College-Chapter Twenty

The summer before college should be one of the most exhilarating experiences of a young adults life. Some find love, some travel some prepare themselves for college but everyone is doing something. Keeping themselves busy. I spent my time like a walking zombie, time passes even when it seems most impossible. The night time was the worst, when I was fully alone. I would lay in bed and it wouldn't take long till the pain made its appearance. It was a crippling thing, this sensation that a huge hole had been punched through my chest, unsealed gashes around my heart that continued to throb. Rationally, I knew my lungs must still be intact, yet I gasped for air and my head spun like my efforts yielded me nothing. I knew my heart was still beating although my hands felt blue and cold. Every night I curled inward, hugging my ribs to hold myself together. I scrambled for my numbness, my denial, but it evaded me. All these pains stayed with me just like a vital organ in your body, though sometimes I would catch myself during the day's forgetting. Only for a sweet moment, but then the dark cloud, rains over me again. This pain consumes me day in, day out.

Today was the day I actually wasn't dreading. It would give me an excuse to get my mind off him and maybe even feel normal. I packed a rather large suitcase of clothes, my trade mark strawberry shampoo and other things like photos, books. Procrastination made me late to my first day, at least there were no classes held. When I arrived to my dorm and a girl with blonde hair and braces greeted me. 'Hi I'm Jessica!' She greeted, I looked around the room and there was a small cream sofa and a mini fridge. Caroline knew Klaus leaving had me in isolation so she set me up in a dorm with a stranger. 'Hey, I'm Leah.' I mumbled and she nodded brightly. 'Yeah I know, here let me show you our room.' The word "our" didn't please me that much. She walked me over to the room on the right side of the dorm, containing two beds on either side. I placed my suitcase down and took in a big breath of air, the pain had caught up with me again. 'You can choose whichever bed you want.' Jessica added when she watched me look around the room.
Soon after I met up with Caroline,Elena and their roommate Megan.
'So your current boyfriend Damian?' Megan asked trying to wrap her head around all of it. 'Damon.' Elena corrected. 'Right. Is your ex's brother?' Elena nodded correcting her again. 'Stefan.' Megan thought for a moment. 'So you and Stefan are friends but he left three months ago without saying goodbye?' Elena scrunched up her nose. 'Do you think I should call him?'
'No!' Megan and Caroline shouted in a unison. Elena just shrugged it off smiling and Megan looked at Caroline. 'Do you have a boyfriend, Caroline?'
'I do his names Tyler.' She boosted and I grimaced as Megan looked over at me, suggesting I spill my own relationship status. 'Nope.' I said making the "p" pop, I was trying to cover the pain in my voice. Three months ago I would of told her it's complicated. 'Speaking of minding ones own business.' Caroline began trying to change the topic, she stood infront of us all, folding her arms. 'Let's talk roommate ground rules, privacy is very important to me.'
Megan smiled at her. 'Same here.'
'I have low blood sugar so my diets a bit picky, so keep your paws off my stuff.'
'We will split the shelves.'
'And if I suddenly get up to leave or disappear for a while, don't follow me or look for me.'
'Okay sounds good.' Megan agreed and Elena chuckled at this awkwardly, I just tugged a smile. 'Great then we agree on everything.' Chimed Elena. A unfamiliar guy came up to us handing a flyer to Caroline. 'Excuse me ladies, a party at Whitmore tonight.' Elena raised her brow as she noticed the guy was eyeing off Caroline. 'We will be there.' He licked his lips looking at Caroline. 'I hope so.' I watched him as he walked off and I turned back to them shaking my head. 'I'm not going.' I protested and Elena frowned at me. 'Come on it will be fun.' I scoffed at her comment and thought for a moment, my plan was to be normal again and to do that I probably needed to attend. 'Fine.' She cheered at my response and hugged me. 'I love college!'

I went back to my dorm and Jessica was their unpacking her boxes, when I walked in she immediately stopped. 'Oh sorry, do you mind?' She asked alarmed, I assumed she meant by decorating the living area with her stuff. 'No go ahead, I think it looks great.' I said absentmindedly, not really taking any notice. Because the truth was I didn't actually care, it took me a lot lately to care about anything. I headed into the bathroom and brushed my teeth and hair, trying to make myself at least a bit presentable.
When I got to the party I looked around everywhere but I couldn't find Caroline or Elena, so I just stood in the corner of the room. 'Hey you look like you need a drink.' A guy said and handed me a drink. 'I'm James by the way.' I took a sip of my drink before replying. 'I'm Leah.' He shook my hand and I smiled at him vaguely. 'You don't seem like you're enjoying yourself.' James pointed out, his voice was husky. 'I'm not much of the party girl.' I admitted. 'I'm more of a stay at home kind of girl.'
'I'm a stay at home kind of guy.'
'Really?'
'No not really.' He said and I laughed at this, and for once it wasn't fake either. And my pain was almost gone. Which was a first. I looked over his shoulder seeing two guys watching James smirking at us. 'Who are your friends?' I asked and pointed my finger subtly at them, he didn't even have to turn around to know who I was talking about. 'Issac and Logan, they are dirty fighters.'
'Good friends.' I raised one eyebrow.
'Yeah they are, just competitive.' He told me and took a sip of his drink, his friends soon approached jumping all over him. 'Speak of the devil an the devil will appear.' He mumbled so only I could hear, winking slightly. I chuckled to myself and then my phone vibrated, I was getting a call from Elena. 'Hey Leah, Megan just got attacked by a vampire. Come meet us quickly.' I agreed and hung up quickly. When I got there they told me everyone believed she took her own life, they didn't understand why because there was a visible vampire bite.