Chapter Eighteen

Flying with another person was rather difficult, especially since I was sure that Anabell weighed more than me. Now, I wasn’t saying that in a bad way. I literally weighed about one hundred pounds, and that was thanks to my hollow bones. Anabell was a human, so her bones weren’t hollow, making her heavy and extremely difficult to fly with. It didn’t help that my wings were smaller than most angels, thanks to my youth. For goodness sakes, Leviathan’s wings were huge and dragged a few feet behind him if he were to walk around with them unfolded. And he was only five inches away from being seven feet tall. So they were massive.
And as we flew, I could feel the exhaustion hit me like a bus, making me fly slower than usual, Leviathan flying further and further away. When I couldn’t take it anymore, I landed on the roof of a random building, letting go of Anabell so I could bend over and breathe.
“You alright, Sky?” Anabell asked, concern written all over her stunning features.
I nodded, taking in breath after breath as I stretched my wings. “Yeah. I’m ok. I’m just not used to flying with another person, is all.”
Anabell stared at me, nibbling her plump bottom lip as she shifted her weight, nodding briefly at me. “Gosh, I still can’t get over the fact that you’re an angel. It’s so surreal. Like...were you born an angel? Or were you a human before who died and became one?”
I stretched my arms over my head, stretching out my sore muscles. “Born. Or, well, created for a better term. I don’t have a mother.”
“That’s so weird. But...so cool at the same time. So, Levi...or, Leviathan...how much older is he compared to you? And is he really your brother? Or was that like a coverup or some shit?”
I chuckled slightly, ruffling at my blonde locks. “Well, Leviathan is about seventy millennia, so he’s way older than I am. As for whether or not he’s my brother, it’s a little complicated. If we’re being extremely technical, then no, we’re not blood related, but despite that, he raised me and so I view him as my older brother. Does that make any sense?” I asked, glancing curiously at the brunette. A brunette who looked utterly stunning with the sunset behind her, making her seem like she was glowing. She was so utterly stunning, my heart leapt in my chest.
“Wait, wait, wait. You’re telling me that Leviathan is seventy thousand years old? Holy shit! How old are you then?”
I snapped out of my thoughts, blushing deeply as I glanced down at my feet. “I’m seven millennia.”
Anabell’s eyes widened to the size of a saucer, her mouth dropping with disbelief. “Good grief! You’re older than my entire lineage! You make my great, great grandpa look young! Woah! And I kissed you too! Oh gosh, wait till Donna hears about this!” At the mention of her best friend, her eyes widened. “Oh my god! I have to tell her where I’m at! She’s probably worried to death!”
“I don’t think that sounds good. We already have one too many humans that know of our existence for a fact.”
I jumped at the sound of Leviathan’s deep voice, glancing up to see that he had landed on an air conditioning unit, the glow of the sunset making his sun-kissed skin glow. His turquoise eyes were also glowing, making them stand out immensely from the yellow and orange lighting.
I nibbled at my bottom lip, looking between my brother and the one that held my heart. I looked back at my brother, noting the way those glowing turquoise orbs shifted down to me, a regal eyebrow raising in question. I cleared my throat, folding my arms behind my back as I raised onto my tippy toes.
“Well, Donna is Anabell’s best friend. What’s one other person knowing going to do to us?”
“I don’t know, maybe the fact that she could tell her friends, who will tell their friends, and before you know it, everyone will know what we are. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather that not happen.”
I sighed, glancing at Anabell briefly. I then pursed my lips, glancing back at Leviathan. “Can you at least think about it? I mean, come on, Donna is Anabell’s closest friend. She’s probably worried to death about her.”
Leviathan sighed, crossing his arms over his chest before he reluctantly nodded. “Fine. I’ll think about it. For now though, all this talk is wasting time, and I’m kind of getting tired of saying it, so, if at all possible, can we not kind of...I dunno, get back to the situation at hand and talk about all of this later?” His brows then furrowed as he looked at me curiously. “Why’d you stop flying, anyway?”
