Sound Familiar?

Derek's POV

I hadn't allowed myself to hope for this outcome, to even be talking to her again, and Lillian stepped so close I nearly growled with restraint. Did she still hate me? Would she after hearing what happened to Paige? What I did to her. Did she still--

All my thoughts vanished as her lips collided with mine. Suddenly, it was just her against me, with that strange heart beating, her chest rising and falling furiously as her lips caressed mine. I couldn't move or even breathe as the weight of what was happening smashed into me. My head spun but I held her tightly and kissed back. Just when my brain began to process, she pulled away.

"And I still love you, Derek," she breathed, eyes as bright as the moon that shone outside the barn. "And I'm not going to stay away. I don't care what you say. I know I screwed up but I'm here now, and I love you."

The words snapped the leash I'd been keeping on myself, and I lunged, capturing her lips with mine and holding her tight against me. The warmth of her, the security I felt holding her... It was all I'd hoped for since we last saw each other. "I love you, too," I replied, the words coming out more guttural than I anticipated. Lillian didn't seem to care as she hugged me snugly.

She wasn't afraid of what I was. It felt like those eyes could see straight through me and she wasn't afraid of what she saw. Relief rippled through me as I turned and pressed her against the wall. The little moan that came from her lips set my blood on fire.

I shuffled back toward her bed, her hands in my hair, and I sat down, pulling her with me. The pain in my back was secondary as I leaned back and pulled her on top of me. I wanted her now. Right now.

"Wait--" she breathed, laying a hand on my chest and sitting up, her hair a waterfall of gold overtop of me. "You almost died tonight, Derek," she said.

"So? I'm better now," I murmured against her lips, going in for another kiss.

"You're delicate," she replied, and I blinked.

"I'm what?" I demanded, eyebrows raised.

"I don't want to hurt you," she said sincerely, but then paused, thinking, biting her lip as though she was trying to contain a laugh.

"What could possibly be funny?" I nearly snarled, but I felt a smile creep to my lips despite it.

"Sound familiar, Derek?" she asked, making a face. "'I'm sorry Lillian, I just don't want to hurt you.'"

"You're kidding," I deadpanned, sitting up. The memory of being together in the loft while Lillian was healing and I refused to do anything but kiss her came sweeping back. "Lil, this is different."

"Is it?"

"You took a human amount of time to heal. It doesn't take me that long, I'm already fine," I insisted.

She snorted and got off me, moving to sit cross-legged next to me. "Maybe you're right," she admitted, the sentiment not reaching her eyes. "But I'm exhausted, and I think if we had sex right now I'd fall asleep halfway through."

I laughed out loud, rolling over and rising to my knees so our faces were level. "You have no faith in my skills," I purred, kissing her again, then pulled back and smiled. "But that's fair. We should sleep."

Lillian blushed, pushing the covers of her bed and crawling under them. She was such a badass, yet she could still be as cute as a button. She arched an eyebrow once she was under the blankets up to her chin. "Try not to get blood all over my bed, okay?"

I followed her under the blankets, twisting to lie on my stomach, my back still stinging. "I'll get right on that," I said into the pillow, the linens smelling so much of her it made my chest ache. The fact that I was even in this bed with her. That I was alive. Everything was beautifully soft, such a contrast to the last few hours. Lillian's feet brushed against mine, warm, the comfort of the action brushing up against my heart.

After a long silence, long enough for me to think she'd passed out, she spoke. "I'm looking forward to putting those skills of yours to the test."

I smiled, pricking my ears for her heartbeat, satisfied by the change in speed. I didn't make any move to touch her; I didn't want to tempt her or myself, the words were enough.

"Me too, babe."

A/N: Wow, I think I'm way more hilarious than I am, yikes. I'm high key procrastinating the f out of writing that sex scene lmao. I can't decide if I should write it in detail or if I should make it a bit more family friendly. Maybe someone can advise? (I'm not saying I'll take the advice, but I might.)

Anyyyyywayyyyy, my weekend was rough. I sat in the same chair for like forty-eight hours straight, wrote a six-hour exam and wrote a bunch of essays. I just want school to be over. I hope you all enjoy the chapter even thought it's so short!

Cheers,

- TAAF_