Don't

Lillian's POV

I nearly tripped over my own feet as I scrambled to Ophelia's side, her breathing laboured as she struggled to escape the tangled enthrallment of the razor sharp wire.

"Ophelia," I breathed, pressing a hand to her neck, willing calm into my veins. I had to cut her loose before she tore through her tissue to the bone. Blood oozed from where the wire was imbedded in her flesh, some of it not even visible because of the blood. "Derek!"

I needed wire cutters at best, but I was willing to try anything. I just had to get her out.

"Ophelia, you're okay," I soothed, stroking her neck as she tried to prance around, away from the pain. "No, no-- Stay still--" I needed to call Alan, or dad, or somebody. I needed wire cutters to get her out of this mess. I needed them now. Why the fuck did people use barbed wire?

Ophelia staggered back, her hind legs buckling as she tossed her head, letting out a strangled neigh. I could see the whites of her eyes. She was absolutely terrified. She wouldn't calm down unless I was.

I took a breath, reaching for her bridle. "Easy, girl. Don't move," I eased the reins over her ears, attempting to gain more control. Ophelia's ears were still flat against her neck as she spooked to the side, the wire slicing into her chest. "Whoa, whoa, whoa--"

The damage would just keep getting worse if I didn't get her off her feet--

With a final stumble to get out, Ophelia's front knees caved into the mud, the rest of her tumbling down along with a thud. She landed on her side, thrashing her legs against the wire, grunting breathily. I dropped to the mud with her, my hands instantly at her neck. "Ophelia, you're okay, easy, easy--" I got in front of her, her wide eyes meeting mine. I took hold of her bridle and begged, "Ophelia, stay still, you're okay."

For a moment, she stalled, her breath quieting, and I looked over her shoulder to where Derek stood, likely assuming it best that I dealt with this. His face had turned paper-white, his eyes frozen wide. "Derek, take my phone, call 'Alan Deaton'. He's the vet I work with. Tell him-- Tell him I need wire cutters and to bring a horse trailer. As fast as he can."

I slid my phone out of my pocket, Derek cautiously moving towards us, eyes flicking to Ophelia. I nearly screamed at him to hurry, that now was not the time to be afraid of her. When he got close enough to reach for my phone and took it from me, the world seemed to pause for breath.

Ophelia exploded.

She wrenched her head away from me, but I was still holding her bridle. The mere force threw me hard against the ground, and before I knew what was happening, before I could scramble away--

As she tried to get up, Ophelia's front hooves came crashing down on my chest.

I couldn't remember a time I'd screamed like that, as pain blazed through me like a forest fire. I barely registered the groan of my bones under those hooves, under the sheer weight, the power of her. I couldn't breathe, couldn't think--

Derek yelled my name, but I lifted my arm from the mud, the hand he'd just barely touched. "D-don't--" I breathed. He was the trigger, for whatever reason. He was why Ophelia lost her mind. He couldn't come any closer or she might kill me. A split second later, Ophelia shifted her hoof to the ground, and I sputtered, rolling away, coughing violently.

I gasped for breath, turning back to my horse, back on her side and heaving. Ignoring the burn in my chest, the pain ebbing ever-so-slightly once the pressure was gone, I crawled over to her face. "Shhhhhhh," I whispered, stroking her neck, my voice a wet rasp. I slowly covered her eyes, rubbing smooth circles on her cheek. She gave one final thrash before sighing, her movements slowing and her noises of distress dying down. I nearly sobbed in relief, continuing the comforting touches.