chapter twenty one - last first day

I woke up to my annoying alarm clock. I groaned as I reached over to turn the alarm off. My eyes were still closed as I was contemplating going to school or not. Summer was not long enough.

I finally decided to get up and get ready for school. After I got ready, I went downstairs to kitchen. "Good morning!" Rob said as he was placing plates onto the table. "You hungry?" He asked, smiling.

"Yeah." I responded, taking a seat.

My mom, Rob and I ate breakfast together before I walked out the door for school.

"Have a good day sweetie!" My mom yelled from the kitchen.

"You too!" I yelled back before closing the door.

I got into my car and drove to school. As soon as I got to school, I sat in my car and wanted to cry. This didn't feel right. I wasn't walking in with Shaila or Nolan or Ethan. I was all alone. I gathered myself together and built up the courage to get out of my car. I walked into the school building and went straight to my locker.

"Last first day." I heard a voice say behind me. I turned around and saw Nolan, smiling at me.

"Last first day." I said, smiling back. "I feel like I haven't seen you in forever."

"I know, I'm sorry. I've been so busy with painting. I really need to keep a good portfolio for this art school I'm going to." He said, sounding very stressed out.

"Yeah, I heard. That's exciting Nolan! I'm happy for you." I said, patting his back.

We walked down the hall together and separated at our classes. I went the rest of the day, pouting and taking notes in classes. After the last bell rang, I practically ran out of the school building to get to my car.

Before I got into my car, I heard a voice call my name. "Eliza!" I looked behind me and saw Nolan trying to catch up with me. I stood and waited for him to come over to me.

"What's up Nolan?" I asked.

"Want to study together?" He asked, smiling.

"Yeah, I'm down! Hop in!" I said.

We got into my car and drove to my house.

—————

"So are you and Ethan still together?" Nolan asked, laying on my bed.

"Yeah, we are. But we haven't talked much. He's been so busy with college." I said, looking at the floor.

"I'm sorry to hear that Liz. I'm sure everything will work out between you two. You've already been through a lot together." He said.

That made me feel a little better.

—————-

After studying, I took Nolan home and then came back home and showered. After showering, I decided to call Ethan.

"Hello?" Ethan said, answering the phone. It sounded like he was at a party or something, I could hardly hear over the people talking in the background and the music.

"Umm, hey. Did I catch you at a bad time?" I asked.

"No, is everything okay?" He said.

"Yeah, I just wanted to talk to you. We haven't talked much and I miss you." I said.

It took a while to hear a response from Ethan; it sounded as if he was talking to someone else while on the phone with me.

"Ethan?" I said.

"Uh, yeah sorry. I'm going to have to let you go Liz, I gotta deal with something. I'll call you later."

"Okay bye , I love -" I couldn't even finish my sentence before he hung up.

I set my phone down on my bed and went downstairs to grab some water. While I was getting water, I heard my phone ringing upstairs. I thought it was Ethan calling me back. So I ran up the stairs, almost spilling my water. I got to my bedroom and answered my phone without even checking to see who it was.

"Hi!" I yelled as I answered the phone, assuming it was Ethan.

"Umm, hello ms . Wyatt. This is Klark Hamman from K&K Fashion" he said.

"Oh! Umm, hi." I responded.

"I hope I didn't catch you at a bad time, but I just had to talk to you about something."

"No! It's a perfect time. What is on your mind?"

"Well I was very impressed with your opinions for our fall collection, so I reached out to your step dad, Rob and he said you have a special liking for fashion. I hope it's alright, he gave me your number so I could give you a call." He said.

"Yeah..." I said, waiting to see what he has to say.

"Well, I was wondering if you were interested in working as an intern at K&K Fashion after you finish high school?" He asked.

I had to hold back my scream of excitement and play it cool.

"Yes, I would love to." I said, calmly.

"Great, I will email you with more details and I look forward to working with you." He said, before hanging up.

I was so happy in that moment. I couldn't wait for Ethan to call me back to tell him the news. I waiting in bed for two hours and finally accepted that Ethan wasn't going to call me back. I put my phone on the charger and went to bed.