Shredded

A/N: Alright, I have an important question: How did you all find this book? I'm very curious. 

I hope you all enjoy this chapter, and please let me know what you think! I think this chapter should get some interesting reactions. 

Apologies,

- TAAF_

Lillian's POV

I stayed put after my statement was taken. I wasn't sure what I was waiting for, I just knew I didn't leave. I was there for hours. But Derek was somewhere in the building probably pretty bored or nervous or both, so I didn't feel any need to leave and do anything fun while he was shut away.

Stiles texted me what felt like twenty-seven times, to which I did not respond. I didn't have the energy to deal with him, so I eventually put my phone on 'Do Not Disturb' and sat in silence.

Parrish occasionally asked if there was anything he could get for me, which I first responded "Derek Hale." Then the man just looked away pointedly and went back to his work.

It was dark by the time I got a text from Stiles.

From Stiles: Can you meet me outside?

I frowned, but got up and left without another word to Parrish. I assumed I would be back after Stiles said whatever he needed to say.

"What?" I sighed by way of greeting my friend, who was leaning against the railing with a file in his hand. He must have walked here; his Jeep was nowhere to be seen.

"My dad says they're releasing Derek in a few minutes. They ruled the woman's death an animal attack. But I found out some stuff that I think you should know before you go parading around that Derek's innocent," Stiles said. "But it's not pretty."

"What is it?" I demanded, relieved that Derek was found innocent.

"This will be a bit of a shock."

"Just tell me," I snapped.

"Derek killed your grandfather."

I nearly jumped back as the words clanged through me. Killed. My grandfather was killed?

"W-what? He died of a heart attack-- in the barn," I stammered. Whether or not Derek had done it, I was told grandpa died of a heart attack.

"That's what your dad decided to tell you and Rosie, but he died of exsanguination. Blood loss. He was shredded by some kind of animal. The only animal I know doing that kind of shit is your boyfriend."

Any blood that had been in my face drained and the world swayed. Shredded. "Why didn't someone tell me."

"Alaric didn't want to put you or Rosie through any more trauma, and the police ruled it an animal attack, so no one looked into it further. Until I did."

I barely registered what Stiles was saying. Someone had killed my grandfather. Derek, or whoever killed Laura. Jesus Christ.

The image of Laura's mangled corpse flooded my mind. Then what my grandfather's might have looked like. I never saw the body. It was a closed-casket funeral. I never questioned it. My hand flew to my mouth as bile rose in my throat. Stiles' hand clasped my shoulder.

"Don't--" I begged, holding out my other hand to stop him. "This can't be real."

"I have photos--"

"No," I snarled. "I believe that part... that he was killed by an animal."

"By Derek, you mean."

"Goddammit, Stiles," I hissed. "There's another werewolf out there that could've done it."

"Don't you think it's a bit too much of a coincidence, though, that you end up dating the only werewolf in town?" Stiles asked. "Don't you see? He's been trying to get close to you so he can get the job done. Whatever he tried to start with your grandfather."

Derek's face flashed across my mind and nausea threatened to overtake me again. "No. No, that--"

The station doors opened and out walked Derek. I froze. Derek read my eyes and any joy that was on his face vanished into the mist.

"What did you tell her." Derek's voice was a knife.

"Just the truth," Stiles snapped. "She needed to know that her boyfriend is a murderer."

Derek lunged faster than I could react, throwing Stiles against the railing, gripping the front of his shirt. "I dare you to say that again." Stiles was a mouse in the claws of a wolf.

"Derek, stop!" I exclaimed, pulling him away by the back of his jacket. "Do you want to get arrested again?"

Not needing to be told twice, Derek let him go and took a step back. "You have to know whatever he said isn't true," Derek insisted, meeting my gaze.

I narrowed my eyes. "Right."

Derek's face fell. "You don't believe me?"

I shrugged. "I honestly don't know. I don't know anyone who has fangs and claws like you. I mean, until today I figured that if you'd wanted to kill me you would've done it by now. You've literally slept in my bed and could've slit my throat then."

"Lil, I would never do that," Derek said, as Stiles scoffed. "You have to know that."

"I don't know what I know because I didn't know you're a fucking werewolf!"

Silence. Even Stiles knew better than to speak.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you," Derek said softly. "But I am not a murderer."

"You've never killed a single person?" I asked, and I cursed myself for the tears that filled my eyes, dreading the answer.

None came.

The implication of that silence, of that mournful gaze, shattered over me like glass, tearing through my feelings for him. He'd killed people. He was a murderer.

"Lillian, I can explain--"

"Don't." There was no justification for murder. Not one I could conceptualize.

"Please--"

I held up a hand that sliced through the air. "Stay the hell away from me." My snarl was deafening.

Derek's eyes shifted, like he was trying to fight the demand, but he stood frozen and said nothing more.

And as I turned away, I heard my heart shatter.