Snarl

Lillian's POV

"Y'know," I called to Derek from the inside of Ophelia's paddock. "It would be a lot more helpful if I knew why she's so scared of you."

Ophelia's reaction when Derek hopped to sit on the fence that enclosed the pasture was considerably less violent than their first encounter, but she still cantered away the moment he approached. Ophelia and Ginkgo were now both as far away from us as they could be, in the corner, grazing.

"I don't speak horse," Derek deadpanned, glancing over at me as I scowled.

"I'm just saying," I replied, twisting the end of my braid over my shoulder. "I don't understand why all the horses seem to hate you so much. Ginkgo won't come near you either, and she's usually pretty friendly."

"I couldn't tell you," Derek muttered, squinting into the sun as he looked away, the gleam against his hair like ice.

"Thanks, that was helpful," I snapped.

"I don't know what you want me to say," Derek grumbled, keeping his eyes on Ophelia and Ginkgo. "I don't know why they all hate me, I don't know anything about horses."

"Okay, jeez," I raised my hands, frowning at his defensive response. "Why are you being so defensive?"

"Horses just aren't my thing," Derek replied.

"Well, guess what? This horse is a huge part of my life and if every time you come around she loses her mind, that can't happen. I need her to not be afraid of you."

"And how are you going to do that?" Derek snapped.

"The same way I got her to not be afraid of everything else: exposure."

"So, what? You want me to stand out here all night?"

"No," I sighed, eyes narrowing at his tone. "Sounds like today isn't the day for this."

"It's fine," Derek said. "I just don't want what happened before to happen again. Me being around that horse almost got you killed last time. Forgive me for wanting to not let that happen again."

I paused, my brows furrowing. "So you won't help me?"

Derek sighed. "I will, but I've said this so many times; be careful."

"I will," I promised.

*

I didn't learn much in the next few hours. Ophelia did not take well to Derek, that was for sure, but I'd already known that. At least I found that Gingko was slightly more curious about Derek than Ophelia was, my sister's horse flaring her reddish nostrils and stretching her neck over when Derek occasionally came near. Ophelia continuously bolted whenever Derek so much as looked like he would walk towards her.

As the sun began its descent in the clouded sky, I changed my tactic. Instead of bringing Derek to Ophelia, I brought her to him.

Well, tried to.

"C'mere, Ophelia," I cooed, taking her blue halter in my hand, clicking my tongue as I took a few steps through the breezy grass. She nickered softly, glancing across the paddock with those intelligent eyes, but surprisingly, she walked with me toward Derek. He stood by the gate of the paddock, leaning against the fence, his dark jacket gleaming mutedly in the light.

Every thump of her hooves drove my shock deeper as we approached. Something was bound to go wrong. She'd spent an hour galloping away from him, I wasn't about to believe she would give it up now.

It was almost a relief when Ophelia's steps became shifty and wary, with a subtle stop and start, a lilt on the breeze. And yet, she still moved forward. Even Derek's eyes were narrowed as he assessed the horse willingly walking toward him.