Chapter 10

As we pulled out of my driveway, Gavin turned on the radio and started flipping through stations until he found a song he liked. He must have really liked it, in fact, because he started singing along. Loudly.

"I can't focus on my driving with you singing so loud!" I joked. Gavin moved his head in closer to mine, singing even louder.

"Oh, come on!" I laughed.

"Mmm," Gavin stopped singing for a moment. "I'm hungry." He finished. 

"Wanna just like, go to McDonald's or something?" I ask. Gavin turned to me and nodded, smiling like a goon. I chuckled and turned down the radio slightly, just in time to hear Gavin's phone beep.

"Ooh, I've got a text message." Gavin sang. "Oh, it's from Geoff."

"What does it say?" I ask, leaning in towards Gavin. 

"Family emergency, they're gonna be out of town for a few days."

"He's going out of town?"

"Yeah."

"Without you?"

"I'm not family."

"But you're Gavin. I think you know where I'm going with this." I smiled.

"Oi, shove off!" Gavin cackled as I pulled into the McDonald's parking lot. 

"Let us go." I say as I park. We walked in and Gavin ran to save a table while I ordered. The place was basically empty, but he insisted. After ordering, I locate Gavin and make my way over, taking a seat across from him. 

"What'd you get?" He asked.

"2 sausage McGriddles and 2 medium coffees." I replied, crossing my legs. 

"Boring."

"I'm not rich." I chuckled. 

"It's McDonald's! Everything's bloody cheap here!"

"Bloody? Oh, yeah, forgot you guys said that."

"Don't be racist." Gavin joked. I smiled back at him and heard the cashier call my name. 

"You go get the food." I groaned.

"You're the one who's paying!"

I looked up a Gavin slowly. "I already paid." 

"Fine." Gavin whined as he jumped up and skipped over to the counter. I swear he's a 8 year old trapped in a 24 year old's body. He returns with our food and places my coffee and McGriddle in front of me. I smiled and took a bite out of my food.

"So, I guess Geoff's leaving today." Gavin shrugged, taking a sip of his coffee. "Hot! Hot!" Gavin shouted as I watched, laughing. 

"Why're you laughing? That's not funny! That's pain!" Gavin asked in disbelief. 

"I don't know, it's funny." I giggled, covering my mouth with my left hand. Gavin shook his head and smiled. 

"Anyway, I think he's leaving today." Gavin continued where he'd left off. 

"That big of an emergency, huh?" I asked, finishing off my McGriddle. 

"Are you already done? We just got that not even 5 minutes ago!"

"Stop getting distracted." I mumbled, wiping my mouth with my hand. 

Gavin sighed, "Yeah, It's probably got something to do with Griffon's mom." 

"That sucks." I looked down at my free hand as I took a sip of coffee. 

"How come that didn't burn you?" Gavin asked, furrowing his brow. 

"Because I let it cool." I replied in a snarky tone. 

"Oh, you shush." He smiled and took a bite of his food. 

"Hurry up, I'm ready to go." I jokingly said after a few moments of silence. 

"I'm not a vacuum like some people." Gavin tilted his head towards mine.

"Then why do you suck so much?" I remarked playfully before sticking my tongue out at him. 

"Watch it, now." Gavin chuckled. 

"Oh, yes, sir, Mr.Free, sir!" I rolled my eyes and stood up. "C'mon." I said, picking up my coffee.

"But I haven't finished, yet!" Gavin whined.

"That's what she said." I said as I began to walk towards the door. I heard Gavin quickly getting up and trying to catch up with me. We got into the car and Gavin looked at me with half of a McGriddle hanging out of his mouth. I tore a piece off and popped it into my mouth.

"That was mine!" Gavin pouted.

"Not anymore." I grinned and pulled out of the parking spot.

"To your house, correct?" I asked Gavin, who was trying to finish his food as quickly as possible.

"Correct." Gavin confirmed with his mouth full.