Don't Tempt Me

I was surprised by two things two weeks after I was discharged from the hospital. First, that Derek was still hanging around as much as he was, and second, that neither of us was bored with the other's company.

The air was a dewy, comfortable blanket laid over me as I snuggled under my duvet, Derek chilling with his arms crossed over his stomach next to me. I was fairly sure we hadn't moved at all that week, other than Derek leaving the first few nights to sleep, but then I just asked what the point was if he was just going to come back the next morning. So he started sleeping over, which was half comforting and half infuriating.

It was comforting because I quite liked having him around, even if we were only watching episode after episode of New Girl on Netflix. We'd torn through it and only had two seasons left. I was proud, but it was hard to watch at times because laughing whenever Schmidt did something stupid made my ribs and incision sting.

And it was infuriating because in the hours and hours of being so close to him, moments of nearly losing myself in those eyes and groaning at myself for it, he wouldn't let me do more than kiss him, and only for a few moments at a time. It was about as frustrating as being limited candy as a child, especially knowing that it wasn't easy for him either.

Derek glanced over, arching an eyebrow. "You hungry yet?"

I pressed my lips together as my toes curled. Good Lord, I was going to devour him when I was healed.

"What for?" I knew my grin was coy.

Derek smirked back. "Food."

"Aw, that's so much less exciting than what I had in mind," I pouted jokingly.

"This isn't fun for me either," Derek murmured, leaning down into the pillows pressed against the curved iron headboard.

"Holding back?"

"Yeah," he said, dangerously close to my lips.

"I don't feel too bad for you," I admitted. "This is self-imposed. You could have me if you wanted me."

"I do want you," Derek's voice so deep it bordered a growl. "But I don't want to hurt you."

I glanced up at him, focusing on those vibrant irises. "If you're so worried, just be gentle." My hand drifted to the hem of his grey t-shirt. "It's not that hard." I made sure to note the way he bit his lip and glanced away, a slight smirk spreading across his face.

"Don't tempt me," Derek breathed into my ear, sending a smooth shiver down my spine as I gripped the front of his shirt.

"Why not?"

Derek stared for a moment, his eyes gently falling to my lips. I didn't let him say anything as I leaned in and pressed those smirking lips to his own, his hands immediately combing through my hair. His soft moan that followed sent heat blooming in my cheeks, and I opened my mouth as his tongue brushed my bottom lip. I barely registered the twinge in my chest as I rolled onto my side, tilting my head to access him easier.

Derek inhaled sharply and breathed against my lips, "Tell me if I'm hurting you."

I nipped his bottom lip, threading my hands through his hair harder. "Of course," I replied, sliding my hand up the back of his shirt, hiking it up. I could've sworn he growled, rolling over to push me into the mattress and climb on top of me.

I could hardly hide my grin of triumph as he indulged in my neck, thumbs brushing my hairline, while I tugged at the hem of my shirt. Derek leaned back to allow me room to pull it over my head, kissing my cheek once it was on the floor.

He sat back once more before his face fell as he beheld the still-dark purple bruises on my chest in the shape of hooves, edged with the stitches it took to close the cuts. The thicker, longer cut was just under my ribs, where they did the surgery.