Don't Fall, Okay?

As soon as I got home, I threw both doors open at either end of my loft, savouring the breeze that flew in. But even the fresh air couldn't quell my nervousness threatening to burst through my skin.

I flopped on my bed and curled into a ball for a few moments, as though the pressure from hugging myself would calm me down. I was shaking a bit. What had I done? Derek was coming over, to my home in—checked my watch again—thirty-seven minutes.

Thirty-seven minutes. Holy shit.

Clothes. I needed new ones, something different than my gym attire. I scrambled off my bed and found my closet open already. I paused, taking a deep breath.

It was just Derek coming over, he wasn't scary. He was my friend. My very attractive friend.

I clenched my jaw and snatched a pair of jeans from out of my drawer. I hastily peeled off my leggings and threw them in my laundry hamper after replacing them with the jeans on my legs. I slipped off my shirt, and glanced at the full-body mirror across the loft near the bathroom door.

Was this going to be a date? Would he reclaim his missed opportunity to kiss me tonight? I hoped so.

My gaze fell to my bra. For a split second I imagined what Derek would think of it, not that it mattered. It was just a regular sports bra, but it wasn't exactly the kind of bra one would wear on a date. If this even was a date. It probably wasn't. It didn't matter anyhow, he wouldn't be taking my shirt off even if it was. I doubted we'd so much as kiss in the first place.

Without considering it any longer, I swapped that bra with a red and black plaid print push-up and threw a grey tank top over it. This wasn't a date, so I didn't have to wear anything fancy anyway.

Once I was done, I laid back down on my bed. I struggled to suffocate the persistent question of "was this a date?" It was beginning to drive me crazy.

What would we even do once he got here? I didn't have a plan.

I made my way over to the door of the loft that looked out on the driveway and sat down, my feet dangling over the edge as I watched the road at the end of our property. I huffed, sliding my hair out of its ponytail, the various braids swishing to rest on my shoulders. After undoing the braids I had, I set about twisting my hair into two french rope braids, one on either side, leaving the rest of it down. I rarely wore my hair down, but when I did, I almost always had some kind of braid in the top half. My personal favourite was the Dutch braid but had quite a full arsenal of other styles.

My heart gave a stupid little lurch when I caught sight of Derek's gleaming hubcaps as the jet black Camaro rolled up the driveway. I silently cursed him for having this sudden, strange effect on me. I hoped I wouldn't start to resent him for it.

I got up, leaning against the door frame to the open air, gathering one last breath before skipping down the stairs to meet him. Magellan, the proud, coal black horse who belonged to my grandfather and our biggest horse, nickered as I passed. I smiled at the sweet animal. If any of our horses lived up to the expression "gentle giant", it was Magellan. He was a huge, strong animal, yet I had never known him to give anyone any trouble.

I swallowed hard as I stepped outside the barn, blinking in the setting sunlight. Derek parked next to my truck and killed the engine, stepping out. My stomach did a backflip at the mere sight of him.

He wore a black t-shirt that showed off his powerful body, absolutely chorded with muscle, and pale jeans. Solid. This was not a dress-up occasion.

"Hey," he said, running a hand through his spiked hair. "You look nice."

"Oh, thanks," I replied, grinning as my heart pounded away. "You do too."