Chapter 28

“I had a lot of fun today,” Gavin remarked as we made our way to the car. I smiled, looking down at my feet as I walked, still playing around with my keys.

“Hopefully we’ll be able to get an indoor venue soon. I miss performing. Oh, there was this one time where there was fog all over the stage and colored lights, and it was like, midnight. God, it was so much fun. I miss those days.” I looked up at him, a big smile on his face as he listened to me talking.

“What?” I asked him, hopping into the car.

“Nothing, nothing,” he laughed, getting in beside me. “I just love watching you talk about the things you love. It adds that little extra something to your voice.”

I shrugged, still smiling as I stuck the key into the ignition and started up the car. I pulled out of the parking lot and onto the highway, indicating left to head towards Gavin’s place. Gavin was playing with the radio, flicking through the channels to find a song he liked. He came to a stop on the local radio station which was playing a Beatles song. I glanced over at him, laid back against the seat and his feet tapping on the ground as he sang softly to the rest of the song. I smiled, looking back to the road, listening to his sweet, off-key voice singing along to the members of one of my favourite bands.

I was lost in my own mind, thinking back on the whole weekend with Gavin when Gavin’s arm tapping my shoulder snapped me out of my trance.

“Eli, listen up,” He leaned forward more towards the radio, listening to the alert that just came on. “They’re saying something about a fire near where you live by the sounds of it.”

He looked over at me, a worried expression clouding his eyes. I listened to the reporters repeat the incident and jerked up straight in my seat. “That is my street!” I exclaimed, hitting the indicators to turn back around in the direction of home.

We could hear sirens as I turned off into my lane, and they kept getting louder. Gavin pointed out in front of us at the blue and red flashing lights by the driveway of my house. There was a police car and fire truck outside, with firemen rolling back up their huge hose opposite the front of my house. I jumped out of the car, running over to the scene when I spotted Dani talking to two policemen. Gavin jogged up behind me, struggling to match his pace to my fast strides.

“I’m so sorry, Eli... I never meant for this to happen,” Dani looked over at me tearfully when I reached her, Gavin’s hand on my shoulder trying to soothe me.

“I’m so sorry,” she repeated, sobbing as I looked back and forth between her and the house.

What have you done…?

_____________________________________________________________________________

A/N - I am currently writing the prequel for Achievement Unlocked, if you'd like to read it and give feedback, that would be amazing. http://www.wattpad.com/story/19538833-what%27s-funny