Chapter: Thirty

Ch. 30 Dinner

I scooted myself in the chair next to Harry. Everyone was already sitting, except Lucas of course. I felt Harry’s eyes on me, as he knew I was just with him.

“Where’s Lucas,” Linda asked me.

“I don’t know,” I said not willing to look at anyone.

“Well, I guess we’ll just have to start without him…” Doug shrugged.

“I’m here,” Lucas waddled into the kitchen. He sat in between Piper and Kendra, him not making eye contact with anyone either.

“Well then, let’s eat!” Piper expressed and we all dug into our food. Luckily, Linda, Kendra and Doug took the wheel of the conversation maker at the table as Harry, Lucas and I all sat tense in our spots. Harry was aware that something was going on. Under the table he squeezed my hip. I looked him out of the corner of my eyes. He was looking back at me, giving me a lengthy stare that was almost screaming asking me was happening but I simply patted his leg, indicating not to worry.

“This is really good, Linda,” I nodded.

“I couldn’t have done it without my two helpers,” Linda smiled at Harry and I. 

“No problem,” His arm wrapped around my shoulder and gave me a pinch. Lucas shifted uncomfortably in his seat, after the gesture and it was clear Harry noticed his reaction as he stared attentively at him.

“You know who would always cook with me? Kelly. Your mother, Shana.” Linda clapped her hands together.

“I remember.”

“Oh, she had the best recipes. She taught me how to cook you know?”

“She’s right. Linda had no idea how to cook before she met Kelly,” Doug added.

“I had no idea! My goodness Kelly was so great at everything. I was always jealous. I miss her.”

“She misses you too.”

“I’ve tried to call her, several times. She never picks up. Did you change your number?” She asked. I felt Harry’s arm tighten around me. He was the only other person in the room besides Piper who knew that my mom had left us. 

“No.”

“How about I call her now?” Linda got up to grab a phone.

“No, don’t.” I said. Harry let me go. He was staring at me, clearly confused and surprised that they didn’t know.

“Oh, one quick call,” Linda started to dial.

“She won’t pick up.”

“It’s worth a shot.”

“She’s not there!” I yelped. Piper was starting to break down, Lucas and Kendra both staring at her and trying to comfort her, confused.

“Does she have work?” Linda set the phone down.

“No…” The tears started to form in my eyes.

“Piper,” Harry whispered to her across the table and held his arms open. Piper quickly got up from her chair and ran towards him. Harry lifted my sister into his lap, trying to soothe her

“What is going on?” Doug looked between everyone.

“She not home. She hasn’t been home for almost a year. She left us,” I explained. Harry was trying to hold my sister while comfort me as well.

“Left you?” Kendra questioned in disbelief. 

“After dad died she got super depressed and got into drugs. She left Piper and I a lot and I just thought it was one of those time again but this time she didn’t come home for months. She chose the drugs and the streets over us.”

“But sweetheart, did you tell anybody? Someone could have found her and gotten her help?” Linda was crying.

“No! If we did Piper and I would be put in foster care. I didn’t want that for Piper. She didn’t deserve that. I left the house and I’m renting an small apartment for the two of us instead.”

“For a year? A whole year and we had never known?” She was shocked but I just nodded. “We should have never left Seattle, Doug. Never have left these two. The minute their father died we should of moved straight back to Washington.”

“Don’t blame this on me, Linda. How was I suppose to know Kelly was going to abandon them?”

“Don’t argue, please. It’s nobody’s fault,” I pleaded. Kendra crossed over to the other side to sit next to Harry to help him comfort Piper. 

“Did you know?” Lucas asked Harry was a straight face. Harry looked at me, not sure what to say.

“Yes, he did know,” I answered for him. Lucas’ head fell in his hands.

“So let me get this straight, you told him first over us!” He started to yell.

“Oh god, Lucas. Don’t pull that shit on me now!” I whined my face rolling with tears.

“Shana! We had every single right to know about Kelly before him. That’s my mothers best friend. I’m your best friend. Our families grew together and you tell some stranger what’s going on in your life before people who’ve known you forever.”

“What the hell did you want me to do, Lucas? I was in Seattle with my little sister and you all were here in California. My first thought wasn’t to call you, my first thought was to take care of her. I had no idea where she was. I wasn’t looking for sympathy, I was looking for the best way to take care of my sister.”

“We have always been there for you, Shana. Always. Sorry that we aren’t celebrities or can buy you fancy cars but we were there for you. Telling him before family, was a real bitchy move your part.”

“Hey! Easy, don’t call my girlfriend a bitch!” Harry yelled over my sister’s shoulder. 

“Why don’t you just go the hell away! Everything was fine, until you came around,” Lucas was shouting, Doug trying to push him into the other room.

“Clearly everything wasn’t fine even before I came around! You never made the effort to go and see Shana and Piper in Seattle where they were struggling and you had no clue whatsoever.”

“We’re leaving,” I stood up. 

“Shana,” Linda stepped in front of me.

“I’m sorry dinner was kind of ruined, Linda,” I took her into my arms. I hugged a sobbing Kendra goodbye as well and Harry let go of Piper to let her say her goodbyes. She rushed back to his side, afterwards taking his hand as we walked out to the car. 

The ride back was not as silent as the ride there as both Piper and I cried. Harry decided it was best for him to drive as I couldn’t hold my composure. We had taken one of Harry’s own purchased car instead of a rental and we weren’t allowed to park in the back of the hotel. We were told we had to stop in front and Harry had to give his keys to someone to park it for him. Unlucky for us, the boys had been staying in the hotel for a while and each day more and more fans stood outside. 

“I’m going to grab Piper and you go straight inside okay?” Harry told me as we started to approach. I nodded. When I stepped out, I threw a hand over my face trying to hide my tear streaked cheeks. Behind me, Harry opened the back door and lifted Piper up into his arms, trying to protect her as well. He carried her, as security guards guided us through the fans and inside. Stressed, we walked past some squealing girls who were lucky enough to get a hotel room here. Harry simply waved as they called out his name and I sent a forced smile when they called mine. Piper ignored them completely when they called hers. She just held Harry’s hand a continued walking. When we got there, the three of us entered my hotel room, kicking off our shoes with sighs all of us unsure of what to do next.

“Can I sleep here tonight?” Piper asked in a small voice. It was technically her room as well but she always liked to sleep over at Lottie’s instead.

“Of course you can,” I told her. All three of us, without taking the time to change out of our clothes crawled into the bed. Harry and I both on the ends and Piper in the middle. 

Exactly what I thought would be the perfect dinner turned to absolute disaster. I hated this day, I just wanted to get rid of it.