I blushed darkly, averting my eyes from the older blonde from embarrassment. “I...um...Anabell was kind of heavy...no offense Anabell, you’re perfect the way you are...but I’m also not used to flying with another person.”
“Ah. Right. Um. I guess I can carry her, then.” Leviathan said, running a big hand through his hair.
I nodded, glancing over to Anabell, who surprised me when she walked over to me and gave me a quick kiss, winking at me before she walked over to Leviathan.
“Well? Let’s get that sword, shall we?” I stammered with a dark blush over my cheeks, my wings tensing with the promise of flight.
Leviathan nodded, tensing when Anabell put her arms around his neck, the older blonde looking hilariously awkward as he wrapped his arms around her waist, giving me a nod. I gave him a thumbs up and jumped off the building, my wings flapping as I let out a small laugh, relieved to not be carrying the extra weight. Though, I wished that I could, so that I would be the one holding Anabell. Sadly, my wings weren’t big enough yet to be able to carry another person. One day they would, though, and I would fly Anabell to wherever she wanted.
I glanced over to the side and smiled at how aggravated Leviathan looked with Anabell’s long hair smacking into his face. I ended up giggling when Leviathan gave me a look of exasperation. I only grinned widely, making him roll his eyes before he looked ahead of him, making sure he didn’t fly into a building.
We flew for about three hours before we landed in a parking lot, completely exhausted. There were many people around us, but thanks to my and Leviathan’s cloaking ability, we remained unseen to wandering eyes. I glanced over at Leviathan, who had let Anabell go and was now looking around the lot with narrowed eyes. I tore my eyes away from him and watched as Anabell walked over to me, making me blush as she wrapped her arms around my neck, leaning against me.
“So, that bastard is here, is he? Gotta say, pretty smart that he picks a crowded area to hide in.”
“Precisely,” Leviathan muttered, those turquoise eyes shifting to us, his hands moving to his hips. “Despite what others think about Shane, he’s actually extremely intelligent. The sooner we find him, the better. Though,” he glanced up at the sky, the sunset turning into night, stars now scattered across a dark backdrop, “Shane wouldn’t be able to access the portal until tomorrow morning.”
“Why morning?” Anabell inquired, her brows drawn together in bewilderment.
Leviathan glanced at her. “Because the morning symbolizes a new beginning. Heaven is also a new beginning for those who have lived their life the best the can while in the mortal realm. So, it’s fitting that the portal is only open in the mornings.”
“That doesn’t really make any sense. Then again, I’m freaking talking to angels, so logic is going to be thrown out the window.” Anabell said, making my heart leap when she leaned her head against my shoulder.
Leviathan ran his fingers through his hair, his eyes scanning his surroundings before he bent down and placed his hand against the concrete, closing his eyes before a white flash almost blinded me, making me quickly shut my own eyes until the light disappeared. When I opened my eyes, Leviathan was already standing up, brushing his hands onto his pants before his eyes stopped on a building. He pointed at it and glanced at Anabell and I.
“We can bunker there for tonight. I placed a spell around the area to alert me if Shane opens the portal.:
I glanced over to where he was pointing, and was surprised to see a small hotel, only a few cars parked in it’s lot. I then frowned when I suddenly realized something, my eyes shifting back to Leviathan’s form. “Wait, we don’t have money, though. How are we going to rent a room?”
“I have a credit card, I can use that.” Leviathan answered, making me raise an eyebrow.
“Where’d you get a credit card from?” I asked, making Leviathan glance at me.
“Same place I got the car.”
“Leviathan-”
“Sky, I’ve been here for almost four months. I had to live somehow. Or, well, hide. But you know, whatever, right?” He shrugged, digging into his pocket before he pulled out a small gold card, waving it around in the air with a grin on his face. “Alrighty, let’s get a room and do the sneaky sneaky so we can finally get the Sword back, yeah?”