Chapter Twenty-One

“I don’t get it. Where the hell is that guy?”
I glanced over at Leviathan, who was currently looking out of the window, his arms crossed over his chest as he eyed the outside world. His stance was stiff, his muscles tense. He was back to the closed off state he been in when we were still in Heaven, just before the war started. It was like something I had said last night triggered such a reaction from him, and I wanted to know why. Was it because I saw his scars? Scars that came from something unknown? Why would he close off like this if he didn’t have something to hide?
I sighed, tearing my gaze away from my brother, my eyes shifting over to Anabell, who was currently painting her nails with the nailpolish she bought when she got our clothes. Her hair was pulled over her shoulders, a chocolate waterfall against a pale backdrop. Her phone sat to her side, and she was waiting patiently for Donna to return her text. Somehow, someway, Anabell had convinced Leviathan to let her text Donna everything. She told Donna about us, about everything that had happened in the past two days. Now we awaited for her to answer back.
“Ugh. She’s taking forever,” Anabell whined, leaning back against the headboard of the bed.
“Maybe she’s busy,” I shrugged, crossing my legs so I was sitting criss-cross.
Anabell looked at me, her lips in a thin line. “Maybe. But I should come first, since, you know, best friend and all.” She glanced down at her nails, then glanced at me before pulling those perfect lips into a pout. “Hey Sky? Can I pretty please paint your nails?”
I blushed, subconsciously pulling my hands behind my back as I eyed the brunette, embarrassed. “What? Why? Isn’t nail polish only for girls?”
Anabell shrugged and scooted closer to me, picking up the nail polish bottle and examining it. “I don’t see where it says “only for girls”. Which means boys can wear it too. Come on, please? I’m bored to death over here.”
I nibbled at my bottom lip, slowly caving into her puppy-eyed look. I finally sighed, removing my hands from behind my back, watching as Anabell’s emerald eyes lit up with excitement. She then uncapped the blue polish and began painting my nails, exclaiming how “pretty the color blue looked on me”. Leviathan ended up looking away from the window in order to stare at Anabell and I in amusement, a small smirk on his lips as Anabell painted my nails.
After a bit, the tall blonde sighed, making Anabell and I glance at him curiously. “It’s about what...noon? Why don’t you both go get us something to eat? I’ll keep an eye out for Shane.”
I glanced at Anabell, who shrugged and nodded, standing up and tucking her phone into her back pocket. I shrugged as well, making sure my nails were dry before I followed Anabell outside, the sun blaring it’s heat onto our skin. We had been lucky enough to land, not only next to a motel, but next to a McDonald’s as well. A small chime sounded when we walked through the glass door, the restaurant vacant except for a few people, all in which were eating their meals silently. One person stood in the line, staring up at the menu. He ordered what he wanted and waited until his meal was given to him. When Anabell and I walked up to the counter, she let the cashier know that we were taking a to-go, and ordered some of the hotcakes, enough for all of us to eat. She paid with the card Leviathan gave her, and we made our way back to our motel room, hearing a small ding when we walked inside.
Anabell blinked and took her phone out of her pocket, her eyes going wide as she frantically texted whoever had messaged her. “Donna finally answered,” she explained, her fingers swiping across the screen with a speed I was envious of, “She wants someone to go get her.”
I frowned, setting the food onto the table. “I don’t think that’s a good idea. If we bring her here, then she’ll be in danger. I already have you to worry about, I don’t need to worry about Donna too.”
Anabell waved me off and sat on one of the beds, crossing one of her long legs over the other. “She’ll be ok. Leviathan is super old, isn’t he? Which means he’s powerful. And if he’s powerful, he can protect Donna.”
“Speaking of Leviathan, where is he?” I asked, glancing around the room, the older blonde nowhere in sight.
Anabell frowned and looked around, pointing to the bathroom. “I think he’s in there. Light’s on. Door’ shut.”
Just as she said that, the door opened and a recently showered Leviathan walked out, pausing when he saw the both of us staring at him. “Uh, did I miss something?” He walked over to the table, glancing into the McDonald’s bag and pulling out one of the hotcakes.
“No. We were just worried for a moment.” I replied, taking a seat next to him.
Anabell walked over to the table and sat down, pulling out her own meal before she stared at Leviathan, giving the blonde her signature puppy-eye look.
Leviathan furrowed his brow, glancing at me with a fork in his mouth. I shrugged, making him glance back at Anabell. He took the fork out of his mouth and stabbed another piece of hotcake, lathering it in syrup. “What’s with the look?”
Anabell batted her eyes, pursing her lips. “Donna wants someone to go get her. And, since you’re the only one who can carry her….can you please go get her please?”
Immediately Leviathan frowned, setting his fork down as he shook his head. “Absolutely not.”
“Oh come on, I need a girl to hang out with! She’s already promised to keep you both a secret!”
“I can’t risk it. We already have one too many humans involved with this war-”
“Come on, please?”
“-and adding another human will only result in-”
“Pleaaaaaassseee?”
“-you know what? Fine! Fine.” Leviathan sighed and pushed his food away, standing up and crossing his arms over his chest. “If it’ll make you stop begging me, then fine. I’ll get her. Gah, women can be so annoying sometimes.”
“Not all women,” I interjected, stuffing another piece of hotcake in my mouth.
Leviathan glanced at me, pointing a finger over at Anabell. “You really like her? I applaud you, little bro, that you can deal with such a person.”
I smiled, but said nothing, making Leviathan sigh deeply before he walked off to the bathroom to change forms, muttering under his breath.
“Hehe. This leaves us some time alone.” Anabell said, making me glance at her in time to see her sly smirk.
I immediately blushed, my heart speeding up in my chest. “Wait, you don’t mean that, do you?”
Anabell blushed as well, shaking her head. “What? No! I ain’t ready for that yet. I was just talking about kissing, but geez! You got a dirty mind, don’t you?” She began giggling, making me blush even darker at my assumption.
I couldn’t even think of anything to say, so instead, I hid my burning face in the pillow, Anabell’s laughter making me blush even harder. I briefly heard the bathroom door open, and could faintly feel Leviathan’s celestial force, making it all the more awkward.
“Uh...should I even ask?” Leviathan asked, his voice a deep rumble.
“Nah,” Anabell replied, her giggles slowly dissipating, “it’s between me and Sky.”
Leviathan was silent for a moment, and when I peeked out of the pillow, he was glancing at me curiously with a raised eyebrow. He then shook his head, and headed towards the door, his curious face turning serious. “Sky, I need you to keep watch while I’m gone. It may be noon and too late to access the portal, but that doesn’t mean Shane won’t show up to make sure the portal isn’t trapped. So, make sure you keep an eye out, ok?”
I nodded, and with that, he left to go get Donna.