Graduation-Chapter Nineteen

While everyone went to go find the cure I stayed in Mystic Falls, almost like a patrol dog to make sure nothing bad happened while they were all gone. I had to admit it made me feel important for once. I got a call from Elena once they got home that Jeremy, her little brother was dead. Some more disappointing news was every graduation invitation I sent to my family members, was sent back with a reason to why they couldn't make it.

Time Skip
Elena walked down stairs slowly. 'Where's Bonnie?' Stefan analysed her before answering. 'We told Matt to take her home. We thought it'd be best.' I watched anxiously as Elena moved further to the living room, she seemed off. 'Okay. Guess we're going to have to do this the old fashioned way.' I knitted my brows together, looking at the emotionless Elena. 'Do what?'
All heads turned to the doorway as Damon bursted in carrying the empty shell of Jeremy Gilbert. 'Put his body on the couch.' The doppelgänger ordered Damon and he placed him on the sofa just as directed. She then moved to the fireplace, appearing to be looking for something. Caroline looked at me before gazing over to Elena once more. 'Elena, you need help finding something?' Elena moved away from the fireplace, holding a match box in the air. 'Got it,' she grabbed a bottle of alcohol and started pouring it out everywhere. Stefan stepped forward, he was panicking. 'What are you doing?'
'We need a cover story. We burn the house down with him ins of it.' Elena started throwing a tantrum, literally throwing things. She was screaming out vicious words and bringing up all the dead people in her life. Caroline and Stefan tried to stop her but I didn't, I just stood back and let it all happen. 'Help her Damon.' Pleaded Stefan as he looked to his older brother and back to Elena.
'I can help you. I want you to let me help you. I can help you.' He whispered to Elena.
'How?'
'Turn it off.'
Stefan stepped forward shaking his head sharply. 'What? No.' Damon ignored him and continued speaking to Elena. 'Just turn it off, and everything will go away. That's what you have to do. It's what I want you to do. Just turn it off.'
And so she did.

Caroline and I stood from a distance watching as the house burnt down. I pictured my dad rushing to the scene, he would've tried to save Jeremy.
'I can't believe she did it.' Caroline breathed out, I saw the bright flames in her eyes. I nodded my head, chewing down on my bottom lip. 'She was the one usually keeping it together out of all of us.' Caroline nodded in agreement. We stood there silently, the sounds of emergency services alarms filled our ears.
I felt like everything was just slipping away. And everyone.

The next day I walked through the school corridors that was filled with mindless teenage chatter. I saw Matt and Caroline talking to each other, I assumed about Elena. 'Yeah I called her last night. She's fine. Just a little drained from, you know everything..' Caroline told Matt, I walked up to them slowly. 'Can't really blame her.' I said making my presence known. Elena then joined the group, instead of greeting them all she turned to Caroline. 'I have an idea. Can you get me my old spot on the cheerleading squad.' I watched as Caroline frowned looking slightly startled. 'I mean, technically yeah because I'm captain. But I thought you hated cheerleading.' This was true I remember when I first came to Mystic Falls and Caroline tried to get me and Elena onto the team. 'I did. Now I think it would be fun to jump around and toss people into the air. And it's not like the routines are hard.' Caroline looked as though she was about to argue until Matt shot her a glare and she smiled at the doppelgänger. 'I... Think that would make Damon really happy.' Elena nodded smiling and skipped away down the hall. I had to keep reminding myself about the sire bond, otherwise mentioning Damon would just be unnecessary. Caroline turned to me with a smirk and I shook my head. 'Don't even think about it. I have two left feet.' I reminded her, she folded her arms and groaned. 'Fine but I need backup so you're on side line duty.'

When the cheerleading competition came around I wasn't ready. In the fact that I had never been to one and it was all new for me. I looked around at the crowds of people until I saw Stefan and walked over to him. 'Why aren't you up there?' He asked pointing at one of the cheer squads who were doing their routine on stage. I chuckled softly. 'I would just be a hazard up there. You would definitely see some broken ankles.' He laughed at this, but I wasn't joking either. Everyone in the audience clapped as the girls got off stage, they all looked beautiful making me feel a little self conscious. The mystic falls group got up and Stefan and I cheered loudly. The routine so far seemed to be going great, or I "spoke" to soon. Caroline fell to the ground and everyone gasped. 'Elena didn't catch her.' Stefan pointed out and she smirked at us before leaving the stage. I couldn't believe it, I had to blink a few times to make sure it was real. Elena wouldn't hurt a fly let alone her best friend... Right?