Chapter Six

I held my breath as the creature in front of me tilted his head, his eyes narrowed on me. I gulped and began backing up, only to end up backing into a wall. The thing followed me, his snake-like eyes boring into mine. He chuckled, and took a strand of my obsidian hair into his hand, only to sniff it and close his eyes.

"You look human." He said, his voice deep, and almost growling. He sniffed me again and I closed my eyes, my heart pounding into my chest, making it hard to breathe. "You smell human. And yet, I sense an ancient power residing around you. Why is that?"

I wanted to run from him. I wanted to hide in a place where he would never find me. But I couldn't move. It was like my legs had a mind of their own, refusing to cooperate with me and instead stayed planted firmly on the ground. What was he? How did he sense the sword's power? Didn't Father mask it? Why was the creature in front of me able to sense it? I wanted to open my eyes, but I didn't dare. I didn't want to see the thing in front of me, looking at me with those creepy snake-like eyes.

"Answer me, human!" He roared, making me cry out.

I took this as my chance to get away, so I kicked him in his balls, and ran as fast as I could out of the bathroom back towards Bud, who looked at me then jumped up in worry. "What's wrong? What happened? Why are you so pale?"

"We need to get out of here." I said breathlessly, my eyes wide, and my heart hammering in my chest.

Bud furrowed his eyebrows, and bore his chocolate orbs into mine. "Why? Sky, tell me what happened."

I stared at him, but didn't make any move to speak. He wouldn't believe me, anyway, so what was the point in telling him? I couldn't lie to him, mostly because I had made an oath to not lie to anyone, even if the question hurt me. I tucked my bottom lip into my mouth, chewing on the flesh, before I glanced at the bathroom. The creature walked out of it, looking very, very angry, and when his eyes bore into mine, I gulped and grabbed Bud by the wrist, yanking him out of the building. When we were by his car, I let go of him and rested my hands on my knees, struggling to breathe.

"Sky, what the hell was that?!" Bud demanded, placing his hands on his hips.

Still panting, I wiped my bangs from my sweaty face and glanced at him, almost cowering from the intensity of his gaze. I took in a breath, attempting to slow my heart-rate down, and leaned against the car, my gaze going back to the cafe to see if the creature would follow me out. I glanced at Bud, then lowered my gaze. "I...um...there was this...ah...creep in the bathroom..."

"What did he do? He didn't hurt you did he?" Bud asked, suddenly looking worried.

I rubbed my arms, and shivered. "No, not hurt...but he really creeped me out." He actually really did. I have never been so scared in my life. I didn't know what he was, who he was working for, or if any of my siblings came to him for help. So I was at a major disadvantage.

Bud stared at me for a couple of minutes, then gestured to the car. "Alright, as long as you weren't hurt. I'll go deal with it. You get in the car, and stay here."

My eyes went wide and I grabbed onto his upper arm, my breathing frantic. I couldn't let him go near that...that thing. He would be killed, and it would be my fault. I didn't want him to get hurt because of me. "It...it's fine, really. Um...let's just go to Social Services, yeah? That guy's not worth your time." Or your life. I wanted to say.

Bud regarded me with those twin chocolate orbs, his eyes briefly going back to the cafe before he pursed his lips and looked back at me. He sighed, and ran his hand through his hair. "Alright, fine. But if he messes with you again, I won't hesitate to pull him into custody."