Chapter Twelve

(Kendrik's POV)

Blood. I loved the feeling of the crimson liquid running between my fingers as I dropped a corps to the ground. I loved the coppery scent of it wafting through the air, mingled in with death, and decay.

I stepped over the arrange of bodies, wiping my hands onto my leather pants as my eyes searched for the escapee. He couldn't get very far. Humans can run all they want, I will always find them. I took a moment to sniff at the air, the smell of fear potent...and to my left. I opened my eyes and stalked over to where the last guy was hiding, ripping him from his hiding spot by his hair and throwing him to the concrete in front of me.

He trembled, brown eyes wide, and spiky black hair wild. He was so scared, that he pissed himself. It was fucking hilarious, to be honest, that one person could be so scared that they failed to hold their bladder. I kicked him and he whimpered, blood leaking out of his broken nose and to the concrete below him.

I stared at him blankly, and tilted my head, making my medium-length black hair spill over my shoulders. "So, have you learned your lesson yet?"

The man in front of me nodded quickly, his hands covering his nose, trying to catch all the blood. His attempts were futile though, since the blood dripped through his fingers and down his arms, soaking his coat.

I smirked and knelt down in front of him, making him try and scurry away from me. I grabbed at his hair and forced him to face me. Tears streamed down his cheeks, mixing with blood, and other filth. I tightened my grip on his hair, making him cry out in pain. "Tell me," I tilted my head and looked into his eyes, "did you think it wise to steal from me?"

The man swallowed thickly, his eyes going wide as he trembled under the intensity of my gaze. "W...We didn't know! We...We wuz jus' tryin' to get some cash, y' know?"

I glared at him, and another round of tears began falling out of his eyes. Pathetic. "If you wanted money, then get a fucking job."

"I...I will! M...Mr. Sir!"

I pretended to consider it, pursing my lips and looking up at the night sky. The man started to relax, but when I looked at him, he tensed once more. "Actually, no. You won't get a job. You want to know why?" He opened his mouth to speak, and I snapped his neck. He went limp against me and I dropped his body to the ground, right next to his comrades. "Because you'll be dead." I muttered, snatching money of of his pocket, putting it into my coat. I rubbed my hands against my sides, searching for my cigarettes. When I found them, I took one out and placed it between my lips, digging into my jean pocket to grab my lighter. When I had it in my hand, I lit the cigarette and took in a deep breath, smoke filling my lungs and instantly calming my nerves. Ah, that was so much better.

"You went a little far, didn't you?"

I rolled my eyes and turned to face a tall blonde woman, her eyes a cold blue as she looked down in disgust at the bodies by her feet. Her long hair was pulled up into a tight braid, a faint widow's peak at the top of her forehead. She wore a dull silver pantsuit, her heels clicking, and clacking as she walked over to me, her nose scrunching up as she walked over a body.

When she was right next to me I shrugged, taking another drag of my cigarette and leaning against the ally wall. "So what? They stole from me. You of all people should know how much I hate thieves."

She rolled her eyes at that, and crossed her arms over her chest, making her breasts bunch up. I looked down, enjoying the view with a smirk. "Did you really have to kill them, though? I mean, what if the humans start suspecting our existence? We wouldn't want that, now would we?"

"What are you doing here anyway, Pyra? Don't you have something to do? Like, I don't know, screwing men for information?"

Pyra scoffed at me, and got close up to my face, the faint scent of vanilla wafting through the air. She plucked the cigarette out of my mouth, making me scowl and roll my eyes. "Did you find him?" She countered, backing up from me to lean against the wall across from me.