A Puppet On A String- Chapter Three

I woke up from a nightmare, my chest felt tight and I scrambled out of bed almost falling on the floor. It was about the coach and when I found him on the cold ground lifeless. I ran my fingers through my hair and went down stairs, I jugged down a glass of orange juice and headed to the Mystic Grill to meet Bonnie and Caroline. 'All I know is he was kissing my neck or.....biting it.' Caroline trailed off into her thoughts. 'Why would you let him do that?' Bonnie demanded and she shrugged sheepishly. 'I just feel like there are gaps in my memory.' I looked at the scar on Caroline's neck from Damon and it reminded me of the bite from the animal on the coach. I started to feel all wheezy, I suddenly felt all hot. 'Well he can't hurt you anymore so don't stress.' By saying this not only was I trying to soothe Caroline but distract myself from my nightmare.

Today Caroline was throwing a fundraiser for the coach, a lot of people attended. Remember how I said I hate socialising? Yeah well that hasn't changed but I was forced to go. I wore shorts and a bikini top, it was actually Caroline's bikini top. I felt really self conscious in the bikini top, especially because I was so white. Like a little China porcelain doll. 'Hey.' Matt said and began washing the same car I was.
I grinned. 'Hey Matt.' He smiled back trying to keep his eyes from wandering my body. 'I'm sorry it's just you look great.' I assumed he realised I noticed him checking me out, I blushed at his compliment. 'So do you.' I laughed and threw my soapy sponge at him, he laughed and grabbed a hose spraying me with it. Childishly I ran away laughing and he chased me with the hose, after a lap around the car he finally caught me and sprayed my face with the hose. 'No fair.' I whined poking my tongue out and picked up the sponge to continue cleaning the car. When I thought about how I was acting I felt stupid and hoped no one had saw. I looked in the car window at my reflection and grew self conscious again.
I turned around and heard a scream someone's car was on fire, I looked to the other side of the car and Bonnie was in a trance, once she broke her eye contact with the car the flames disappeared. I rushed over to Bonnie. 'Hey are you okay?' I asked and she nodded a little. 'Did anyone see?' I pressed and she finally looked over her shoulder to me. 'Only Stefan.' I reminded her again to tell her Gram's about the incident with the candles and now this.

I had never thought about all the things that could go wrong in the world and all the loop holes. What if there were things bigger and stronger than humans that we didn't understand? Some hidden secrets and danger.

I started getting into a routine now in Mystic Falls. I'd say hello to familiar faces share conversations with my new friends. But I still felt empty like I was missing something in my life, a whole in my chest. Maybe I was just feeling lonely since mum died. Unsatisfied with my lack of answers I walked home, Matt offered to drive me but I was starting to like walking. My shoes crunched along the gravel leading up to my house, it reminded me of the snow back in Washington. I cooked dad and I some sunny side eggs with maple bacon and golden brown toast, it was sort of breakfast lunch. 'I saw you and that Matt fellow together when I went to get my truck washed today.' I knew dad wasn't asking because he wanted to talk boys, he was going all protective again. 'Don't worry we are just friends.' I giggled and poured some tomato sauce on my bacon. 'I just want you to be happy and when you're ready-' He began a little ramble and I knew I had to cut him off. 'I'm not having a relationship anytime soon so now isn't the time for your lecture.' He pointed his fork at me. 'True.' He gave me a side smile and continued eating. I jumped when out of no where the doorbell rang. 'I will get it.' I told him and I rushed to the door, when I opened it I saw Caroline there holding a pink duffle bag. 'I'm in serious need of a girls night.' She stated and I invited her in, to my surprise dad let her stay over, in fact he quiet liked her I could tell. Caroline insisted on us staying up and watching chick flicks. 'So you and Matt seem pretty close are you guys a thing?' She teased nudging me.
I laughed lightly. 'No we are just friends.'
'Well I can see he wants to be more.'
'Really?'
'I swear Leah you're blind.' She joked and grabbed herself a handful of popcorn. Maybe I should give Matt a chance? I mean whats stopping me he is nice, good looking and really sweet. But he was just a friend and I wanted to keep it that way at the same time, this was all so confusing. Why would someone like Matt like me anyways, I was just a boring clumsy nobody. There is no way I'd be able to compare to his ex Elena anyways, she is popular and the girl everyone wants to be. And I'm just me. Leah Black the towns new girl.