Chapter Thirteen

“I don’t see why we can’t let him go home. He’s a surprisingly fast healer. Only a few cuts left.”
I let my nurse look over my stomach, her fingers gentle as she tried not to hurt me. Leviathan and Anabell stood off to the side, watching me with intense gazes. Anabell looked so tiny beside Leviathan. The tall blonde was six foot seven, a tower compared to Anabell’s five foot six height. It was honestly kind of adorable. And I felt so happy that, while they certainly didn’t get along, I had two people who cared about me. Granted, Anabell knew nothing of the war going on, but Leviathan did. And he was helping me. I finally had an ally. I could still hardly believe it.
I winced when the nurse pressed one of my cuts a little too hard, the woman apologizing to me as she rewrapped my mostly healed wounds.
“Now, even though we’re discharging him, I would suggest not to allow him any strenuous work. In fact, I would say let him rest for a couple more days, and make sure to change his bandages out every five hours. I’ll provide you with his pain prescriptions, in case he experiences any pain.” She glanced at Leviathan. “Are you the father?”
Leviathan snorted, looking a little disgruntled. “I don’t look that old...do I?” He said to himself before he looked at the nurse and shook his head. “No, I’m his older brother.”
“Where are his parents?”
“Not here.”
“Alright, I guess you’ll have to do. Follow me while I get his prescription filled out.”
Leviathan nodded as he spared me a glance, following the short woman out of the room. Immediately, Anabell spoke, making me roll my eyes.
“I don’t like him. Something about him is fishy.”
I sighed, slowly sitting up. “Anabell, he’s my brother. He’s my family.”
Anabell frowned and sat down next to me, making my heart race as she placed her head onto my shoulder. “I know. I guess I’m still a little upset that you never told me about him. I thought we were friends?”
Friends, I thought disheartenedly, hating that I had been put in the friend zone. I wished that I could be more with her, but if she didn’t want me, she didn’t want me. It was depressing to think about it, so I tore myself out of my thoughts and went back to the real world. “I’m sorry I never told you. I didn’t think it was important, especially with what happened with…” I trailed off, tears forming in my eyes as I remembered Allen. I shook my head and looked at Anabell. “I didn’t even think he was here, Anabell. I thought he was still...home.”
“And where is this “home”?” Anabell asked with a frown. She sighed, “Nevermind. You’re so secretive, Sky. I just...I thought that since we were friends, we wouldn’t hide anything from the other person.”
I could feel myself tearing up and Anabell’s eyes got wide as she quickly hugged me, her arms wrapping around my form tightly. “I don’t like to think about it. Especially with what’s going on, now.” And that was true. I hated knowing that my brothers and sisters were killing each other in the name of Adam, who acted more like a child than an adult anyway. I didn’t want to think about all the lives that were being lost with each day I walked among the humans. It was too painful and I often tried to forget it, even if for a moment.
“I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to bring up anything painful. Gosh, I’m such a nosy bitch, I’m so sorry.”
I shook my head, ready to tell her that she was so much more than she pegged herself out to be. However, before I got the chance, Leviathan came back into the room, tucking his hands into his pockets before he pulled out a pill container, waving it around. “I got your drugs. We can go now.”
I stifled a laugh as Anabell rolled her eyes at the taller blonde, the man merely shrugging as he helped me stand up. I held onto him, his strong arms around my form as he helped me walk, since some of my wounds were still quite sore and painful. He led us outside and when he walked up to a black Toyota, I raised my eyebrow and glanced at him in question. “Where the heck did you get a car?” I asked, bewildered as he opened the passenger door. And where did he even get a licence to drive said car?
Leviathan paused, staring at me with an innocent look on his face. “I stole it from this old lady, who stepped on my toe.” I stared at him with only a raised eyebrow, making him shrug as he helped me into the car. “I rented it. Probably owe the company a pretty penny for it since the payment was due last week.”
“And the licence to drive the car?”
“Let’s just be glad I haven’t been pulled over yet.”
Levi-
Leviathan smirked, making me shut my mouth, a grin on my face. I sat down and he gently closed the door behind me, waiting till Anabell got into the back before he climbed into the drivers side and started the car, glancing up at the rearview mirror. “So...I may know a lot of things...but your address isn’t one of them. Care to tell me where to go?”
