chapter fourteen - one night, three birthdays

December 15.

It was Thursday and I was in my last class of the day, English.

I hadn't talked to Ethan much after Sunday night. I keep wondering how things went with him and whoever Jessica is. I also haven't talked to Nolan at all. He's been out sick all week.

After class, I went outside and started walking to my car. Ethan met me at my car.

"Hey you." He said.

"Hi Ethan, what are you doing here?" I asked.

"Nice to see you too." He said, smiling.

"Sorry, I just have a lot on my mind." I said.

"Like our birthday party?" He asked.

"Super excited for that." I said.

Since my birthday is the day after the twins, we are sharing a birthday party on Friday night.

"We will be 18." He said.

"Adults. Legal." I said, laughing.

He smiled at me.

"So how's Jessica?" I asked.

"Eliza, it was nothing I promise." He said.

"Doesn't matter to me. I was just asking." I said.

He walked up closer to me and grabbed my chin in his hand, just like when we first met. He smiled at me and made me smile back.

"You're still totally into me." He said.

I pushed him away.

"What! No way!" I said, crossing my arms.

He laughed.

"Well, I'll see you at the party tomorrow then." He said, walking away.

---------

December 16.

I woke up early to start setting up for the party. We were doing it at my house.

Soon after starting the set up process, I heard a knock at the door. I opened it and saw Ethan and Grayson.

"Happy Birthday guys!" I said, hugging them both.

We set up for a while and they left to get ready for the party.

I took a shower and got ready. I put my hair up in a ponytail. I wore a short, slim fitted, black dress with long sleeves and low-cut back. I put on some black heels and headed downstairs.

Ethan and Grayson were already here. They looked really good.

"You guys clean up nicely." I said.

"Thanks, you look great yourself." Grayson said.

"Thank you." I replied.

"You look, just wow." Ethan said, smiling.

"Stop." I said, smiling.

"No way." He said, smiling back at me.

"You're totally still into me." I said, smirking at him.

"No way." He said, blushing.

---------

The party started and my house was full of people. We all socialized for a bit.

I went out the front door to get some fresh air. I saw Nolan walking up to my house.

"Nolan." I said.

"Hi birthday girl." He said, smiling.

He hugged me and we hugged for a long time.

"We need to talk." I said.

"Yeah." He said.

We sat down on my porch and neither of us said a word for a while.

"So." He said.

"So, I feel like things are weird between us and I don't want them to be." I said.

"Liz, I don't want them to be weird either, but I'm not the one making them weird. You still haven't been honest about how you feel about me." He said.

"I know, I'm sorry. But I'm ready now, I promise." I said.

"And?" He said.

"I love you so much, Nol. You've been my best friend my whole life and I don't know what I'd do without you. But-" I said.

"But you don't want to be more than best friends." He said, finishing my sentence.

"It's not because I don't think you're amazing, I just love the friendship we have and I don't want to change that. I'm sorry Nolan." I said.

"Don't be, I understand. I just want you to be happy." He said, smiling at me.

I hugged him.

"Shall we go in and find Shaila?" He asked.

"You go, I'm right behind you." I said.

"Okay. Also, I won't tell Shaila that you called me your best friend you've ever had." He said, smiling.

"Yes you will." I said, knowing how competitive they are.

"You're right." He said, laughing.

He went inside. I sat at the porch a while longer when Ethan came outside. He sat down next to me.

"So you talked to Nolan?" He asked.

"Yeah, I did." I said.

"I take it you two aren't getting together?" He asked.

"Him and I have always been best friends and I don't think there will be anything more than that." I said.

"I see." He said. "Well I'm here for you." He continued.

"Thank you, E. You're pretty great." I said.

I laid my head down on his shoulder and he rested his head on mine. He looked at his phone and it was 12:01am.

"Happy Birthday, Eliza." He said, smiling.

"Thank you." I said, smiling back.

I put my head up and looked at him. He leaned in and kissed me. I put my hands on his face and kissed back. He put his hands on my waist and pulled me closer into the kiss.

This felt right. Better than ever before. Like for the first time in a long time, I could breathe.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

THANKS FOR READING!!!