Chapter 25

It was starting to get dark, and I was well past the point of drunk. Gavin had crossed that thin line around an hour ago, and was now sitting at the table across from me enthusiastically telling me about his day. He was slurring and sputtering out his words, making it even harder to understand him.I aimlessly looked around the backyard as he was speaking and noticed everyone was taking a seat in the folding chairs that were placed neatly in lines.

"Gavin," I said, catching his attention, "they're going to do the thing." I finished, standing up. He grunted in response as he stood up as well. I looked over my shoulder as I walked up to a chair, making sure that Gavin was following. We took a seat and began to watch as everybody was getting prepared for the ceremony. Moments after everything was set up and ready, the crowd was hushed as we all listened to Michael and Lindsay's vows. Few people were crying, along with the occasional 'aww'. Everything seemed to be over in minutes, and everyone clapped. Most people stood up and began to take pictures of the lovely bride and groom, while others made their way over to the table with the cake. I was one of those people. I stood there patiently as I waited for Michael and Lindsay to come over and cut it, because that was always my favorite part of the wedding. After the cake was cut, there was a beat, then Ray yelled, "FOOD FIGHT!" and tossed a handful of cake at Michael.

"Hey, hey, what was that for?" He asked, grabbing a hunk of cake and tossing it at Ray.

"No! My only weakness!" Ray shouted as the cake hit him in the face, bringing him to his knees. Before I knew it, everybody was throwing cake around and running to take cover. My mood was immediately lifted as I took some cake for myself and shoved it into Gavin's face. He gave me a challenging look and smeared the cake off of his face, then transferred that cake to my face. I grabbed some more cake and threw it over at Geoff with as much force as I could. 

“That’s the most delicious ‘fuck you’ ever!” Geoff laughed as soon as he got hit. I looked around and noticed Gavin wasn’t by my side. He was probably looking for more vulnerable people. I had picked up a small plate and filled it with cake, stocking up on 'ammo'. Soon after that I was hit in the back with a handful of cake, which knocked the plate out of my hand and sent it to the floor. I turned around to see who it was.

"Griffon!" I shouted, "How could you betray me like this!" I smiled wide and finished my sentence with getting my revenge and pelting her in the chest with more cake. She burst into laughter after being hit, then turned her attention to somebody else. I looked around as I was getting attacked with cake by multiple people. Everything was covered in cake, and there were chunks of it flying through the air. I pushed my dress down and smeared more cake over myself, and then became aware that every part of my body was covered in cake. I turned around and saw Gavin's face inches from mine. He smirked and shoved more cake in my face. Quickly after, the war had stopped and everybody was seated at the small tables, listening to music, drinking, and chatting to each other. Gavin and I had moved to a new table, one that wasn't completely covered in cake. I had pulled up a chair next to him so I could be seated closer to him. Gavin looked down on my and smiled.

"What's the smile for?" I asked, resting my head on his shoulder.

"I bet you taste absolutely delicious." He chuckled.

"I could say the same to you." I replied as he let out another chuckle.

"Take a picture with me." He smiled and pulled his phone out of his front pocket.

"Why?" I groaned and sat up.

"Because." He put his arms around me and held his phone out. I looked at the screen and smiled, and right before Gavin took the picture, he turned his head and kissed my cheek. My face clearly showed shock and happiness. My cheeks burned red as he pulled away and showed me the picture, smiling wide. I was speechless, still trying to comprehend what had just happened and how ridiculously cute it was.

We spent the rest of the night talking about how much fun it was to come here. Every once in a while we would have a small fit of laughter because of something that Gavin had said. It was a lot of fun, and I'm really glad that I came.

Gavin was leaning over the table and laughing when his head shot up, becoming more alert.

"What is it, boy?" I asked jokingly.

"I'm not a dog!" He chuckled, "But listen, you know that song?" He asked, looking up at me and smiling wide. I rolled my eyes as soon as I noticed it was The Outfield. Gavin jumped up and grabbed my hand, pulling me up with him and dragging me over closer to the speakers. He placed his hands on my hips and looked me in the eyes, softly singing along. I couldn't help but giggle. I rested my head on his shoulder as he slow danced with me, still singing in a low voice.

Tonight was perfect.