Chapter 17

“So, this is your new place?” I asked, following Gavin into his new apartment.

“Yeah, it’s not the best, but at least it’s closer to work.” He replied.

“This place smells like shit.” Dani commented, stepping over piles of trash.

“Wow, harsh.” I said quickly.

“Oh, you both know it’s true. So, are you really expecting me to help clean?” Dani scrunched up her nose.

“Yeah.” Gavin replied.

“Ew. No. No way am I touching anything in this dump.” Dani confirmed, placing both hands on her hips and shaking her head.

“Come on, you said you would.” I complained.

“Yeah, but I didn’t think it would be this bad.” Dani continued shaking her head.

“Oh, stop being such a baby.” Gavin said.

“I am not being a baby, this place is disgusting!”

“Chill out.” I mumbled, picking up a trash bag. Dani copied me while Gavin moved a rotting shelf.

“Oh, God, what is that?” Dani whined, pointing at a heap of trash. “I swear to God, it’s moving.”

Gavin began to laugh as Dani squealed and moved into a corner.

“I think it used to be -” I started. Dani cut me off.

“Don’t even finish that sentence.” She gagged, making Gavin laugh harder.

“It’s not funny!” She whined.

“Yeah, it kinda is.” I chuckled as Dani flashed me a dirty look.

Hours have passed and we were still cleaning, picking up trash and moving old furniture out onto the front porch. I could tell Gavin was excited to get the place all cleaned up. As I helped him with cleaning, Dani sat in the corner, observing and making comments such as, “God, this is so gross.”, and “I can’t believe I’m even here.”. We were close to being finished, the only room left was the bedroom.

“We’re going to have to move this mattress so we can clean the floor.” Gavin said, nodding up at me.

“Yeah.” I nodded back. “Dani?” I looked over at her.

“Nope. Nope. Not touching that… Thing.” She shook her head violently.

“I don’t think Gavin and I could do it on our own.” I sighed.

“Please?” Gavin asked.

Dani continued to shake her head. “I can’t. I just can’t.”

“Dani, you said you’d help.” I whined.

“Yeah, but that was before I knew how disgusting this place was.”

“Fine.” I groaned and walked over to the opposite side of the mattress and helped Gavin lift. We picked it up fine, but struggled to get it out of the doorway.

“Dani, please help us.” I said softly.

“I can’t!” She complained. “It’s so gross!”

“Please?” I asked.

“No way.” She huffed.

“Fine.” I hissed. Gavin and I set it down in the middle of the doorway. Gavin sighed and shook his head, picking up a new trash bag. I walked over to my bag and tied the ends. getting a new one as well. Dani yawned and leaned against the bed.

“I don’t know why you guys even need my help. You seem to be doing fine on your own.” She shrugged.

“It would go along faster if you would just help.” I groaned and looked up at her.

“Dani, you’re leaning against the bed.” Gavin pointed out.

“Ew!” Dani shrieked and jumped forward. “That’s so gross!”

Gavin and I burst into a fit of uncontrollable laughter.

“It’s not funny!” She cried.

“Yeah, it kind of is.” I said, wiping a tear from my eye.

“You guys suck.” Dani pouted while Gavin and I continued to laugh.