Chapter One

Six Months Later

“I’m going to prom!”

I blinked and looked up from my homework, watching as Anabell ran into the house with a grin on her face. She rushed over to me and sat down next to me, her green eyes wide with excitement. I placed my homework aside and pulled my knee up to my chest, casting a curious glance at the brunette. “What do you mean you’re going to prom? We’re only in tenth grade…we don’t start going to prom till eleventh.” I pointed out, my heart feeling heavy. I had a feeling that someone from a higher grade had asked her and I hated the heavy feeling in my heart at the thought.

It’s been six months, since I’ve lived here. That’s six months living with Anabell and developing feelings for her. I know she didn’t feel the same. I mean, look at me. There wasn’t much to like. And every time I saw her with another guy…I felt…jealous. Something I hadn’t really felt before. I hated the feeling. I mean, Anabell was free to date whomever she wanted, right? Then…why did I feel upset that she was asked to prom? I mean…I’m assuming she was asked to prom. She couldn’t go otherwise. That meant that she actually liked the guy, if she accepted. I wonder who he was. He was lucky.

“Hey, are you listening to me?”

I blinked and reeled back as Anabell snapped her fingers in my face. I smiled sheepishly and rubbed the back of my neck, my long black hair curled up into a bun, the sword/cuff clipping it into place. “Sorry, what were you saying?”

Anabell rolled her eyes playfully and placed her elbow on the back of the couch, resting her chin on her softly closed fist. “I said that Cody from eleventh asked to go to prom with me. He’s like…super-hot you know? You remember him, right? That super tall dude with the cool blonde and blue hair? Yea, he’s the one who asked me.”

I lowered my gaze, chewing the inside of my cheek. Of course I knew who she was talking about. He was the most popular guy at school, a total player. I didn’t want her to go with him. But…she seemed so happy. I didn’t want to ruin that for her.

Instead of telling her what was on my mind, I gave her a faux smile. “I’m happy for you. You’ll tell me how it goes, right?” I asked, biting my bottom lip.

She nodded, making her wavy hair fall into her face. My hand itched to move brush it aside, yet I stayed still, afraid to act upon my feelings. She’d probably think I was weird or something. I was in a whole different league than the popular Cody. Plus, I looked more like a girl than some of the students at my school. She wouldn’t ever want someone like me.

I glanced at my abandoned homework, debating whether or not to end the conversation here and get back to it. However, Anabell spoke before I could even move.

“We need to get a dress for me,” she said, her eyes fixed on my form. “Maybe something like a mermaid dress, or something. I don’t want a short dress. Or one of those weird bubble-shaped ones.” She tilted her head to the side. “What do you think? What kind of dress should I get?”

I bit my bottom lip and shrugged, a blush forming on my cheeks. “I think you’d look beautiful in anything, Anabell.” To keep my face from heating up any more, I grabbed my homework and tried to concentrate on the mathematical questions I haven’t finished. I didn’t even notice the small, faint blush that formed on Anabell’s face.

“You really think so? I mean, I think I look fat.”

I frowned, glancing up at her. “You’re not fat. I don’t see why you would think so.”

She rolled her eyes and gestured to her rather flat stomach. “Look at me. I look like a balloon.”

“Why do so many girls think they’re fat when they’re not?” I muttered, my eyebrows furrowing together. “I think everyone is beautiful, regardless of size or looks.” And that was true. All life was beautiful, even if they didn’t think so. That may have been my “Angel of Life” side talking. Since I was basically the embodiment of Life, I saw everything as beautiful. Nothing was ugly to me…well, except snakes. Those things were terrifying. I mentally shook my head at the thought and glanced back up at Anabell. “You’re beautiful the way you are. End of story.”

I then gasped when Anabell launched herself at me, hugging me against her small body. A large blush adorned my cheeks as the scent of flowers invaded my senses. “You’re so sweet!” She squealed, hugging me tightly. “You know what? Screw Donna, you’re now my best friend.”

I should have been happy at that. I mean, being her best friend? It was something I never was able to have before. In Heaven, I didn’t have many friends, let alone someone I could call a best friend. Nevertheless, my heart felt strangely…heavy that she only thought of me as a friend. Part of me wished that I could be a little…well…more, than that. I knew that would never happen, though. I’d probably be friend-zoned for my whole life.

Despite the sad feeling in my heart, I smiled and wrapped my arms around Anabell’s form, burying my face into her wavy brown hair. “Donna might be jealous,” I joked.

Anabell laughed and playfully hit me in the arm, backing away from me to sit back into the couch. “You want to help me pick out a dress for prom?”

I sighed and shrugged, nodding. “Sure. Though, I’ll let you know now, I’m not that great at fashion.”

“What’s this about fashion?”

I blinked and looked up at the same time as Anabell as Bud walked into the room, looking exhausted. He was wearing his police uniform and there were noticeable circles under his cocoa colored eyes.

Anabell turned her body so she could face him better, resting her chin onto her hands. “I got asked to prom, Dad!”
Bud’s eyes narrowed slightly, his lips pursing. “Oh? And who asked you?”
Anabell smiled, biting her lip. “His name is Cody. He’s pretty popular at school.”

“Is that so?” Bud asked, looking less than pleased.

Anabell nodded, pointing her head at me. “Sky said that he’d help me find a dress.”

Bud’s gaze shifted over to me, making me subconsciously straighten up and meet his eyes. “That’s nice of him.” He then paused, placing a hand on his hip before continuing. “Speaking of prom, Sky, Mr. Robbins asked me to ask you if you could help him out with a couple of things for prom. It’ll get you a free ticket in, if you can give him some of your time.”

I blinked, my gaze shifting from Bud to Anabell, then back to Bud. If I went…maybe I could keep an eye on this Cody guy so he wouldn’t hurt Anabell. This could actually work out. I make sure Anabell is having fun and I could make sure she was safe as well. It was a win, win. I scratched the back of my neck, nodding quietly. “I’d be happy to help.”

Bud smiled and patted me on top of my head, making me blush. “That’s good. See Anabell, this is how you should act from time to time.”

“Dad!”

“I’m kidding.” Bud chuckled, poking Anabell’s nose. “You’re better than most teenagers nowadays.”

Anabell pursed her lips and crossed her arms, looking rather adorable, if I do say so myself. “I don’t know whether that’s a compliment or an insult.”

I couldn’t help it and ended up chuckling, making Anabell glare playfully at me. I blushed at her attention and tried to hide my face behind my homework.

“And what is so funny, you little turd?” Anabell asked, poking me in the side and making me squeal as I fell to the floor. Anabell blinked at me and busted out laughing, hugging her sides tightly as she laughed. “You’re ticklish?! How come I didn’t know this until now?”

“Because…I didn’t tell you?” I offered, blushing darkly from my position on the floor.

Anabell stared at me, her emerald gaze burning into my own. She then smiled and leaned back against the couch. “You are so adorable.”

I blushed darkly, hearing Bud chuckle from behind Anabell. “You two are something else, you know that?” He asked. He then sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “You guys want some Chinese? I’m too tired to cook right now.”

Anabell and I both nodded at the suggestion and Bud took out his phone, disappearing into the other room to order our food. I glanced at Anabell, watching as she picked up the TV remote and turned on the TV, changing it to some reality show. I bit my bottom lip, picking myself up off of the floor, and sat back down on the couch, my eyes trailing down to my homework. So I get to go to prom, huh? I wonder how that would go. Especially if Anabell is going to be there with her…”date”.

A/N: First chapter of Part Two is finally up! I debated whether or not to make it a one part or two part, and I finally settled on the two part instead. So! Let me know what you think!