Chapter 27

Flashback 5 years ago.
Bokuto lived happily with his father but he was still curious of his mother whom he had never seen before, ever in his life. His father would not tell him what had happened even after he asked so many so many times.

The teenage Bokuto was not one of obedience. He always hung out with the wrong crowd. Came home late, frolicking around almost every other day in Shibuya or Shinjuku, sometimes Roppongi too. How he met her was an accident. He was an adolescent, and curiousity came in that package. He went into the red light district carelessly during a dare by his "friends". Bokuto walked in, exploring the sights and sounds of the foreign land. He came across what his friends called a brothel, a woman was standing outside, doing erotic poses to attract customers. She purred if someone just walked by and felt her at all the wrong places. Bokuto was appalled but something about that woman just made his mind go click. The woman, her hair. Snow white just like his.

Bokuto had knew all his life that his mother was one with snow white hair. His father had a crown of jet black hair so the only logical explanation for his uniquely coloured hair was genetics from his mother because he was not albino. He certainly wasn't, just look at his tanned brown skin.

The woman noticed him too, staring. And stopped at her tracks, looking at him, eyes widened. He closed in just enough to hear her whisper, "You shouldn't be here. He promised." "Who promised what big sis?" He used the most casual voice he could. "Your father is Bokuto Seijirou right?" Bokuto nodded. "As I thought, wait for me while I call for my break, we have much to catch up on, my son."

"I left because your grandparents were very strict. They hated me alot because of my disgraceful upbringing.  I still love Seijirou-san, I really still do." She started off. "It has been 18 years, why haven't you at least try to find Oyaji or me?" Bokuto looked at her, finding it hard to believe everything that had happened in the span of 10 minutes. "I cannot escape as I owe the brothel money. I was a geisha before Seijirou-san and I met. He helped me and we fell in love. I was then forced to leave when we got married. I never told Seijirou-san about the money I owed them." "I can tell Oyaji to help, he would be so happy to know you are back." "No. Please don't, I do not want to trouble him, really." Bokuto accepted the reasoning and that was how their first meeting went.

The second time Bokuto went to find her, she told him never to tell his father of their meetings as she had no face to meet with him and he always thought that she had betrayed him. It was that or Bokuto would never see her again. Bokuto was not going to take any chances. He never told his father of their meetings, not even uttering a word to him.

4 years ago
A year passed. Their meetings were set up fortnightly at a certain cafe down the street. Bokuto was elated by the meetings, thus not noticing the slight change in his mother's behaviour. There was irritation present in her voice now, as if her son was just a pure annoyance to her. Of course, she did not blatanly expressed her opinion to her son. She wanted the money. Seijirou was paying so it was a win-win deal for both of them. Bokuto gets a mother and she only needs to spend 2 hours every two weeks to accompany him to earn $500 each time.

But still to her, Bokuto was a chore. He was too talkative and no fun to talk to just like his father. He was overly naive. She did not like him and felt no attachment, only yearning for the two hours to be over and of course her pay.

She stopped turning up around the time Bokuto-san went to University. He could not wait to tell her that he had gotten into the city's most prestigious school, T University. But she wasn't there at their usual waiting spot. He checked, making sure it was the right day and right time. He called her mobile but the mechanical voice "The number you are calling is no longer in use." was heard instead.  Maybe she changed her phone number recently. He started to wait. Wait. Wait. Wait. All the way till the cafe's closing time. She still didn't come. Bokuto went home, depressed.