Chapter Twenty-Two

The feeling of dread did not leave me, even after we all ate and began walking to the waterfront. I felt like someone was watching us, but every time I turned around, no one was there. It made me paranoid, and my paranoia was noticed by Anabell, who had been talking with Lucus. She walked over to me, studying the way I kept looking behind us with curious green eyes, before she broke the silence with her sweet voice.

"What's wrong?" She asked, making me glance back at her after looking behind us for the hundredth time.

I sighed, nibbling at my bottom lip and looked at the concrete as we walked, my lips tilted down in a frown as I tried shaking off the bad feeling. I was debating on whether or not I should tell her...since I didn't want to worry her. But, then again, I felt bad for keeping this bad feeling a secret. I glanced up at her, seeing that she was staring intently at me with a raised eyebrow, her long brown hair flowing behind her as a gust of wind caught onto the silky strands. I blinked as my bangs flew into my eyes, and scowled as I grabbed at the strands to tuck behind my ear. "I'm pretty sure it's my imagination." I muttered, shivering as I glanced back behind me.

Anabell did the same, her brows furrowing together before she looked back at me. "What's your imagination? Do you think someone is following us, or something?" She asked, making me look at her surprised.

How did she deduce that? Was she really that intelligent? Or was I really that readable? I glanced up at the sky, watching the clouds swirl around, then looked back down to see Lucus laugh at something Charlie said. I looked back at Anabell. "I...I feel like something's off. But...I'm...I'm sure it's just my imagination."

Anabell frowned, glancing behind us before she looked back at me. "Some people say that your gut feelings are never wrong." She pointed out.

I frowned and shrugged, rubbing the tops of my arms with my hands. "Yea, but I'm pretty sure it's nothing." I hope, I thought bitterly, pursing my lips.

"Hey, love birds! Stop your flirting and come here!"

Lucus' voice snapped me out of my thoughts and I blushed, sending a glare at the brunet as he jumped onto a bench and wiggled his butt. I looked at Anabell and saw that she was blushing too, making me briefly forget about the bad feeling to feel a warmth spread in my chest. She looked up at me and I smiled, watching as she grinned at me before she ran at Lucus and tried pushing him off of the bench. He squealed, but managed to keep his balance, placing his hands on his hips to give Anabell a victorious smirk.

"Ha! I win!" He exclaimed, making my lips twitch.

I glanced around to see where we were at, seeing Charlie sit down at one of the benches by a particularly large tree, with twisting branches that were bare, and cold. I trailed my eyes over to Lucus and Anabell, who were chasing each other around the grassy area, laughing and giggling. I felt a faint pang in my chest when I saw how happy Anabell was with him, and averted my gaze to stare at Kaya, who was quiet and frowning at them. She turned towards me, smirking before she walked over to me. I tensed, pursing my lips when she stopped in front of me.

"You look like a girl." She deadpanned, tilting her head at me.

I frowned, glancing behind her at Lucus and Anabell, then back at her. "So?"

"I don't know what the hell he sees in you."

I furrowed my eyebrows, my lips tilted in a delicate frown, and tilted my head, giving Kaya a curious glance. "What do you mean? What who sees in me?" I asked.

Instead of answering me, she walked away and began heading towards Lucus, leaving me there alone and confused. I bit my bottom lip, nibbling at the delicate pink flesh, and shook my head, walking over to where the others were.