Chapter XII

It was already nine in the morning of a beautiful Saturday, Allison and I were sitting at the table getting ready to eat our breakfast while my mother was basically dancing in the kitchen like she usually would. We both had bags under our eyes - for good reasons too, we had stayed up all night talking about.. Well, basically a little bit of everything, Allison told me some juicy details from their childhood - how different Nathan was before hell struck and they lost their father. How different he was before their mother made a one-eighty degree change in her personality. A sad smile was residing on her face during the night. It was nice, really nice to have someone to talk to.

We watched the sunrise together in silent - the sky was painted in various colors, primarily orange, it was a beautiful day - just like every other in the state of California. I heard rain was uncommon here, although with me here - it should be more frequent. Maybe I'm the solve to the drought! During the night, all that echoed throughout my mind was something that Allison had said at the beginning of the night; 'Someday we'll legally be siblings', I'm still unsure as to how that corresponded to Nathan, maybe their mother would marry my dad, or even worse! My mother?! Nah, that didn't make sense.. Maybe I'm just shallow - which, let's be honest, I totally am, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Speaking of my mother - she dashed out of the kitchen with a bright smile on her face, her hands were occupied by two, seemingly, gigantic plates filled with breakfast goodies. I knew she was trying to make us feel better, the smile was helping but the food, oh the food. If there's one thing to cure sadness - it's food. I could munch on a pizza all day and be happy, well, until it's gone that is - then I would have a deep existential crisis after it's gone.

On the plate resided some scrambled eggs, crispy bacon that was to die for - my mother's bacon is like, world class bacon, Gordon Ramsay you better be shakin', she's coming for your shit - there were some vegetables that I pretended I did not see. Vegetables made me feel disgusting, they made my mouth feel disgusting as well, but that's besides the point. Allison and I thanked my mother for cooking us breakfast with kind smiles that she had reciprocated. We both dug in, cleaning our plates in what seemed like no time - but it reality it had been a few minutes. I should enter a food eating competition, my mouth is basically a vacuum cleaner!

Even though it wasn't that much, or at least appeared not to be as much food as there actually was, I felt really full. Have you heard about a simple diet trick? If you use smaller plates, same portions will appear bigger than on a large plate - life hacks with Jordan! Be thankful. Probably the reason why I'm fat, 'cause my plates are all gigantic, Shrek who?

Allison thanked my mother for the breakfast and got up looking at me, we decided not to bother my mother at this time and walk to the hospital, we needed some fresh either way. I tossed Allison a sweater that I loved, she was still wearing her clothes from yesterday that consisted of booty shorts and a tank top - she would freeze to death. Even though the sun was shining it was still early morning - and early mornings are notorious for low temperatures, aren't they? I'm Canadian, give me a break! We yelled 'goodbye' to my mother who returned it from her room and ventured out into the big bad world. "Hey, do you think we could go to my house first? I need a change of clothes, plus Batman is probably starving and Nathan would kill me if I didn't feed him." Allison said, explaining her situation.