one; the new year.

chapter one!
( THE NEW YEAR. )
‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗

"MILLIE BOBBY! you are going to be late!" millie's mum yelled at her from downstairs as she rushed to tie her converse.

she mumbled a curse under her breath, unwillingly trudging down the stairs after one last look in the mirror. she wore lightwashed ripped mom jeans that were rolled up, a Prince t-shirt, and white convers.

"there you are, hun! took you long enough. would you like a cup of tea for the road?" her mother asked, stepping over the large boxes that crowded her way to the tea pot.

she nodded her head vaguely, watching as she poured the steaming liquid into a cup that was less likely to spill, twisting the cap on it and following the clearing back to millie's seat on the barstool.

they two women had just moved from jubilant england to the ugly and depressing town of hawkins, indiana on account of mr. and ms. brown's divorce.

that wasn't the sucky part, though; the sucky part was that she had a large amount of friends and acquaintances in england, and now had to remake them all.

millie took a slight sip of her chamomile tea as her mum kissed her goodbye, handing her the car keys to a white 2015 nissan altima. "have a good day, sweet pea! make good choices!" she yelled to millie on her way out the door, Millie shivering at the cold air.

maybe december isn't the best time to wear a t-shirt with only a jacket over it.

but, then again, december wasn't the best time to start the school year, either.

milli rolled my eyes once more as she quickly hopped into the car, turning it on as the wonderful sensation of warm air hit her face.

backing out of her driveway after having bluetoothed her phone to the car, she played any Pentatonix christmas music she could find to hopefully get her spirits back up.

as much as she hated moving, she couldn't help but admit, she was kind of excited. it was a small town, and millie was a social butterfly. she was confident that she could make many new friends.

at that thought, the first smile of her day crept onto her pretty face as she sang along as happily as she could to 'hallelujah'.

pulling into the semi small school parking lot—where a group of students were circled around one of their cars, presumably talking to one another—she parked close to the door. she really didn't want to walk far in her outfit, it being close to freezing outside.

she turned off the car, sitting for a moment, heart racing. she bit her lip—deciding to not overthink it—and pulled on the silver door handle, allowing herself out of the car.

she grabbed her pink vera bradley backpack, car keys, tea, and the slip of paper with her classes on it and trudged past the group of students, whom, when getting a closer look at them, seemed to be all jocks.

"look, boys! a new face," one of the taller boys stated, causing everyone's attention to switch from their side conversations to Millie.

"hi, i'm millie. you guys should get inside, it's quite chilly out here!" she chuckled to them, her thick british accent oozing with kindness as they all chuckled along.