Chapter 12

"Here you go," Gavin said, taking a towel from the hall closet and handing it me as I stood dripping on his kitchen floor.

"Thanks." I said, taking the towel and wrapping my self up. I walked into the living room and took a seat on the couch. A clap of thunder rumbled in the sky outside as Gavin sat down next to me.

"Sounds like we got out just in time." Gavin said. I nodded in response.

"So, movie?" He asked, smiling and picking up the remote.

"Yeah, but only if I get to choose." I smirked, referring to the last time when Gavin came over.

"Nah, you see, I can't do that."

"Why's that?"

Gavin leaned in closer to me, "because then you'd win."

I rolled my eyes and leaned back, holding the towel around my body, attempting to receive warmth. He sat down next to me and picked up the remote. The red Netflix loading screen lit up the television and colored the room around us. "Anything in particular you feel like watching?" he asked with smile.

"I don't care," I replied, shivering a little.

"What's taking so long?" Gavin asked, annoyed, nodding toward the TV, which still displayed the loading screen.

"Probably the storm slowing down the connection."

"It doesn't sound that bad-" he started to say, when a crack of thunder exploded almost directly overhead. "Uh, scratch that thought."

"Yeah, summer rain storms roll in fast. It probably won't last long."

"Summers are relatively dry where I'm from."

"Tell me about 'where you're from'," I suggested. Just then, the air conditioner came on. A blast of cold air hit me and I shivered, harder than before.

"Jesus Christ, I'm freezing!" I complained, holding the towel closed.

"Oh, you're such a wimp." Gavin said in a mocking tone.

"Shut up." I smiled up at him.

"It's not even that cold, God!" Gavin scoffed, crossing his arms and rolling his eyes.

"I'll cut you."

"I'm Eli, I'm too punk rock for temperatures." He continued.

"Oh, come on, I never said that."

Gavin smiled wide at me and put his arm around my shoulder, pulling me close.

"Better?" He asked.

"Yes." I softly smiled as I snuggled up into him. An enormous thunderclap boomed above us, rattling the house, making us both jump. The room went dark as the television's red glow disappeared.

"I've got an idea" Gavin said as he stood up and walked around the couch, disappearing down the hall. He returned moments later with a few candles and a lighter.

"Now, where were we?" Gavin asked after he returned to the couch and lit the candles.

"Right about here, I think." I said, pressing my head into his shoulder. With a hand gently cradling my chin, he lifted my face to his and kissed me again. The tingling feeling washed up my spine again, and a flood of warmth rushed across my skin. When his lips released mine, a breathless sigh escaped me.

"You alright?" he whispered. I let the towel fall away and wrapped my arms around him, answering his question with another kiss. He pulled me up into his lap, careful not to break the kiss. Right then, everything seemed to fall into place. I couldn't lie to myself anymore. His lips pressed to mine confirmed my feelings right there and then. I was in love with him, and I was pretty certain that he felt the same way. I was completely lost in the moment.

I twisted my body to face him, my legs on either side of his waist. His lips pressed to mine more firmly, guiding mine like waves into each kiss as I closed my eyes. I felt him press his body closer to mine, my breasts pressing against his firm chest, our hips meeting. The blood rushed to my cheeks suddenly, the feeling of such intimate body contact unfamiliar to me.

My stomach started to fill with butterflies but I managed to keep them calm. Remember to breathe, Eli, I thought to myself. Keep it cool.

Next thing I knew, he was leaning forward against me. He slowly pressed me onto the couch, his body hovering over mine momentarily. I linked my arms around his neck and he lowered himself on top of me, pressing into my body again. I gasped quietly, a sudden feeling of nerves rushing through me. I tried to draw back my head, but his lips found mine again.

"G-g-gavin..." I stuttered, trying to draw his attention but with little effect. "Gavin, stop," I repeated, pushing him up and away from me slightly and breaking the kiss.

"What's wrong?" A look of confusion washed over his face.

"I'm... I'm not ready to go this far with you," I let the words slip past my lips, nervously turning my head. His head tilted, my words adding more to his confusion.

"Eli, if you thought I was going to have sex with you-"

"No, no, no, it's not that," I sighed. "I've just... I've never been this... I don't know if I'm ready." I looked back at him, watching for his reaction. All he did was give a little smile, a mix of concern and care in his eyes. There was something about the innocence of his face in that moment that drew me in.

"It's okay, I understand. Let's take things slow, alright? We don't have to continue if you don't want to." He softly whispered, slightly smiling afterwards.