chapter eight - a trip down memory lane part 1

Ethan's POV;

"Someone call 911!" Shaila yelled.

I didn't even think twice before jumping into the pool and pulling Eliza out. I pulled her out of the pool and laid her on her back next to the pool. Her eyes were shut and she wasn't breathing. That's when Nolan came over.

"I learned CPR last year in health class, I got this!" He said confidently.

I backed off and let him take care of it. After about 2 minutes, she coughed up water and gasped for air.

"Eliza, are you okay?" I asked, grabbing her into my arms.

"What happened?" She asked.

"What happened!" Shaila said, looking at Jeremy. She looked as if she was about to murder someone. She stomped over to him and once she made her way to him, she pushed him back. "Screw you, Jeremy!" She yelled.

"Screw me? Screw you. Screw you all. You all think you know your little Liza, but you don't know what she did last year when she was at that so called "private" school. Here's some news for you guys; she was at boarding school with me. Little Liza couldn't control herself so mommy sent her away." Jeremy said.

I had just about enough of him. I let my feelings take over and I swung a fist at him, causing him to fall onto the floor. Everyone jumped, I could tell they were scared. Just then, the paramedics showed up and Jeremy ran off.

Eliza's POV;

The paramedics helped me and took me to hospital. I was laying in the hospital bed, when Shaila walked into the room.

"Hey." I said, smiling.

"Hey." She said, smiling back. "The doctor says you have a concussion, but you'll be fine to go home tomorrow. They just want to watch you over night, since you hit your head pretty hard."

"Oh. Good." I replied. I wasn't sure what to say; I knew what I had to do though. "Is Ethan here? And Nolan?" I asked.

"Yeah. Want me to get them?" Shaila said.

"Please. I need to talk to you all."

Not long after that, Ethan, Nolan and Shaila walked into the room.

"How are you doing?" Nolan asked.

"I'm fine." I said, smiling. I looked up at Ethan. "But I need to talk to you guys."

"Yeah." Ethan agreed.

"I'm sorry that I lied about who Jeremy was. I just didn't know how to tell you what really happened. I was scared you might not like me anymore."

"Liz, we will always love you." Shaila said.

"When my dad left, it was right before freshman year.....

~ Start of Flashback ~

"Mom, Dad! I have everything packed for my first day of high school tomorrow!" I yelled, running down the stairs. I came down, realizing, there was tension between the two. "What's going on?" I asked.

My dad walked up to me and looked sad.

My dad and I were always close. I never was that close with my mom before my dad left.

"Eliza, you know I love you right?" He asked.

"Of course, Daddy. But what's the matter? Where are you going? Why do you have a suitcase with you?"

"Sometimes people are not happy and they just need to go away." He said.

"But you can't. You can't leave me. I need you, Dad." I said, starting to cry.

He just kissed my forehead. "I love you, Little Liz." He said before walking out the front door.

I turned around to my mom, who was sitting in the kitchen, looking completely blank.

"This is all your fault! I hate you!" I yelled before running up the stairs into my bedroom.

I instantly regretted saying that. I didn't mean it, I was just angry and looking for someone to blame.

~ End of Flashback ~

"I stayed in my room for the rest of the night and the full first week of high school. My mom tried getting me to come out, but I didn't want to. I thought maybe if I waited, he would come back. But he never did." I said.

"So, that's why you didn't come to school that first week? We called your mom and she said it was because you weren't feeling well." Nolan said.

"Yeah, I wasn't feeling well at all." I said.

"So, how did you end up going to boarding school?" Ethan asked, coming closer.

"Well, things started getting worse when I realized he wasn't coming back. I decided I wasn't sad anymore, just angry."

~ Start of Flashback ~

I finally got out of my bed and I grabbed some paper and a pen. I started writing a note to my mom.

Mom,

I've realized that Dad has moved on and so should I. I need to leave. I need to get out of here. Sometimes when people aren't happy, they need to go away. I need to go away. I love you and I hope you can understand. Please don't come looking for me, because I will just keep running.

Signed,
Eliza.

I packed up my stuff and left the letter by my mom's bedroom door. I walked out the door with no hesitation. I didn't have my license at the time, so I just started walking and taking the bus far, far away. I ran for three days, until a cop stopped me at a bar. I wasn't drinking, I was just sitting there with some water and all of my stuff I brought. He took me home, back to my mom. She was so glad to see me again, but she was worried I'd try something else, so I was basically on house arrest after that.

I did my freshman year online. It was okay for a while and I was improving. That was until I decided to look up my father online one day. I found out his new address and tried going there. Once I was finally able to get out of the house. I found it easily.

It was summer and I was walking up to his new house, excited to finally see him again after that whole year of no communication. I knocked on the front door and he came out. He looked at me, confused. I understood because I just showed up with no warning, but I was so excited to see him.

"Hi Daddy!" I said.

"Uh-" was all he said.

Just then, a lady came up next to him.

"Honey, who is this?" She asked.

"Honey?" I asked, confused. I looked down at her stomach and she looked about 9 months pregnant. Wow, it hardly took a year and he's already having a baby with another woman.

"Do you know this girl?" She asked.

He looked at her, then at me. "No, I - I don't know who this girl is." He said.

"What?" I said.

He then just shut the door on my face. I was so hurt that the man I had been loving and wanting to come back in my life had already moved on and forgotten about me.

I was so angry at that moment. I saw a baseball bat sitting in his yard and I took advantage of it. I grabbed it and started hitting his precious truck with it. He loved that truck. I hated that truck. He called the police and I went to juvi that night. My mom picked me up and sent me off to boarding school for my sophomore year. She thought it would be a good thing for me.

~ End of Flashback ~

"Wow, that's so hard. I'm so sorry Liz." Shaila said.

"We had no idea." Nolan said.

"He was not a good father and you deserve so much better." Ethan said.

"Thanks guys." I said.

"So wait, where does Jeremy come into this story? What happened at boarding school?" Shaila asked.

"That's a whole nother story." I said.

~ Start of Flashback ~

To be continued....