The Awakening-Chapter Twenty Two

'So what happened?' James asked from across the table we were sitting at in the campus library, I pulled my head away from the text book, tilting it in confusion. 'You have gone back to the way you were when I first met you.' He paused looking around the room that was decorated with computes, purple bean bags and book shelves. 'You are almost like not human again, you try to wrap your arms around yourself to hold yourself together or attempt to.. You're just so sad.' I didn't realise how obvious my pain was on the outside, I guess I had just been so oblivious to things lately. 'I want to know what happened to you.' He demanded, drumming his grey lead on the table impatiently.
I sighed clutching my forehead. 'Well I guess a bad break up.. Sort of.' I guess you could describe it like that, James nodded at this thinking for a moment. He surveyed my expression trying to get anymore clues out of me. 'Sorry.' He apologised gruffly, his head hung low and he began reading his text book. When he said about me being sad I guess that was a understatement, I was aching. So in an attempt to remedy my pain I watched a sad romance chick flick with my roommate Jessica, I just sat there emotionless while she had gone through a box of tissues crying. Maybe like a vampire I had turned off some sort of switch, I know it doesn't work like that but I felt like I was numb. The warm sun hit my pale skin and I took a deep breath in, the light reflected on my vervain necklace making it twinkle. 'What are you thinking about?' James asked me and I had to think quickly, I couldn't actually tell him I was thinking about vampires. 'The sun.' I replied hastily and he looked out the window, where the sun was shining from. Peter nodded. 'Yeah it's nice.'

After my study session with James, I had a class with Bonnie, Elena and Caroline.
'So we all agree? No more moping about life's little failures and no more dabbling in the dark arts of boyfriends pasts, this is a fresh start.' Caroline said, her eyes were beaming with happiness. 'Couldn't agree more. I happen to love fresh starts.' Elena replied, I thought for a moment, maybe this was the key to ending my misery? 'I'm in.' I smiled and Caroline hugged me tightly before taking a seat. 'I haven't been moping or dabbling.' Bonnie piped up and Caroline rolled her eyes. 'No one likes a bragger, Bonnie.' She then continued rambling on. 'Today is the dawning of a new era, this is stage one in our metamorphosis into the land of the brave, free and single.'
Elena raised a brow. 'Bonnie isn't single.'
'Bonnie's best friends are single which makes her single adhesive, so she can be our wing woman.' I chuckled at Caroline's words and she handed Elena and flyer.
'Whitmores annual bitter ball?' I read in judgement and Elena continued on. 'A night to celebrate broken hearts, jilted lovers and bitter singles. So this is our fresh start?'
Caroline shook her head in disagreement. 'No. This is our purge or cleanse, this is where we rid ourselves from the baggage better known as our tragic, mortifying first semester.' Elena and I looked at each other for a moment and agreed to go with Caroline. 'Bonnie you in?' Caroline questioned and Bonnie faced her sheepishly. 'Yeah it sounds like fun.' I could tell she wasn't really listening. Class today was hard, in fact I had to raise my hand at least three times to get the professor to repeat the instructions, but that was the least to my embarrassment. I had forgotten to read a whole chapter out of the text book and didn't know any questions in the pop quiz we had been given.

After an awful day I got to my dorm and headed straight to the mini fridge. When I opened it I realised it was mainly filled with sodas, like I said Jessica was a soda freak. 'Hey, Leah.' She greeted as she slumped her way into the dorm, pulling her backpack off her shoulders. 'Hey.' I replied and pulled out a tonic water, I almost chugged down the whole bottle. 'So there is a singles dance on tonight, did you want to come?' I asked Jessica who was going through her backpack.
'Uh, I don't know.' She hesitated a bit, well to be fair it wasn't appealing to me either. 'We can go together.' I wiggled my brows laughing lightly, trying to make her more interested. Jessica thought for a while before finally agreeing. 'Yeah I guess...'