Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Days turned into weeks and they all seemed to pass by in a blur. Despite having nothing new to do, my schedule was busy, cycling between schoolwork, cheer, and the senior yearbook. 

Belle and I, though remaining close friends, had spent most of our time apart, occasionally seeing each other in person, but generally meeting alone over Facetime instead. It was a compromise that both of us found that we could handle even if we still had our disagreements. 

She still hadn't approved of Grayson and I was starting to think that she never would. Yet, we stayed clear from the topic of the guys in our life, knowing that it was a touchy subject for us both. 

The cheer practices two times a week were beginning to get draining but I learned how to manage my time better. I squeezed in time to do homework between working out and practice and amidst all that, I edited and took photos of the seniors for keepsake in the memory book. 

Senioritis was hitting harder than it did the years before when I hadn't even hit senior year yet. I spent my late nights filling out college apps, applying to those that had given me fee waivers in hopes that I would apply, and the schools that I had actually wanted to attend. 

Grayson and I, on the other hand, had spent any time we had to spare with each other, whether it meant rides to school or the very few dates we could squeeze in between practices. Every day seemed to be a blessing in disguise and he was someone who seemed to genuinely make me better. We didn't get to spend every moment of every day together, but for some reason every time I saw him, I seemed to be able to let out the breath I was holding all day to finally relax. 

Honestly, I just wish that I could just relax in my room and eat McDonald's French fries and ice cream for a week. 

But of course, a wish was a wish for a reason and I quickly got up after my alarm rung again after hitting the snooze button three times to sit in my cozy bed on my phone. It was nearly impossible to fall back asleep with the light blindly shining through the window. 

Today was Friday and more importantly, the end of Pink Week. 

Pink Week was a week dedicated to breast cancer awareness that all the football teams in our district participated in, our school was known for going all out every year. This was one of the 'big four'  in large turnout numbers for the Clearwater Colts, the others being the blackout white-out rival game and the first and last game of the season.

The guys on the team had switched out their football cleats for pink ones for October, while the annual pink helmets were brought back into rotation. Those who used them switched out their arm sleeves and braces for pink ones as well. To kick off the month of October with Pink Week for breast cancer meant that some of the guys on the team had temporarily dyed their hair pink as well.

The entire student body was excited, everyone pulling out their pink outfits for the spirit week leading up to the game. Yearbook, senior memory, and leadership spent the last two weeks finalizing the shipments of materials in bulk to decorate the field and bleachers. 

Everyone was overworked, football players and cheerleaders included. 

Gray had been on edge, more or less having to do with the game. Especially since this was one of the most important games of the season for the players, with scouts coming to look at all the potential seniors they should scout. 

•••

"Babe, you'll do fine today," I told Gray, who had been pacing back and forth since he got to my house.

"Yea, I guess." He mumbles, not bothering to make eye contact.

Gray tended to put up a casual front with a 'relaxed and living with no worry' way of approaching things. It wasn't until we started dating, that I found out he had a slight but cute habit of pacing.

"These scouts have had their eyes on you since freshman year, if anything they are worried because they have to fight for you to even consider their team," I tell him, shoving another spoonful of cereal in my mouth before placing it in the sink.