chapter sixteen - New Years

Today was December 31; New Years Eve and I was getting ready for the party tonight. It's supposed to start at 11pm and this year, Rob is holding it at his house; which I am surprised he has since he's always at ours.

It was 10:45pm and it was time to leave. I was beyond nervous for tonight; Ethan gets back and I don't know what he's been up to. A part of me trusts that he wouldn't do that, but the other part is telling me that him and I aren't together anymore, so he can do whatever he wants.

I got in the car and drove to Rob's house. I called Shaila on the way and she told me her and Gray were already there and so was Ethan.

I parked in front of the house and there were already so many people and it was only 10:55pm. I got out of my car and walked up to the front door. I opened it up and saw a load of people, standing around and talking.

I made my way through the crowd and to the backyard. I saw Rob standing with my mom, so I walked up to them.

"Hey honey!" My mom said.

"Hey guys, great turn out, wow." I said.

"Isn't it!" My mom said.

"Hey Liz, do you have a second to talk?" Rob asked.

"Sure." I said.

He pulled aside.

"So tonight is the big night." He said.

I was so focused on Ethan that I almost forgot that tonight is when Rob is going to propose to my mom.

"Rob, she's definitely going to say yes! And I can't wait for you to be part of our family." I said.

I hugged him and it caught him by surprise. He finally gave in and hugged me back.

My mom walked over.

"You guys are getting along." She said, laughing.

"You deserve happiness, Mom." I said.

"You do too, Eliza and he's right over there." She said.

I looked over to where she was pointing and saw Ethan on the other side of the pool.

I walked over and "accidentally" bumped into him. He turned around and saw me. He laughed.

"Deja vu" He said.

I smiled and he smiled back. I couldn't get over his smile. It made my heart beat faster than ever and gave me a warm feeling inside.

"Ethan." I said.

"Liz." He said.

"Did you have fun in Vegas?" I asked.

"Not at all." He said, smiling.

"Good." I said, smiling back.

He leaned in to kiss me, but I pulled back.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"I need to know what we are. Where we stand. This is so confusing." I said.

"What do you want to be?" He asked.

"Ethan, I want to be with you more than anything." I said.

"And I want to be with you. I want you to be my girlfriend and I want to take you out and take you home and kiss you good night. When people ask who you are, I want to tell them that you're the most amazing girl that stole my heart from the moment I met you." He said.

I started to tear up. He wiped a tear off my face with his thumb.

"I love you, E." I said.

"I love you, Liz." He said. "So, can I kiss you now?" He asked, smiling.

"Please do." I said, smiling.

He leaned in and rested his lips on mine. Our lips moved in sync and I literally heard fireworks. Or, they were real fireworks. I looked up and saw a bunch of them in the sky.

"ROB!" I yelled out.

I grabbed Ethan's hand and ran over to where Rob and my mom were. As the fireworks were going, he looked over at my mom.

"You are such an amazing mother to Eliza and you make me so happy and all I want to do is make you and Eliza both so happy for as long as I live." Rob started saying. He got down on one knee and grabbed her hand. "Will you marry me?" Rob asked.

My mom put her hands over her mouth and gasped as she looked at the ring.

She didn't say anything for a minute.

"Just say yes!" I yelled out.

She looked at me and laughed. She looked back at Rob.

"Yes! Of course!" She said.

Everyone clapped as Rob put the ring on her finger.

I looked up and Ethan and kissed him.

"I hope to make you my wife someday." He said.

I froze up. Did he just say he wanted to marry me? I started to feel my body collapse and I fainted.