Chapter 1

AKAASHI KEIJI
The second son of the Akaashi family - a prestigious family of karate masters. People from all over Japan will head to their dojo just to learn the martial art. It is said that the Akaashi family is the only family who now holds the true secret to the art of karate. Keiji and his older brother holds a friendly rivalry for the title of the next grandmaster-

*Akaashi's POV*

"What a bunch of baloney." I slowly used my feet to push away a metal can as I walked down the ever familiar and unvaried lane. In this quiet side of town, nothing ever happened. I, being bored, ended up searching wikipedia for my name, finding this nonsense while I was at it. I was a black belt myself, but being brought up in this entire lie actually made me see the truth better. There was no true art to karate. My grandfather himself had told me while drunk -- my great great grandfather was trying to impress my great great grandmother with flying kicks when he got approached by a passing karate master for his, and I quote "Wonderful showcase of the ancient art of shaolin karate". Also, there was no competition between my brother and I. It had already been decided since birth that my brother would be the next grandmaster.

Checking for the date on my phone, I came to realise that it was the fifth of December. My birthday.

I raised my eyebrows in slight amusement. It was not as if anyone would celebrate it. Instead, I started to wonder if Kuro had a case for me, slowly running my tongue along my lips. It would be the perfect birthday present. My prey, eyes widened in fear.

Upon reaching my house, I gingerly removed my shoes and placed them neatly on the shoe rack. Well, I wouldn't call where I lived a house, considering that it stretched to the end of the street. "I'm home." I mumbled as I walked towards my room. The house was silent as usual. Tranquil, as my father would call it. 8.30am. Everyone would be at the dojo. I had better go before someone pestered me to. Changing into my uniform, I headed to the dojo at the east gate.

"Father." I bowed respectfully. "Keiji, you're late. Now hurry up and join us." "Yes Father." I positioned myself at the back of the dojo. The class started. Everyone yelled "Hah!" when my father did. It was quite the entertainment, watching novices trying to imitate my father. They seemed like they were playing monkey see monkey do.

I had to act good in front of my family, someone responsible. That would prevent my aunt from shipping me off to a marriage interview with a rich lady from another traditional family. That was how my brother got married to the grand tea master's daughter. If I was dependable, they would trust my decisions now, wouldn't they?

I headed to my room after 2 hours of training. It was one left turn, then right and right again. I knew my way through the whole house at the back of my mind. Afterall, I had been living here for 20 years. No, 21 years. I pulled open the door to my room, greeted by the owl figurines and plushies that sat on top of my cabinets. They were probably my favourite things about this house, my owl plushies and my owl feather collection which lay neatly in my drawer.

I patted one of the owls gently. Owls were great animals. They worked hard at night, swooping down and catching their prey with their amazing pinpoint night vision. No prey could escape them. They had pretty feathers too. And the chills that the owls sent down my spine everytime they stared at me with those glowing yellow eyes were like just so intriguing.

I grabbed some clothing from the drawers and headed into the shower. It was nice feeling the warm water spray down on me. It was a freezing cold day, and I just did some martial arts with only one layer of uniform.

I came out of the bath, wiping my dripping hair and checking my phone for any new messages. To my delight, I had a text from Kuro. Kuro had finally deposited a case file at Iwazumi's bar and being the silly guy he was, he sent me an eccentric happy birthday text too.