Chapter: Twelve

Ch. 12 The Magazines

I woke up, my head sunk in my pillow and the sun pouring through my window. I blinked around a bit, my eye’s landing on my alarm clock on my nightstand. 9:36 it read. 9:36?

“Good Morning,” A voice called making me jump. Piper sat at the end of my bed.

“Piper, what the hell?”

“Well, you’re a cup of tea this morning,” She growled.

“Do you know what time it is?”

“Yeah, 9:37.”

“We have school at 7:30!”

“I’m aware.”

“Why aren’t you there? And why didn’t you wake me up!”

“I turned your alarm clock off.”

“Why!?”

“Because, I am almost positive you wouldn’t want to go to school today.”

“Piper, I’m fine. Harry and I are over. I have to move on,” I most likely gave my sister the wrong message last night when I struggled to let Harry go at the airport and almost cried my way home.

“That’s not why. Look.” In her lap, Piper picked something up and threw it at me. A magazine. “Go to page 42.”

“Okay,” I did what I was told.

HARRY STYLES MYSTERY GIRL IDENTIFIED AS 17 YEAR OLD SHANA MILLER

The headline read. In it were the pictures of Piper and I with the boys getting ice cream and getting in the van.

“Here’s another,” Piper tossed another magazine at me.

IS TEENAGE SEATTLE NATIVE SHANA MILLER HARRY STYLES NEW LOVE INTEREST?

Piper kept the magazines coming.

HARRY STYLES SEEN LIPLOCKING MYSTERY GIRL AT THE AIRPORT

HARRY STYLES CAUGHT KISSING SHANA MILLER

1D’S HARRY STYLES AND MYSTERY GIRL’S HEARFELT GOODBYE AT AIRPORT

ONE DIRECTION’S HARRY STYLES KISSING HIS NEW GIRLFRIEND SHANA MILLER

I was so focused on Harry, I wasn’t even aware of the cameras or looking for any paparazzi at the airport last night but with the amount of pictures there were of Harry and I kissing, it showed that there were loads of people taking snaps of the two of us.

“That happened less than twenty-four hours ago!” I screeched. 

“I know…”

“How were these people able to get it in a magazine so quickly?” I stared in awe at all the magazines. My cell phone beside me buzzed.

“That’s been going off all morning,” Piper whined. I took it in my hand. Fifty-four missed messages and twenty-two missed calls.

Oh my god, Shana. Are you dating Harry Styles?

How did you meet Harry Styles?

You kissed Harry Styles? 

Are you and Harry dating?

Is Harry Styles your boyfriend?

The text messages about Harry went on fifty-four times. I didn’t even want to know what my voicemail sounded like. I dropped my phone in my lap and buried my face in my hands.

“This can’t be happening,” I groaned.

“Well, it is and it seems like unless you suddenly aren’t linked to Harry anymore, your life is screwed.”

“But I’m not! I’m never going to see him again!”

“Well, maybe if you two didn’t act like you were going off into war and ate each other faces off, all this wouldn’t have happened.”

“Thanks for the sympathy, Piper.”

“Well, I’m just as screwed too. People now know me as Shana Miller’s sister, the girl who made out with Harry Styles.”

“Well, what do I do?”

“Not show your face until all this passes over.”

“Logically, Piper.”

“I don’t know. I’m not the one who publicly kissed a guy from the biggest boy band in the universe!” Piper rolled off my bed, leaving the dozen magazines sprawled all over and left my room. 

The rest of the day all I could think about was Harry. I missed him. Yet, I knew it was for the better that we were now apart. My phone went off so much, I eventually had to shut it off. I decided cleaning the apartment could take my mind off things but soon I realized no matter what I did my mind drifted to him and the current situation I was in. I really needed my dad.

“Hey, Shana!” Piper’s voice called from the living room.

“What?” I was in the middle of mixing the batter for cupcakes, another attempt to get my mind off things.

“Come here!” She said. From the kitchen I followed Piper’s voice. “Look.” Piper pointed to the television. Just when I realized it was impossible to get Harry out of my head, it was confirmed. There One Direction was on my television screen being interviewed. 

“Gosh,” I whined but I had to sit next to Piper. There was no way I was leaving.

“So how are you young men doing?” The interviewer asked.

“Swell,” replied Louis.

“Great. Happy to be here.” Liam said as well. 

“Happy to have you. Tell me Niall, it must feel weird knowing that you simply auditioned for a singing competition and now you are this successful.”

“You never really get use to it. I think about how far we’ve come everyday. We wouldn’t be able to do it without the fans,” Niall shared in his Irish accent.

“Do you boys ever have time to be just normal guys?”

“I think that’s what makes us unique. We are just a couple of normal guys doing what we love. I mean, things are definitely different now for us but we will always be the same people no matter what,” Zayn said his opinion.

“Now how many of you have girlfriends?” The interviewer smirked a saucy grin. Zayn, Louis and Liam rose their hands. “Interesting. Only two of you left. Harry, you say you’re single but it seems like you were hitting it off with a girl at the airport last night really well.”

“Yeah. She’s a friend of mine.”

“A friend? Never met two friends that kiss like that. Where did you meet her?” The interviewer proceeded. Harry adjusted uncomfortably in his seat.

“She is a friend. I met her during the tour. She’s a very lovely girl and we get on really well.”

“Is she someone you could see yourself have a relationship with?”

“Well, she’s in Seattle and I’m traveling like mad so I don’t know. But she’s a good person.”

“I’m guessing, that’s all you’ll share with us about her.”

“She’s lovely,” Harry nodded.

I just stared, unmoving at the screen and the interview continued. My entire body was frozen after Harry’s chat about me. This boy was sure to drive me to my grave. I was full-heartedly head over heels for Harry Styles.