Chapter 34 | Last Speeches

At first I planned on posting this when the last chapter hit 100 reads but I couldn't because you guys deserve chapters! I'm feeling a lot better so I guess you can look forward to a couple chapters this week :) Maybe every other day?

It was only the last chapter when I told you guys how grateful I was for 10K+ reads and somehow you guys have managed to change that number to 11K+ before I could even comprehend.

I'm so thankful for everyone even the silent readers! Thank you for everything and here's a new chapter to celebrate!

I'll probably postpone a new book until I finish this one! Check out my random shit book, Lowkey Highkey A Kween.

Please vote, comment, follow, and share! I love you guys!

-Anne

•••

Chapter 34 | Last Speeches

After the initial state of shock, I found myself in the arms of Grayson's mother as she thanked me for sticking with her son.

He smiled and I smiled back at him, both happy at the current situation.

"Ma, I'll catch you back at home, I'm going to say goodbye to the rest of the team." He told her, slightly pulling me from her grasp.

"Don't rush honey, I took a week long leave to catch up with my son." She replied, her voice soft and laced with honey.

Grayson smiled and turned around, not before giving a wave to his mother like a little boy.

It was sweet to see him so caring.

We separated and headed to our respective team huddles for the last goodbye.

"Now that Lana is here," Hailey started, smirking a bit as she saw what I was up to, "I would like to say a few words."

"For starters, being on the team for the last 2 years has been such an unforgettable experience. I know I haven't been the easiest person to deal with but I'm glad you accepted me even when you wished I disappeared from the face of Earth." A few of the cheerleaders laughed, knowing the full truth to her statement.

"Despite being injured so early on this season, you girls never failed to make me proud! I'm so thankful to be apart of such a team. And Lana, even though you choose to stay out of the spotlight at first and choose to break the 'dumb ditzy blonde cheerleader' stereotype, I'm glad we were co-captains because if anything; I think you had the most to offer to the team this year." With that, her mascara started running as she closed off her speech. Denni reassured her and patted her back, trying to sooth her tears with waring of her 'ruining her makeup'.

As that whole mess unfolded, the whole team soon diverted their attention to me. Even the junior varsity cheerleaders had gathered around as well.

"Though I choose not to put my self into the social crowd as much as some of y'all, I can for sure say that I've built a bond with some of the people here that kept me as a returner year after year. I want to let you guys know that being a cheerleader doesn't mean you hoe around half naked as you cheer for the opposite sex. It's much more than that so never let anyone put you down for this wonderful experience. This team was one of the best I could've ever ask for and all I hope is for it to continue to stay this way after all us seniors leave. Step up your game and don't be afraid!" I took a deep breath and looked around.

Most of the girls were tearing up, holding each other's hands. In all honesty, as much drama that went on in cheer, we were all a family.

"I can easily say that each and every single one of you have made my varsity senior cheer, my favorite by far. I just want you to know, whether you're freshmen or grown ass adults, you always got me. So if you ever want to talk, you have my number. I love you guys." I ended, a couple tears falling as well.

We pull ourselves in for one last team hug before Coach Tori stood up and got ready to call for a break.

"For those who can, I hope to see you next year as returners. For those who are leaving us this year, I hope you stay in touch with these girls and myself as well. Ready, let's get a break." She said, her voice cracking part way through.

Coach Tori sacrificed a lot for us, so naturally I knew she would cry. She was young and connected to us as a friend but was looked up to and respected.

She would always be there if we needed anything.

"Call it, Hailey and Lana." She ordered as everyone put their hands in. A couple of girls pulled out their phones to record it, me being one of them.

"COLTS ON THREE, COLTS ON ME, READY, ONE, TWO, THREE—" Me and Hailey started as we looked at each other.

"COLTS!" And with that, we all pulled in for one big hug, no doubt looking like a mess.

I looked over to see Grayson down on one knee with the rest of his team, listening to their coach's last words of the season.

Slowly, I made my way to the now nearly empty bleachers to find Lincoln and Bradley as well as my mom.

"Sorry we made it kind of late hun, we caught the last couple minutes though." My mother explained. I couldn't tell if it was genuine but I smiled anyways as I gave my brothers a hug.

"It's wayy last your bedtime! I'll bring G over to play one day." I reassured them, as I caught their gaze to look at Grayson.

They yawned and my mom nodded sympathetically as she walked them back out to the car.

Eventually, the football team had their last huddle and all dispersed, leaving me and Gray alone on the field.

"This is it, isn't it?" I asked him, as he rested his chin on me.

The stadium lights shone brightly before slowly one by one they began to flicker off.

"Nope, Elana Maeabelle Dunns. This is just our beginning." With that, Grayson placed a soft, sensual kiss on my lips before we walked off campus and the field one last time.

"Come on, I've got a surprise."

•••

Updated: 3•20•18

Updated: 3•20•18