Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The only thing I learned about matchmaking your best friend and the guy she has a crush on is that you shouldn't.

I groaned as my phone went off for the 5th time this night as I finished up my homework. Quickly, I scanned through and read as my friend begged me to come to watch a movie with her and her boyfriend.

At times, I found it funny how they were seniors and Belle's parents didn't know they've been dating for 1, almost 2 years.

Their reasons were simple. Her mom was a lawyer and her dad worked as a detective and she was raised with overprotective parents.

By now though, I'm sure they had a hunch of what was going on.

"My mom said as long as it remains "unofficial" it's fine," I recall Belle explaining to me when I complained about her secrecy.

Trust me. They were pretty official.

I rolled my eyes and quickly changed into a plain black crop top and a pair of high wasted, light washed skinny jeans. My makeup stayed light and natural, only doing my brows and a bit of clear gloss.

The process was a routine now. For any date they went on, I was present to make it a 'friendly get-together' in front of her parents.

With their busy lives, they barely found time to fit in dates but still, they managed to pull through for a couple. The norm was that they would buy me tickets for whatever movie they decide to make out in while I sat 3 seats away and actually watched the movie like the saint I was.

Today's movie just happened to be IT.

Great. A classic scary movie was the move and I wasn't complaining.

The two hours and a half, until I decided to hop into my car, was filled with homework and filling out my college applications.

Boring, but a must.

•••

"Yo, stop eating my best friend's face," I told Tony, pulling Belle away from him.

He rolled his eyes and extended an arm to pull her back. I laughed and yanked her away harder.

"Nope, my baby." I glared playfully, hugging her tighter to me.

She laughed and fished into her pocket for a crumpled up ticket and handed it to me.

"I swear to god, why is it that I am such a nice human being?" I complimented myself, examining the ticket for its information.

The two of them shared a look of strained silence before bursting out laughing.

"Mhm. Nicest person ever!" Belle said sarcastically before heading to the concession stand.

The lit display of junk food held an appeal and interest in me and I succumbed and ordered nachos, a bag of Takis, and a blue raspberry ICEE.

God damn. Goodbye, stupid diet.

It wasn't like I needed to work out and stay healthy. Hell, I was the total opposite of that. Chips on the daily, spicy preferred. The amount of soda in my diet was replaced by 5000 gallons of pink lemonade.

Yet, the fact that I could down a 'family-sized' bag of Hot Cheeto Puffs in less than 25 minutes was enough to poke some sense into me. Soon, I realized that it was inevitable to escape my doomed early death from chips. Or more precisely, their colorant and dyes. Still, I gave no fucks.

The two mumbled about the food in my hands and quickly agreed that this "phase" ended just as quickly as the next one would like it always did.

"Guys this is literally the last time I'm doing this, just tell your parents already." I reminded them, "I'm busy this year with college apps and the upcoming season games and practices."

"But—" Bella started but I shook my head and headed to Theater 11.

Ignoring them, I trudged my way through what was a somewhat empty theater to find a good seat.

I mean, only true psychopaths would watch "IT" at nearly 12 in the morning.

But low and behold, I'm here—the true clown of the night.

The movie started and we had all sat down in our seats. Well, most of us at least. Belle found herself in a comfortable position on Tony's lap instead.

I reclined my seat back and thanked God for my comfort because it was about to be a long-ass night.

•••

It was already 2 in the morning before we chose to leave the theater; me driving Belle back because of the whole 'parents situation'.

She managed to fill any second we weren't bursting into karaoke with comments about how hot her man was and I was already starting to be bothered with the fact that I would have to sneak back into the house and hopefully avoid my mother's wrath.

I rolled my eyes as we neared her driveway and dropped her off and watched as Bella hopped out and snuck back quietly through the back door so that she wouldn't wake her parents up.

My drive back stayed uneventful and boring.

All I did was promise myself that first thing tomorrow morning, I was to head down to the track to do some drills and warm-ups.

After all, a new school year meant back to the old empty promises of a "healthier and more academically prepared for school" me.

•••

Hey guys :) I learned to just put short comments and things up at the top as it's seen by more people. But don't worry, sections like these won't belong! The chapters will be fairly short but will be updated often (hopefully). So enjoy the book and please share, comment, and vote!

-Anne

Edit 2: It has been a long time coming but I'm back to editing this book! I'm so grateful for all the love it had and has received over the years! Please feel free to comment and though I try my best to reply, know that I check all notifications and read all your comments! 

•••
Updated: 12•10•17
Edited: 9•30•19
Edited 2: 10•10•20