Chapter 8

Even with Gavin's help, I continued to struggle with playing pool, and, in the end, was annihilated. Surprise, surprise. After the game was over, Gavin began to walk over to the bar. Afraid of being left behind, I quickly jogged after him. 

"Hey, hey, where you going?" I asked as soon as I got relatively close to Gavin. Gavin flashed a smile at me and took a seat at the bar. 

"Let's talk." He spoke in a low tone and patted the seat of the bar stool next to him. I sat down and asked, "About what?"

"Just things. Are you having fun?"

"Yeah, actually. I am." I chuckled and played with the hem of my shirt. 

"Good, I knew you would. Do you know anybody else here besides Geoff?"

"I've met Michael on a few occasions, but other than that, no."

"Ah, I see." Gavin nodded slowly. 

"It's getting pretty late." I spoke after a few moments of silence. 

"Yeah, what time is it?" 

"Close to midnight." I answered. Soon after, I saw Geoff walking up. I nodded up in his general direction, beckoning Gavin to look over his shoulder. 

"Hey, man. We're gonna go mini golfing. You guys gonna stay here?"

"I don't mind going." I said.

"We'll stay." Gavin decided for me. 

"I guess we're staying." I smiled at Geoff, then watched him walk into the crowd of people flooding out of the bar. 

"So, tell me about you." Gavin nudged my knee.

"Well, I'm Eli," I chuckled. "Uhm, I guess I spend all of my time on the internet, I prefer to stay in groups of 2 to 3 people, I love Lord of The Rings a little bit too much. I play the guitar and I'm in a cover band that covers songs by The Beatles. I like to draw occasionally, and I love hot wings. I make stupid jokes and I'm very sarcastic." I finish. 

"Your turn." I winked at Gavin. 

"Oh, please don't make me do this." Gavin groaned tiredly, with a smile stretched across his face.

"No, no, you made me do it." I pressed on. 

"Alright, fine. I'm from England, obviously. I moved out here because I was hired by Geoff, but you probably already knew that. I like the color green, and I constantly get made fun of because of my nose." Gavin let out a small laugh. 

"I like your nose. Gives you more character." I giggle.

"Oh, so now I'm a part of a cartoon now? That's the worst insult yet!" Gavin joked, then continued on. "My favorite show is Breaking Bad, and I'm terrible at video games and fashion. Does that work?"

"You seem really tired. Do you want a ride home?" I ask.

"Only if it's to your home." Gavin chuckled. 

"My home, it is." I said, standing up. Gavin smirked and began following me out the door. 

"Shot gun!" He called.

"You're the only one riding with me." I laughed.

"I know." He laughed at himself like he just told the world's greatest joke. I took note of how adorable his stupidity is. 

The entire ride home was filled with Gavin lip syncing to classic rock and me laughing at the silly faces he made doing so. When we got inside, everything in my house was turned on. 

"Either Dani is, or was here." I said, tossing my keys onto the shelf next to my door and jumping over the back of the couch, seating myself. 

"Do you want me to turn this light off?" Gavin asked, his finger over the switch close to the door. 

I looked over the back of the couch, "Uh, yeah, go for it."

As soon as he turned it on, the room was pitch black.

"Wow, I really should have turned on the TV first." I commented, struggling to find the remote. Gavin had made his way over to me and tapped me on the shoulder.

"What's up?" I ask as he hands me the remote.

"Fuck you." I said. I could tell Gavin was smiling as he moved my legs over and sat next to me. 

"What are we gonna watch?" Gavin smirked as soon as I turned on the TV. I kick up my legs and rest them on Gavin's lap, leaning back. 

"I'm just gonna put on a stupid movie." I said, picking a title at random and pressing play. 

"Sounds good enough." Gavin said just above a whisper. It was clear that he was close to crashing. I also took note of how adorable he sounds when he's tired. Shut the fuck up, Eli. Stop.

We watched the movie in silence. Gavin looked engrossed in it, while I couldn't care less about what was happening. Somewhere in the middle of the movie, Gavin fell to the side, right next to me. I didn't complain, but I was a little nervous about it. That's when Gavin snuggled up into me and whispered, "I really like you, you know. I like you a lot." After saying this, it had become clear that Gavin was out like a light. 

I was halfway between sleep and awake, and I had no idea how to respond. I just sat in silence, unaware of how to deal with this information. Struggling to comprehend, I just lied there, next to Gavin, until I had fallen asleep.