Chapter Twenty-Eight

(Sky's POV)

The past two days had been great. I had learned more about Allen than I ever thought I would, and I had a load of fun at school with my friends. However, when I woke up this morning...something felt off. I didn't know what it was, but it seemed like the house was quiet. Too quiet. It also felt strangely empty and for a second I felt a small tingle of fear wash up my spine. When I opened my eyes, the room was emitted in a warm glow. Weird. Usually when Lucus and I woke up it would still be dark. I blinked, sitting up and bringing a hand up to rub the sleep out of my eyes. I ran a hand down my face and glanced over to the clock that sat on the bookcase. My eyes widened when I caught sight of the time and I jumped up, nearly toppling over the coffee table that sat in front of the couch.

It was twelve-thirty! Why didn't Lucus wake me up? We were going to be late for school!

I turned but then paused when I was faced with an empty bed. What the...? Where was Lucus? Did he leave without me? Why would he do that? I frowned, but then shook my head and rushed over to my dresser, pulling out a long sleeve black t-shirt and a matching pair of skinny jeans with light grey stitching. I yanked my pajamas off and proceeded to put on my change of clothes. I quickly brushed my hair and grabbed my bookbag, rushing out of the room and jogging downstairs. When my foot left the last step a foul odor wafted through my nose, making me scrunch it up in confusion. What the heck? Why did it stink? Wait...this smells like....

My eyes widened and I dropped my bag, running into the next room and stopping dead in my tracks. The world around me seemed to stop as I stared at the scene in front of me, unable to move, my heart stopping in my chest. No....No! "No!" I whispered to myself, rushing over to Allen's corpse, my eyes watering as I placed a shaky hand on his bloodied chest. "Please no...please." I pleaded, bringing up a hand to feel for his pulse. I choked on a sob and a few tears fell from my eyes when I felt nothing. He was dead...Allen had been killed. But...by who? Why would they do this? He wasn't a bad guy! He was good! He didn't deserve this! And we were getting along so well! I bit my bottom lip, tears streaming down my face as I brushed a strand of brown hair behind his ear. He was so pale...so cold. Why did this have to happen?

I took in a shaky breath, standing up from my place next to Allen and rushed over to a phone, pulling it from its place. My hands were shaking as I pressed the buttons to dial 9-1-1. I felt sick at the sight of blood basically soaking my hands, staining the white phone red. Trying to forget that little tidbit, I brought the phone to my ear, listening to it dial before someone picked up.

"This is 9-1-1, what is your emergency?"

"P...Please. You have to hurry. M...My friend has been killed, and...and....just hurry, please!" I cried, my eyes trailing back over to where Allen lay, stiff and cold. I felt another waves of sobs starting, and I gulped, turning away from him.

"Calm down, sir. Can you give me the address?"

I started to answer, looking up and choking on my words. Lucus stood in front of me, completely covered in blood. He had a smirk on his face and I felt my heart clench tightly as I dropped the phone.

"Hello? Sir? Are you alright?"

I barely even heard the woman on the phone as Lucus began stalking up to me. I took a few steps back away from him, until my back hit the wall. He cornered me, a smirk still on his lips as he backed me into a corner. Blood soaked his shirt and his eyes were wild as he trapped me against the wall, his arms going on either side of my head. I was shaking, my heart racing in my chest, and tears streaming out of my eyes. I gulped as he got in my face, my eyes closing as I felt his warm breath against my skin. I jumped when I felt his hand cup my cheek, the scent of blood strong as he stroked the sensitive skin under my eyes. I dared not move...or even breathe for that matter. I kept my eyes shut, refusing to face the monster in front of me.

A monster I had trusted.

Why would he do this? Why would he kill his own father? Was he insane? How had I not seen this before?

"Are you scared, Sky?" I heard him ask, his breath on my face. I felt his hand trail from my cheek down to my chin where he gripped my jaw tightly, making me whimper in pain. "Answer me, Sky."

"W...W...Why? Why'd you do this? What did Allen ever do to you?!" I stuttered, goosebumps raising on my flesh when his other hand trailed up my arm.

I heard Lucus chuckle, the sound so cold that it made me shiver. "They were in my way, of course. I had to get rid of them. There's only one thing I'm after, Sky."

I gulped, my breath shaky as I realized what he said. They. Which meant that he also killed Katelynn. And the longer I thought, the more I began to realize something. He was after the sword. He wasn't Lucus...he was someone else. But who? How had he gotten past me so easily? And to think I trusted him...I told him things that I hadn't even told my brother...the man that I had been the closest with. Had he been the one Father warned me about?

More importantly...how had I been so stupid? I knew something had been off when Lucus suddenly started being nice to me. No one just switches from being mean to being nice so easily. Gah, I'm an idiot! I had been so worried about learning new things and getting friends, that I never even noticed that something had been off. The question was...was he one of my siblings? Or was he something else?

"You know..." Lucus muttered, leaning in by my ear, "you look better as a blonde."

My eyes shot open and widened as Lucus changed forms into something more familiar. "K...Kendrik." I whispered, my heart dropping as he smirked. Kendrik...of course he had gotten past me so easily. Being the Angel of Theater he was adept at acting.

I watched with wide eyes as he blinked those brown eyes of his innocently, his medium black hair spilling over his shoulders as he tilted his head towards me. "Boo."

I gasped and brought up my knee, hitting him hard in the groin.

"Fuck!" He moaned, letting go of me so I could slip away and run down the hallway.

I ran as fast as I could down the stairs and towards the front door, only to be yanked back by my hair and thrown against the wall. My breath left me and my vision turned white, long enough for Kendrik to push his arm against my throat, making me gasp and attempt to pull his arm away from me. He pressed his arm harder into my windpipe, cutting off my oxygen. I gasped and tore at his arm, trying to breathe. However, I couldn't even get a small sliver of oxygen in my lungs, making my eyes water as I choked desperately.

My chest began to clench painfully at the lack of oxygen, my vision blackening around the edges as I desperately clawed at Kendrik's arm. I needed to do something. I had to. If I don't...I would be killed here and now. I had to protect the sword. I had to keep it from him. But how was I supposed to get away from him? My eyes shifted over to an empty vase that sat next to us and I reached for it, grabbing it then turning to whack Kendrik in the head with it, making him gasp in pain and drop to his knees.

I gasped, taking in the air with relief, pressing my free hand to my neck. I blinked tears away from my eyes and glanced down at Kendrik, who was clutching at his head in pain. I had to act now...before he recovered. If I don't...he'll kill me. I need to live. I want to live. I don't want to die. With that in mind, I raised the vase over my head, my hands shaking. I swung it down with as much force as I could muster, hitting him hard in the head and making him fall to the floor unconscious. My stomach clenched in disgust as I watched a small puddle of blood form underneath his head, his eyes closed and body unmoving. However...this wasn't enough. He was going to wake up soon and was going to come after me. I...I had to kill him. It was the only way to get away from him. I felt tears prickling my eyes as I raised the vase back over my head, my breath shallow as I readied myself.

This was it...I had to do it. I had to. It was the only way. I held my breath, squeezing my eyes closed before I swung down full force.