Chapter 22

Chapter 22

The car ride to school was filled with small talk and the comfort in each other's presence as Grayson kept one hand on the steering wheel and the other on my thigh.

I, on the other hand, scrolled through Instagram, momentarily updating Gray on some of the kids at school before engaging in a conversation about Belle and me.

"She's like family to me but I guess over the years we've drifted," I admitted, "It's difficult trying to keep a friendship when someone is constantly trying to add another person in."

Grayson nodded, "Like fixing something that doesn't need fixing, right?"

Immediately I agreed, snapping my head at the comment that managed to put into words exactly how I felt.

"I constantly felt like a third wheel." I told him, "It was Belle and I hanging out with Tony but more like Tony and Belle hanging out with me. We had promised to not keep things from each other but slowly, she began hiding things from me and I began finding out from Tony."

"That's messed up," Grayson responded, reaching for my hand, "She should've taken you into consideration."

I couldn't help but feel comfort in the way he was agreeing with me.

Generally when disagreements happened, Tony had always taken Belle's side whether she was right or wrong. It was a nice change for once to have someone else agree with my opinions.

"Her parents don't know about it either," I sighed, "And I'm constantly helping them hide it and they started to take it as something mandatory and not a favor. I'm honestly a pushover when it comes to her because we went through a lot together and I don't want to just abandon it at that because of some guy."

Grayson shook his head, "You're not a pushover but I think you're just a good friend princess. From what I've heard, you seem to just want the best for her and be treated better. No one should feel bad for wanting to be held at the same standard."

I smiled at Grayson's words, something I didn't expect coming from him. He was actually really intellectual when it came to the way he talked when we were alone to ourselves. He was someone who had a lot to say and when given the chance to be listened to, the words that came out of his mouth always interested and captivated me. Yet, when he was the one who was listening, he analyzed the information being told to him and gave his honest point of view, something that I was thankful for.

"Are you going to tell her though?" Gray asked, almost reminding me in a way, "If she finds out the same way you found out about her and Tony, it would be a taste of her own medicine but would you feel good about it?"

I groaned, "I guess you're right. I just don't want to make the first move to apologize when it isn't my fault."

"Whenever you guys are ready to talk about it," Grayson reassured, rubbing the back of my hand, "You should."

I nodded in agreement before opening my phone to send her a text, deciding not to be petty over a misunderstanding between friends, only to see that Belle was typing.

Belle: hey

Lana: hey

Belle: look, i'm sorry
Belle: i know i overreacted

I didn't know what to say because, in my eyes, she did. It was a taste of the betrayal of finding out something before being told and I was hurt when I found out too.