Barbed Wire

Lillian's POV

The sound of Ophelia's hooves was clear against the pavement as we walked down the bending road to Derek's house. I didn't bother urging her into anything but a brisk walk, not on the road. We didn't need to be there in a hurry.

I didn't even tell him I was coming, I merely planned to say hi and go home. Exercising my horse was but an excuse to see him.

I occasionally wondered if I should've said something when he asked what I wanted our relationship to be. I liked that we were exclusive, but maybe I wanted more. I wasn't even sure if I was being honest. I just wanted to see him.

I let Ophelia skip into a trot as the start of Derek's long driveway appeared, taking extra care to steer her away from the rusted barbed wire that lined either side of the entrance. I doubted Derek had been the one to put it in, but I definitely could have done without it there. I made a mental note to ask him to get rid of it He was a handy guy.

Ophelia slid into a languid canter as we continued up the forest-lined driveway, and I grinned, the green air blowing back my hair. I never bothered with a helmet anymore, especially not on Ophelia. I had full trust in her, knowing there was not a thing that could spook her. At least not that I'd exposed her to, which had been everything a standard police horse would be.

I let the steady, three-beat rhythm lull me as we made our way up farther, his house still not yet in view. I definitely would've thought Derek was a serial killer if I'd gone to his house before I really knew him. I didn't know anyone normal who hung out in an abandoned and half-burned house. In any case, once said burned house came into view and I watched the door open with a creak.

Ophelia lurched sideways, ears suddenly pinned back against her neck, letting out a sharp snort.

"Whoa, Ophelia," I snapped. I couldn't remember the last time she spooked like that. It was so unlike her.

Derek stepped out onto the porch, eyebrows raised before he narrowed his eyes. "Lil? What are you doing?"

Ophelia staggered backward, my hips slamming into the horn of her saddle, and I tightened her reins. "What is going on with you?" I murmured to Ophelia, stroking her neck in an attempt to soothe her. "Everything is fine, it's just Derek."

Derek made to step down the porch stairs, and Ophelia let out a strangled whinny, and I instinctively dug my hands into her mane before I even knew what was happening. My heart leapt to my throat as Ophelia reared up, a hoarse noise escaping her. I hardly had time to react as her neck collided with my forehead, and I lost my grip.

I hardly had time to process before I was on the ground with a thud.

"Ophelia!" I called frantically, but the powerful grey horse tossed her head and took off away from me. "No!" True dread and fear sluiced into my gut, cold and oily, as I bit back tears, watching her gallop away. "No, no, no, no--"

Derek was by my side in an instant, hands on my arms. "Are you okay?" His eyes were searching, concern etched in his green irises.

"No!" I screamed, my heart a wild thing in my chest. Shit, shit, shit. "My horse just took off!"

"It's alright, we'll find her," he soothed, and I fought the urge to punch him.

"Derek, I need her back, you d-don't understand," I cried, my hand finding its way to my throat gently. "She doesn't know the woods, I don't know the woods. She could break her leg or get hit by a car--"

"Lil, I know the woods. We'll find her."

*

Together we combed the woods in the direction that Ophelia took off, calling for her. I tried desperately to keep my voice from trembling, but to no avail. I had no idea where my horse was and the thought of all the horrible things that could happen threatened to overtake me. Derek tried to be comforting, but we hardly said anything to each other, save for Ophelia's name.

I cursed myself again and again for bringing her here, to a place she'd never been. It was my fault that something might have happened to her. But I couldn't understand why she'd spooked in the first place. She truly spooked at nothing since I went through the rigorous process of 'bomb-proofing' her. Except--

Except for when I brought her into the barn for the first time. I frowned, visualising Derek's house and the barn. They looked similar enough, both greyish and wooden, maybe she just didn't like big wooden buildings... I shook my head. That shouldn't have happened. I knew Ophelia. That should not have happened.

The sun was dipping down in the sky, the forest darkening. The lack of light did not contribute to our search, nor did it make me feel any better. My mind continuously went to the darkest place imaginable, conjuring the worst possible things that could happen to my beloved horse.

Derek led me through the forest with a purpose, like he knew where he was going. I supposed he did, but it did little to soothe my raging anxiety. I wouldn't stop until we found her.

The thick mud squelched underfoot as we continued into the woods, getting more and more slick as we continued. I still couldn't see her, but suddenly Derek stopped. His nostrils flared slightly his eyes widened, searching the dark woods.

I opened my mouth to ask when a prickly, irritating sensation crawled across my wrists and I nearly winced aloud. It wasn't strictly painful, but more of an irritation that edged the border of pain.

"I think--"

Derek was cut off by a sharp whinny, hoarse and struggling. I didn't even say anything as I tore through the bushes and branches in my way to get to her. I barely felt the bark ripping at my palms and the wet leaves lashing my cheeks.

"OPHELIA!"

I slid to a stop at the sight of her, letting out a strangled cry of my own at what I saw. The beautiful animal was hunched at the side of the road, near a fallen fence post that I was sure she'd snapped with her struggling. My blood turned to lead in my veins as I took in the strands of metal her front legs were tangled in, red already maring her pristine coat.

Barbed wire.

A/N: Thanks for reading everyone! 

Man, this chapter and next may be my two favourite chapters of the book I've written thus far. Get hyped. 

I'd love to know what you all think! I know I say this every chapter but it's still true. 

Anyway, I hope you all have swell days.

-TAAF_