~Chapter 1~

Ding!

The bell went off signaling someone just entered the store. This was just another Wednesday for Harry, who was a regular at Patty's Pet Store.

He rushed over to the cat food aisle and quickly pretended to look busy examining the different ingredients in each can. Scrunching his eyebrows together he slowly peered up from beneath his curls, and sighed in relief when seeing the older boy still carelessly flipping through the pages of some magazine.

It had become sort of a routine for Harry. Every few days he would go to the local pet store and buy one or two fifty-cent cans of cat chow, but it was mainly to just kind of admire what the older boy was like. In a totally non-creepy way though. In Harry's mind Louis was some kind of angel sent down to Earth. The only angel in the world.

Too bad he hates me though, Harry thought, watching as the other boy got up from his post to sweep the store with a sigh, as he always did at 2:30 PM. This was the time Harry took to walk up to the only other cashier.

"Hello Sadie!" Harry greeted with a small smile, setting the cans in front of the old woman. She wore a yellow knitted sweater and a flowy white skirt. She kept her long gray hair back in bun, with one giant flower pin clipping it all together.

"Good Afternoon Harry! The usual I see," She chuckled, "You know Harry you're here every other day, I'm telling you, you might as well work here."

"Oh, I don't know Sadie, maybe one day," Harry smiled.

She's offered that quite a few times and he always gives her the same answer. He doesn't think he could handle 3-4 hours with Louis. He might faint, or throw up, or say something stupid, or trip and crash into one of the aisles causing each shelf to fall on the next one like dominoes. The possibilities of Harry embarrassing himself in front of his life-long crush were endless. Plus, school was starting in two days and he knew he'd be extremely busy. He had 9 hours of boredom, then homework, food, and sleep. Overwhelming, he knows.

"Okey-Doke Harry you are all set to go," Sadie sighed handing over the plastic bag with the cans . He thanked her and quickly went back outside, putting the bag in the bike's basket, hopping on, and riding home.

~*_*~

"Mum! I'm home," Harry yelled shutting the front door behind him.

"Harry honey, I'm in the kitchen," Anne called to her son.

Harry set the cans in the hallway closet and picked up one of his cats, Julip, peppering her fluffy gray face with kisses as he walked over to his mom.

"Hey mum."

"Hello dear, I just wanted to let you know Jay and I are going to Pins for practice and the team is eating dinner, I'll be back at around seven, so there's some chicken in the fridge and some cut up fruit, if you get hungry," she paused and checked her watch, "She's picking me up in ten minutes. I hope you don't mind being alone for so long."

"Not at all Mum, have fun," he kissed her cheek and she went upstairs to grab her bowling uniform jacket. He really didn't mind at all. Jay, yes, the mother of his crush, was his mum's best friend and they did everything together. Seriously, every Friday Jay would pick Anne up to go to Pins for bowling team practice, which is the local bowling place. In fact, Jay, Louis, and Louis's sisters came over quite often, but usually Louis didn't even notice Harry- well more like ignored him. Louis didn't want to be associated with the school's loser and Harry understood that. He was bullied at school, it wasn't bad last year, just a few mean word and stares. But he was a freshman then, and at Edwin High School, freshmen were just kind of invisible. He just wished he could stay that way.

Hello!!! Sorry this chapter was so short, it was mainly just to try to get some of the background info out there to have as a base. Sorrrryyy I pinky promise as the story progresses the chapters are gonna get longer!!!

 I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of A Different Light! ahhh I'm excited idk

All the Love, Ten <3