Chapter Thirty-Two

Sky’s POV)

Now, finding out Laura had been killed was like a blow to my chest. I just couldn’t contain my guilt and had ended up crying for about an hour in Bud’s arms, soaking his shirt with my tears. I just couldn’t believe it. Another person had been killed because of me. Another innocent person had been stipped of their life because of my idiocy. I couldn’t take any more of this. I couldn’t take any more heartbreak over the people who had lost their lives. Lost them because of me. Because I failed to be more observant.

I stayed in the hospital for about a week before they found me another home, this one made up of a single father with two daughters, the oldest one being only fourteen. The doctors made sure that my leg had healed properly before they gave me permission to leave the hospital. The bruises on my throat and cheek had healed, leaving my skin flawless, like nothing had ever happened. Not that I would forget that dreadful day. I don’t think even therapy would rid me of those memories. I don’t think anything could.

After I was omitted from the hospital, Bud gave me a ride back to DSS. The building...looked foreboding, more so than usual. Though, I think I only saw it that way because of everything that happened. I stepped out of the car, but unlike last time, I wasn’t excited to see who I would be living with from now on. This time, dread pooled in my stomach, making me feel sick as we climbed up the stairs to the double doors. The building seemed colder than usual inside, almost like they had the air conditioning on full blast, despite it being February. I shivered, wrapping my arms around myself as Bud walked up to the window thing, where a young man sat, glasses sitting in front of his sapphire eyes.

I paid no mind to either of them and sat down on one of the empty seats, the waiting room void of people. There were no little girls giggling and running around...there was no mother chiding her children as they waved at me. It was silent. It was cold. The only noise came from the quiet talking coming from the young man behind the window and Bud, as they talked about my arrangements. I stared outside the large windows in silence, watching a raven flutter by and fly off.

It was hard to believe that this was my life. Switching from home to home...having innocents killed because I was such an idiot. What could I do to stop this? I could always be more observant, but that could only go so far. There were beings of great power after me. My siblings weren’t the only ones who were after Father’s sword. I may not even be able to tell whether or not someone is human and harmless, or something else and dangerous. Plus, since I was now human, it was harder to tell.

I looked up just as Bud was walking over to me with a tall man wearing a black suit, his black hair impeccably in place, his bright green eyes hidden behind a pair of square wire glasses. He smiled at me and held out his hand, his skin darker, a more golden shade than mine. “Hello Skylar, it is good to meet you. I give you my condolences regarding the Jones’. They really were good people and it’s a shame that they were killed. And I’m sorry you had to witness such a thing at your age.”

I only nodded silently, averting my eyes to the floor. I heard the man sigh and felt him sit next to me, shuffling a couple of papers on his knees, his green eyes on my form. “My name is Mr. Olphone, but you can call me Alark. Mr. Snow here called me and asked me to find a suitable home for you, since you’re still not eighteen yet. I have found a home for you, and we did an extensive background check on the father of the family to ensure your absolute safety.”

I risked a glance at him to see him staring at me with sincerity. “Thank you.” I muttered, twirling my fingers together.

Alark nodded and shifted so he was facing me better. He took off his glasses and wiped them on his shirt before he put them back on. “There is also another thing I wish to talk to you about. In regards to what happened to you, I wish to put you in therapy to be evaluated. Normally when someone as young as yourself witnesses something as catastrophic as what you have witnessed, they tend to either lash out or close in on themselves. Now, I don't see you to be the violent type, however there can be some serious health issues if you keep this bottled up. You need to talk to a therapist about what you had witnessed, and hopefully that can help you further in life.”

I bit my bottom lip, my eyes trailing back to the floor. Should I go into therapy? I don't want anyone else getting hurt because of me, though. What if my therapist is caught in the crossfire? What if they're killed? It would be my fault, like Allen’s death...and Laura’s. Both of them died because of me. Do I really want to risk another person's life? Besides, I doubt they would believe me anyway. Angels and demons? Yea sure that's totally believable to a human. Not. Though...I could talk about my insecurities. I heard that therapists have helped people with that kind of problem before. Maybe if I stop hating myself, I can have a clearer mind and can find my enemies faster. And that could potentially save the lives of those around me. I wouldn't have to worry about anyone dying because my inability to be more observant of my surroundings.

I looked back at Alark seeing him staring at me with those intense green eyes. “Will...Will it help me? If I go to therapy?” I asked quietly, a frown pulling at my lips.

Alark nodded, a smile forming on his face. “Indeed it will, Skylar. And it will be beneficial to you, I promise you that.”

I stared at him for a couple of minutes, then glanced up at Bud who smiled reassuringly at me. I took in a deep breath and looked at Alark, nodding a couple of seconds later. “Ok. Alright. I'll do it.”

Alark smiled widely and clicked his pen, writing something down on the papers he held in his hands. “I'm glad to hear that. Now, I need to call your therapist and get arrangements on your appointments. It will probably take a week at the most, however I assure you that this is nothing compared to the help you will end up receiving.” He stood up and faced Bud who looked at him with questioning chocolate eyes. “You can leave if you wish. I have everything settled here.”

Bud blinked and shook his head, casting me a glance. “Actually, I'd like to meet his foster family. I want to make sure that he's going into a good home.”

“I assure you, Henry is a good man-”

“-that's what you said about the Jones’. Oh they're good people, they are loved by many. And look at what happened. Allen is dead and Katelynn and Lucus is still missing.” Bud argued, his brown eyes flashing. “So excuse me for wanting to make sure that he doesn't go through that again.”

Alark glared at him for a couple of seconds, then sighed and adjusted his glasses. “Alright, fine. If you want to meet his new family, they should be arriving any second now.”

Bud merely raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms over his chest, glancing at me for a brief moment before he pursed his lips and look back at Alark. He said nothing, but even I could figure out that he was anxious. He didn’t want me to experience another act of violence. He didn’t want me to see the horrors that humans were capable of. I have a sneaking suspicion that he thought I was innocent to the world of violence, but, living in a world where my own brothers and sisters were basically trying to murder our own father, it was nothing new to me. Heck...I watched Kendrik and Corana be killed. And...I didn’t do anything to even help them. I was a worthless warrior, and a good-for-nothing brother who did nothing to protect his own siblings from being killed. Sure, they were evil and were trying to kill me...but...they were still my brother and sister. I may not have known them well, but we did use to speak on occasion, hence why I knew their occupations. My time here was getting difficult. I had to chose between my family and my duty. However...how could I chose? I loved my family, loved them with the core of my being. Sure, they could be a little hard-headed at times, and would blindly follow a murderer, but we were still of blood. I couldn’t hate them for believing in something different than me. But...I was also loyal to my duty as an Archangel to protect a weapon of mass destruction, and keep it away from our enemies...enemies that used to be family. I was torn between two choices and with each day that passed, it was getting harder and harder to chose between the two. I just hope that whenever I do chose...that my choice was the right one. I didn’t want the world to spiral into chaos because I was an idiot...nor did I want to murder my own family. So what do I chose? Family? Or Loyalty to uphold an important mission?