The Red Dress-Chapter Seventeen

Freedom was so close it was, touchable, taste able. Signs of it were everywhere. Posters crowded together the closer you got to Mystic Falls High School, and the trash and wore a colourful skirt of spilled over fliers. In the mail senior year students were sent reminders to buy yearbooks, class rings, and announcements; dealings to order graduation gowns, hats and tassels; neon bright sales pitches the juniors campaigning for class office; ominous rose weathered advertisements for this years prom. I was going through all the papers when there was a knock at the door, a loud one too.

I got up and jogged over to the door, I opened it and a unfamiliar man was standing on the porch. He was dressed in a suit, paired with a checkered tie. He had platinum blonde hair and emerald green eyes, he stood tall and proud. 'Hello, Leah Black is it?' His icy voice sent chills down my spine. 'Yeah.. Who are you?' I asked, I made sure the door wasn't fully open just in case. 'I'm Spencer Clearwater, an associate of the Blacks. May I come in?' I thought for a moment until I nodded and gestured for him to come inside. 'I'd offer you a drink but the Salvatore's only stock liquor.' I told him, smiling to myself. I then took a seat by the fire, he followed me and sat directly in front of me. 'I'm fine anyways.' He replied and sat tall in his seat, making me self conscious about slouching. 'So I'm sure you want to know why I'm here.' He begun and waited until I nodded to proceed. 'Well as I said I am friends with your family and they sent me out here to keep an eye on you.' I raised a brow and shook my head. 'Well that does sound like them.' I scoffed and he nodded, smiling crookedly. Either it was his perfect manor or that he was a form of family comforted me. 'Hey, tomorrow is the Mystic Falls pageant and maybe you could come and keep an eye on me?' I suggested and watched as he scanned my face, trying to find some sign of what I meant. 'Well I guess I will be there.' Spencer assured, he then leant forward. 'You know I was supposed to be your suitor.' I laughed loudly, almost louder than I should have but I stopped when I saw his seriousness. 'You aren't joking?' I questioned biting my lip and he shook his head. Great so my family was crazy now too. I then told him. 'Getting married to a stranger is sinister in my opinion.' He seemed disappointed in my response, it was like he had burned his throat. Or was something else burning his throat?

'Well hopefully I won't be a stranger soon.'

After Spencer left the house Damon Salvatore walked in, informing me about Elena and the cure to vampirism. Although I was there for him and all I couldn't help but tune out every now and then thinking about Spencer. Finally I had a date to a event for once, usually I'm the awkward third wheel. Or I'm just awkward in general, I couldn't really tell anymore. 'So anyways how's your creepy hybrid stalker?' Damon joked wriggling his eyebrows seductively, I elbowed him laughing. 'I don't know I'm trying to avoid him.' He could tell something was bothering me and got me a glass of whiskey.

Caroline's POV
'Woah woah stop, those flowers go in the back as indicated by the floral chart that you guys had plenty of time to memorise!' I shouted at the three girls and I gestured my hands making them walk the other direction. Irritated I turned back to my clipboard looking over at all the things needed to be done. 'Now how would I know I'd find you at the helmet of this ship.' Klaus teased smirking at me, as he came closed I rolled my eyes looking down at my clipboard. 'Go away I'm busy.' He simply shook his head at my words. 'I was promised a date with your friend in exchange for hybrids.'
'Yes. But she already has a date tonight with a normal non psychopath.' He seemed angry at this and I looked down at his balled up fists, but his anger wiped away to a smirk. 'Well I'm sure the reigning Miss Mystic Falls won't be hosting the party alone. And I assume you're not taking Tyler and after his indiscretions with his lady were wolf friend. So neither of us can go with who we like.' I thought about this for a moment, I mean it would make Tyler jealous and it was true I didn't have a date. 'Fine if you insist on coming meet me here 2pm.' I agreed bluntly and began walking up the steps, leading to the Lockwood mansion. 'Black tie optional and I already have a dress so don't even think of getting me so much as a corsage, you understand?' I turned around pointing a finger at the hybrid who just nodded innocently. 'I'll see you tomorrow Caroline.' I ignored him and continued inside.