we have a big problem here."

"Yeah, you really need to improve your lines."

"Shut up, I'm romantic" I roll my eyes as we run towards the locker room.

"You're not."

"You love me."

"You love me more."

We haven't changed one bit.