Anabell scoffed, but began giving him directions to her house, the older blonde surprisingly listening to her without giving her any witty banter. When we got on her street, she glanced at me with sudden realization. “Oh, I forgot to tell you how Dad is! He’s fine, the doctors said it was a miracle that he’s still alive...oh right, you know that part already. Um, he’s still asleep, and he’s recovering really fast.”
I felt my lips pull into a smile, the thought that Bud was alright giving me relief. “I’m so glad that he’s ok. I don’t know what I would have done if he went into a coma...or worse.” Anabell nodded in agreement, and I licked my dry lips, shifting slightly in my seat. “So, did the police get any leads on who did this to him?” Or was it foul play, as I suspected, I wondered, my eyes locked on Anabell.
The brunette shrugged, pausing to point at her house before those emerald eyes shifted back to me. “No. Nothing yet. I hope they catch the bastard though, and give him what he deserves.”
Leviathan pulled into the driveway, putting the car in park as he regarded the house with curious turquoise orbs. “So this is where you live, huh? Gotta admit, it’s a pretty decent house. Nice colors.” He glanced at me, making me shrug as I unbuckled my seatbelt. His lips twitched and he shut the car off, pulling the keys out of the ignition before he stepped out of the car, making Anabell and I mimic his actions. He stuffed the keys into his back pocket and walked over to help me, only for Anabell to lightly push him back, her hand against his chest.
“Let me help him.”
Leviathan glanced at me and I nodded, making him relax and nod before he made his way up the porch steps, the wood creaking under his weight. Not that he weighed that much, thanks to our hollow bones, but it was still funny to watch Leviathan glance down at the step he was on with narrowed eyes, as if the thing would collapse any moment. When he was sure that the wood would hold, he continued up the stairs, stopping at the door and waiting for Anabell to open it. When she did, we all walked inside, Anabell’s arms around me, making my heart race nervously in my chest from being so close to her. Leviathan had to duck his head in order to walk into the house, thanks to his gargantuan height, which made Anabell and I chuckle.
Anabell helped me up to my room, making me sigh in relief as I was helped into my bed, Leviathan glancing around the small room with interest. Once I was tucked in, Anabell sighed and clasped her hands together. “Do you want anything? Drink? Something to eat?”
I nodded, giving her a small smile. “I would like something to drink, please. I feel completely parched.”
Anabell smiled at me and nodded, glancing at Leviathan. “What about you?”
Leviathan looked at her in surprise, clearing his throat awkwardly as he shrugged. “Water is fine, thank you.”
Anabell left and Leviathan sat at the edge of my bed, staring at me. “Nice place you got here. I’m glad you were able to find such a comfortable home. Lord knows that I was worried sick about you.”
I sighed. “I wasn’t always here. I had two other homes before this, but neither worked out. It was all my fault...if only I hadn’t lived with them...their families would have never been torn apart.”
Leviathan shook his head and shifted closer to me, brushing my bangs out of my eyes. “Nothing is your fault. If anyone is to blame for this shit, it’s Adam. If that jackass didn’t start throwing a tantrum, none of this would have happened.”
“I’m torn, though. I hate that this happened, because I don’t like my family fighting each other like this...but on the other hand, if this never happened...I would have never met Anabell. Or Sarah, or Charlie, or my other friends.” I looked at my brother tearfully, making those turquoise eyes of his soften exponentially. “At the same time, because of this war, Allen died, Lucus and Katelynn...only Father knows what happened to them. I tore Henry’s family apart and made his children have to go through foster care...I...I don’t know what to do, Levi.”
“You’re not the only one wishing this war never happened,” the older blonde muttered, staring down at his hands with a frown. He looked at me. “Despite all the shit you’ve gone through...I am so damn proud of you, Sky. Ignoring what happened to...your previous caretakers, you managed to make friends and make something of yourself.”
“But at what cost?” I asked him, making him frown and look away.
He was about to say something when Anabell walked in, making her glance between us curiously, before she shrugged and handed me a cup of apple juice. Leviathan snorted and thanked Anabell when she handed him his glass of water.
“Still addicted to apples, I see?”
I smiled, the tension eased, if only a little. “You know it.”
Leviathan smiled back, and I knew that I could finally relax. Bad things may have happened to Allen, and to Henry...even Bud, but maybe that will stop with Leviathan being here. And to know that he was proud of me? It made me the happiest angel in Heaven. Or...well, you get the point. Maybe I could start breathing easier with him around. And for the first time in a while, a weight was lifted off of my shoulders.