Chapter Six

Oh, was I nervous. I was so nervous that I felt like I would pass out any minute. Today was the day of the prom. School was only half a day today, but that made it worse for me as I felt faint. I don’t know why I was so nervous, I mean, it was only a dance, right? It wasn’t something to be nervous about. However, I couldn’t help my frazzled nerves.

I sighed in frustration, dragging my hand down my face as I avoided looking at myself in the mirror. I was already dressed in my suit, the fabric a dark black with a crisp white button-up. My golden tie was already in place, and Bud had suggested having this…napkin thing…whatever he called it, in my breast pocket. My hair was pulled back into a loose bun, the sword securely attached to my right wrist. I may have looked ready on the outside, but the inside was like a tangled knot that couldn’t be undone.

I don’t know why I felt like this. Was it because I was dreading seeing Anabell with McButtface? Or was I nervous about my so called “date” Sarah? Or was I feeling like this because this was the first “event” I had ever been to?

Whatever it was, I didn’t like the feeling it gave me. I felt like I was borderline sick, but I didn’t eat anything that would make me feel like this.

It’s fine. You’re fine. Stop being a wimp, I tried reassuring myself.

I took a deep breath and looked into the mirror, my big blue eyes staring back at me. Was it bad to say that I actually missed my gold eyes? Blue seemed too overused to me. I missed having unique eyes, but I couldn’t really worry about them now. I had more important things to think about, like picking Sarah up and witnessing Anabell being picked up by Cody.

Just as that thought crossed my mind, the doorbell rang and I glanced out of the window, wincing when I saw the tall blonde. Of course he would look good in a suit, I thought bitterly, moving away from the window. As I passed the mirror, I couldn’t help but compare myself to the jock standing just outside. While he was buff and filled out his suit quite nicely, I was overly skinny with the suit a tad bit too big on me. It didn’t help that I was only an inch taller than Anabell, either, which was sad.

I frowned and tore my gaze away from myself, taking this chance to rush out of my room, nearly knocking Anabell over. I grabbed her before she could fall, and my heart caught in my throat when I caught sight of her. She looked utterly gorgeous in her dress, her curves being accentuated by the glittery fabric. Her eyes seemed so much brighter with the pink eyeshadow surrounding them, and her hair was pulled up in a tight curly bun on the top of her head. My heart rushed into overdrive from just looking at her. How could one human be so beautiful? We stared at each other, barely noticing the other moving closer…until the doorbell interrupted us. With a dark blush, I pulled away, clearing my throat as I patted Anabell on the shoulders.

“Your date is here.” I muttered with a breathy laugh, trying to will my heart to calm down. Seriously, my heart seemed like it was about to rip itself out of my chest, it was beating so hard.

Anabell blinked, then nodded as she realized that Cody was waiting on her. “Ah, right. I knew that. Um…see you at prom.” And with that, she rushed away from me.

When she was out of my sight I let out a long breath, lightly smacking the back of my head against the wall behind me. What had that been? I never felt anything so…intense before. It was a strange feeling, but…a good strange.

I rubbed my face and made my way downstairs, where Bud was on the couch watching tv. “Ah, I’m glad to see that the suit fits,” he said, glancing away from the show that was playing.

I nodded, subconsciously tugging on my sleeves. “Yeah. Um, thank you for renting this for me.”

Bud shrugged and waved me off. “No sweat, kiddo. Now, go have fun.”