Chapter 39

Tris POV

It's been a few days of constant torture and loneliness. I guess i haven't been completely alone, I have Marlene, but she just isn't herself, making me feel more alone then ever. However,
I haven't been myself either. I'm honestly not myself without happiness, my happiness is Tobias. And now I finally realize how much I actually do need him. He completes me. And right now I'm nothing without him. I don't blame Marlene for feeling so weak, tired, lost. I feel the same exact way. Our day consists of nothing but sitting on our beds staring at the wall, occasionally crying, doing absolutely, NOTHING. The silence rings my ears and memories of Tobias flood my mind.

"Hey... Tris?" Marlene says in a soft croaky voice. I snap out of my daze, sit up and turn to face her.

"Yes?" I see she has a few new tears running down her face, but she quickly whipes them with the ends of the sleeves on her shirt. She must be thinking about Uriah again. Sometimes she's strange, because she doesn't admit how much she loves him. She's not as open as some people, but after getting to know her you can read her expressions like reading a book.

"Do you think they're coming? What if they have completely given up on us. What if they've just moved on." She says fighting tears. My stomach drops.

Would they actually just forget about us and move on? No. They can't possibly do that. Never. Well. Could they?

"Don't worry Mar. They'll come eventually... I hope." She nods her head and stares at the floor.

"I just don't want this to be the rest of our life." She says sniffling.

"I know," I say staring at the floor now. "But it's not going to be."

She perks up a little.

"What do you mean?" She says suddenly looking into my eyes.

"I mean," I start, "this isn't going to be the rest of our lives, it won't be, I won't let that happen." She smiles a small, weak, and broken, smile but it she still has hints of sadness all over her face.

"They're coming, don't worry." I say reassuringly.

"What? How do you know?" She says with more hope then I've seen in a long time.

"Because I know," I say. "I know"