Schäferin

Lillian's POV

"Why didn't anyone tell me about Kate Argent?" I demanded as I threw open the loft door so hard it slammed against the wall behind it. Derek was already alert from his seat on my bed, the computer in his lap.

"What happened?" was Derek's first question as he got up and came immediately to my side.

"She found me at the fucking library, for God's sake!" I hissed. "She tried to get me to tell her where you were but I didn't, but I barely knew who she was and I think knowing would've made the conversation go a lot more smoothly. I could've just run away. But I had to stick around listening to her be all threatening and bitchy. She shot you, Derek!"

"Well, I'm glad you didn't tell her where I was," he joked, and I shoved him.

"Stop fucking around, this is serious. She could've followed me here. She could be on her way to kill you right now."

"Doubtful," he scoffed as a method of making me feel better.

"Oh my God, Derek, do you not care about your own safety at all?!"

"I do," he replied. "I don't think she or any of the other Argents are stupid enough to trespass onto a well-respected surgeon's property and kill his daughter's boyfriend."

"How are we going to stop her from hurting you?"

"I don't know, but I can protect myself," Derek said. "It's not like I'm completely helpless."

"No," I agreed. "But you need to be careful. This woman isn't joking around. She wants to hurt you. Why is she so obsessed with you, anyway?"

Derek sighed. I could hear a lifetime of stress in that sigh. "Do you remember the fire I told you about? The one that burned down my house and killed my family?"

My stomach dropped as I hesitantly replied, "Yes."

"Well, that was the Argents' doing. They locked them all inside and lit the place up like a bonfire. The only person who survived was my uncle, Peter."

The contents of my stomach rose in my throat. I could've thrown up right then and there. I had no words to respond with. There was nothing I could say to even remotely atone for what they'd done. "Sorry" would never be good enough.

"When were you going to tell me about this?" I breathed.

"Once you found out I was a werewolf, but I never really got a good opportunity before shit hit the fan," Derek admitted and guilt smashed into me like a stack of bricks. I frowned.

"Fair enough," I murmured. "So basically this woman is on a crusade to kill you because you escaped the first time?"

Derek shrugged. "I guess. She's a hunter so I think she's generally obsessed with killing werewolves."

"It's shocking no one has ever arrested her or any of the other Argents," I scoffed. "They've done enough illegal things."

"Who knows, by the end of this Kate might be behind bars," Derek pointed out. "She's putting considerable effort into killing me so I wouldn't be surprised."

"I'm glad we both know self-defence, but I don't think that'll be much use if either of us gets shot."

"Guns are only good for long-range. And I don't really want you near enough to her or her brother Chris to get shot."

I snorted. "It doesn't sound like we'll have much choice if she decides to show up." Even as I said that the thought of getting shot made my blood go cold. Derek getting shot, with his supernatural healing abilities, was one thing. Me getting shot was something entirely different. Humans were so much more delicate. I've lost count of the times my dad or his colleagues had patients bleed out from something like a gunshot wound or a car accident.