Chapter 23

I awoke to the sound of my alarm, sitting up straight and alert. I quickly hopped out of bed and immediately jumped on my computer. I opened up the template from yesterday and quickly finished it, with fresh new ideas that I had obtained from my refreshing slumber. Afterwards, I sent it in and opened up a new one and got to work on that one, completing it within the hour. Afterwards I walked into my room and got dressed, getting ready to go out and get a dress for Michael’s wedding. I hopped in my car and made my way to the strip mall.

When I arrived, I stepped out of my car and felt the hot pavement burning my feet through my shoes “The weather here is ridiculous,” I whispered under my breath

That’s more like it, I thought as I paused for a moment to enjoy the blast of cold air that greeted me just inside the large front doors. Now, I needed to find a cheap dress shop. I spotted the perfect place within a few moments. Dress Barn, that has to be cheap. I walked into the store and searched through the racks for a good ten minutes before finding the perfect dress. It was simple, short, and black, with a midnight blue bow on the hip. I turned around and looked at the shoes for a moment before deciding that I didn’t need new shoes, as I had a few good pairs at home. I checked out and exited the store, walking past all of the vendors who kept asking me to try their lotion or smell their perfume. I ignored them and left the mall, returning to the insane heat. I’m going to end up breaking a sweat on the 3 minute walk to my car.

After I was seated in my car, I looked at the fuel gauge. “Son of a bitch.” I swore, noticing that it was nearly empty. I remembered that there was a gas station close to the mall, and decided to swing by it on my way home. I made it to the station just in time as my clunker sputtered to a halt next to the pump. I fed my card into the machine and filled up my tank, shifting my weight multiple times as I waited impatiently for it to finish filling up. When it was finally finished, I walked into the small convenience store to grab a drink in hopes of beating this heat on my way home. As I was filling up a large cup full of ice, I noticed that Geoff was standing next to me, getting a drink for himself.  

“Hey! How are you?” he asked, leaning against the counter.

“Oh, hey.” I turned my attention towards him, “I’m doing alright. Yourself?” I asked while putting a lid on my drink.

“I’m doing just swell. How’d the dinner with Gavin go?”

“It seems like everybody knows about that,” I said softly, running my fingers through my hair.

“Yeah, Dani and I helped him plan the whole thing for you. The black roses were my idea,” he smiled, “did you like it?’

“I actually couldn’t make it, I had work.” I replied with my head down, looking at my feet.

“That’s disappointing, he was really looking forward to it.” Geoff frowned.

Fuck, I thought, I feel even worse about it now.

“Yeah, I felt really bad about letting him down. Anyway, I’ll see you at the wedding. It’s tomorrow, right?”

“Yeah, didn’t know you were coming. Well, I gotta go, I’ll see you there.” He smiled as he turned around and made his way over to the checkout and bought his drink, then left the store. I stood there for a moment, feeling sorry for myself, and for Gavin. I shook my head, trying to dismiss the thought as I walked over to the counter and paid for my drink.

Today is not the best day, I thought as I quickly jogged out of the store and back to my car.

When I made it home, I went straight to my room, tossed the dress onto the floor, and flopped onto my bed, groaning loudly. After a few moments I decided to get up, pickiing the dress up and holding it up to my body. I stood in front of my mirror and posed slightly, making myself chuckle. I returned to my place on the bed and thought. 

I guess I should probably call Gavin, or Dani. Someone to talk to. Gavin would be better, but I just don't feel like it right now. I have too much on my mind with work and the wedding, and blowing Gavin off. I groaned louder. I can't believe I did that to Gavin. All because of stupid work. I feel like such a shitty person, he probably doesn't even want me to go to the wedding anymore. At least I know why Dani was acting all weird, so I have a bit of closure, but that isn't the point. Gavin was really upset and it was all because of me. I sat up quickly, reaching over for my phone. I played around with the case for a few minutes before finally unlocking it and sending a quick text to Gavin. 

I'm sorry. What time do you want me to pick you up tomorrow?

I pressed send and stared at my phone waiting for a response. I shook my head and impatiently tapped my foot, still waiting. Finally, my phone buzzed in the palm of my hand.

Is 9:30 okay?

I sighed and shook my leg nervously as my fingers danced across the keyboard. 

Yeah, that's fine. I really am sorry. I just have a lot going on.

Don't sweat it. See you tomorrow. :)

I smiled and set my phone down softly on my comforter, then laid down in bed. I know it was only like, 3, but I was starting to feel drowsy. Within moments I had fallen into a deep sleep.