Chapter 16

Bokuto-san's father was a man near his eighties with a crop of unruly greying hair and owl-shaped eyes just like Bokuto-san. He looked surprisingly strong for a person lying sick in the hospital bed. "Jii-san, I brought Akaashi Keiji." I flinched at the mention of my family name but bowed respectfully to Bokuto-san's father. Bokuto-san muttered a soft apology. "Kou, I want to drink the coffee from the cafeteria downstairs." He gave Bokuto-san sad puppy eyes. I smiled, only a little, when Bokuto-san flung open the door and ran out. Envy, just a small bit, crept into my heart.

"Akaashi, right?"

I proceeded to nod but shook my head instead.

"Call me Keiji, sir."

"Ok. Keiji-kun. I see my son has managed to convince you to join us. I'm sorry that this offer has caused some conflict with your family."

"Sir, what conflict?"

I widened my eyes in disbelief when his next words left his mouth.

"Your father publicly disowned you."
.
.
.
*Third person's POV*
"I see." Keiji slowly replied but otherwise showed no apparent reaction to the alarming sentence.

"Sorry for bringing up old wounds. I'll be leaving my son in your care now." Bokuto jii-san started off.

"It's ok sir." Keiji curtly replied.

"Kou isn't a bad kid, he is just childish and little bit of a handful at times. I hope you would do your best to assist him and make yourself useful. Could you pour me a glass of water by the way, thank you."

Akaashi walked over and daintily lifted the jug to pour some water, passing it to Bokuto jii-san.

Bokuto jii-san started chattering away about Bokuto-san when he was young. Keiji sat down at the chair beside him, listening patiently to Bokuto-san's "tales of bravery".

*Akaashi's POV*
Bokuto jii-san was going on about how an earthworm somehow found its way onto the dining table, and how a five year-old Bokuto-san almost ate it, thinking it was a gummy worm. I had to cover my mouth to hide the small snicker that had escaped.

Just then Bokuto-san burst in holding three cups of steaming hot coffee. He placed them on the bedside table and glared immaturely at his father, folding his arms "Jii-jii don't get so chummy with Keiji."

*Bokuto's POV*
Those words left my mouth before I could stop them. I blushed hard. I...I'm not jealous. I was just running too fast back. And Keiji was supposed to be closer to me but he was laughing with my father, laughing! K...eiji d...doesn't laugh when he's with me. My heart felt a jolt of pain. I started taking deep breaths in case it was a heart attack.

My father gave me a fake innocent look as if saying "Too bad you left us alone" plus "I didn't bully him, Keiji is nice by the way." I shot him a glare and turned around, sulking.

*Akaashi's POV*
Bokuto-san went "Hmph!" and turned around pouting. I giggled and realised my mishap, reverting back to a neutral looking face.

Luckily, Bokuto-san's father managed to persuade him to stop ignoring him. Both of them were so alike. Both physically and mentally. Child-like, annoying, but also caring and full of love. One could tell Bokuto jii-san loved Bokuto-san alot. Being businessmen, they were more innocent than I thought. We talked for a while more. Basically it was only Bokuto-san and his father speaking. I only stood at a corner to listen for a while before heading outside to give them some private time.

*Bokuto-san's POV*
"Kou, do you know why I asked you to bring Keiji-kun into the group?"

I shook my head.

"Keiji-kun is talented and a good kid. I know he will take good care of you if I go. He has some family conditions so he does not realise his own potential. It will be your job to help him."

My father winked.

"And he's a guy too isn't he? He doesn't seem like the type who is homophobic. You stand a chance." Saying that, he gives me a nudge.

"Jii-jii..." I frowned.

"Anyways, what's done is done. Have you guys done it yet?"

In that moment, I could totally see my face go red. My father smirked at me with a knowing face.

"Now, I need some sleep. Shoo. Go to your Keiji-kun."

"Oyaji..." He waved me off. I stepped outside.

That was the last time I ever saw him...a...alive...